1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

What did you do to your Yamaha today?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Cutlass84, Jun 4, 2007.

1. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

My Seca was ticking so pulled valve cover , number four intake clearancewas very loose . I realized the last time I did the adjustment I set the clearance with SAE not metric , recently bought metric feeler gauges , made such a rookie mistake surprised the other valves were not further out . Of course I did not have the exact shim but robbed a shim out of my spare engine I needed a 265 but used a 270 it is a little tight but could still get feeler gauge in . Of course in my haste the valve cover seal was not in right on the left side so had a big oil leak , finally got it in . I had not pulled the plugs out in awhile was happy number two was slightly lean but the rest had a light brown tip gave number two a half turn out turn . The ticking is gone took it out for a little spin was nice to ride even if it was short .

2. Jetfixer

So bike was running good took it out and was running rough ??? Checked to make sure fuel line was not kincked was okay , went to check to make sure plug cap was seated while bike was running ....and shocked the crap out of me the cap fell apart . I have spare caps replaced and running great again .

Uxbridge Brule and Vern Nelson like this.
  3. Vern Nelson

Vern Nelson Member

Spent the day designing integrated turn signal mounts for the Blue Turbo so I can take it in for a safety.
    The safety guy said the lens had to have a valid DOT marking on it.. so I couldn't just print the lens. (Sad Face)
    Front lenses are as rare as hen's teeth and worth more than I paid for the bike.
    But back lenses are as common as dirt..... Hmmm! What to do? What to do?

So,,, I present my solution! In red. I like red. I had red. It'll probably be black.

Attached Files:

Fuller56, chacal and Dan Gardner like this.
  4. Dan Gardner

Dan Gardner Well-Known Member Premium Member

5. Huntchuks

Huntchuks Well-Known Member

Nice hack. Make the lens and after inspection put it on.

6. Vern Nelson

Vern Nelson Member

7. Vern Nelson

Vern Nelson Member

I have considered that.... I could also put the lenses from my good turbo on for the inspection.
    However, in an era of policing for profit, I'd go with what passed inspection rather than risk some stupid ticket.

8. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Yesterday I rebalanced the front wheel (lost a wheel weight the other day). Today I snapped one of the clamping bolts for the lower triple clamp. Then I backed it out with a left-twist drill and replaced all four with new bolts.
    Remember fellas, bolts and studs are not forever. They elongate every time they get torqued down, and eventually they become fatigued and twist apart. I had only applied about 1/2 of the required torque when she busted.

9. Uxbridge Brule

Uxbridge Brule Active Member

Removed rear wheel to drop it off tomorrow for a new tire. Got a message from the shop today that said " got your front tire that you ordered in". I hope that it's not a front tire?%!! Will call before I make the drive. On a good note the rear pads look good no de-lamination and have lots of meat left.

Jetfixer likes this.
  10. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

FWIW I ran a front on the rear until the wear bars were showing. Unfortunately Harleys use the same size front as the 750's have for rears, so shops are prone to mis-order. Fortunately that means when you are on a multi-week trip and overestimate how much rear tire you have left it's pretty easy to get a new tire the same day.

Uxbridge Brule likes this.
  11. RJ C

RJ C Member

Pulled the plugs and they are all sooty black and not wet. Decided it was time to replace the stock coils/wires so of course I reached out to Len and they are on the way here. Just for fun I ran the colortune and here’s what it had to say…

7E76E5DA-6276-48D4-90D1-6357AF2F54FF.jpeg B58167F2-DA53-4245-BAFB-6C84A9B0489B.jpeg C01B2BBE-125B-486A-86A0-59C3F9F86757.jpeg BBEE3BE1-E08B-4DE1-8E02-113A814D963B.jpeg

12. Huntchuks

Huntchuks Well-Known Member

#3, yikes! If I remember right, yellow = rich, white = lean, bunson blue = correct. Unfortunately the range of blue can be large and if your plugs are sooty you need to turn the screws in till the color is white and then back them out to the blue range. Then fine tune after running the bike on the road a bit.

k-moe and RJ C like this.
  13. Door dude

Door dude Active Member Premium Member

I'm interested in what people think about what's going on in #2 and 3. #2 has hardly any flame. #3 is orange. I'm stumped.

RJ C likes this.
  14. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

I wonder if the valve clearances are tight on 2 running rich on 3.

15. RJ C

RJ C Member

I ended up doing the valves about two years ago, and unfortunately wasn’t really able to ride more than 20 miles during that time. I just got done giving the carbs a good cleaning, I took them to church when the valves were done and they really were too bad. I did reset the mixture screws to 2.5 turns out from bottom but it seemed like it was running rich. I turned them all in .25 turn and that’s when I checked the colortune and got the above results.

Is it possible for stock ignition coils to get so bad that it could cause the issue with the #2 and not provide enough of a spark all of the time? #2 would show blue combustion erratically, maybe 20% of the time, I could see spark every time but not always combustion.

16. maxim400

maxim400 Member

cleaned the carbs on my 80 650 maxim, set the float levels etc and reinstalled the carbs on the bike, hopefully tomorrow I can fire it up and set up idle , and maybe sync the carbs .

17. Uxbridge Brule

Uxbridge Brule Active Member

The shop got the proper tire and they installed it on the rim . So long story short got a new tire put on the bike only had to take it on and off twice. I hate forgetting washers....

18. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

It is worth checking your coils with a multimeter as describing the Haynes manual. Check both coils for comparison. Check your mixture screws on 2 and 3 too to see what happens when you turn them, l am assuming you are using an auxiliary tank so you have access to the screws with the engine running. I think it's more likely to be the mixture than the ignition.

19. Jetfixer

The cylinder that is black unthread the plug cap cut off a 1/4inch of the plug wire thread cap back on and see if it makes any difference. I just had a cap crack on my Seca , so I would replace all the caps first they are not to expensive. I run Honda CB750 coils these have replaceable plug wires . These can still be bought new Cycle Recycle part 2 has them 44$ each and they are on eBay as well. I have ran these for four years now with no issues. These bolt right in the stock location .

RJ C and Franz like this.
  20. RJ C

RJ C Member

All 4 plugs are black, I did trim the wires back. One thing I noticed which made me think about the coils being the culprit was when running the engine and different times, it seemed like the header pipes would not all be super to the touch, 3 of them might be skin sticking hot and 1 warm but nothing like the other three. It's not always the same pipe with the lack of heat either. I just received the new coils this morning...ordered from Len two days ago! I will share my findings after I swap em out.