1. Some members were not receiving emails sent from XJbikes.com. For example: "Forgot your password?" function to reset your password would not send email to some members. I believe this has been resolved now. Please use "Contact Us" form (see page footer link) if you still have email issues. SnoSheriff

    Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

What engines can fit (easily) into an FJ600?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by RHKIII, Aug 2, 2026.

  1. RHKIII

    RHKIII New Member

    Messages:
    9
    Likes Received:
    1
    Trophy Points:
    3
    Location:
    Newark Valley
    I've had an FJ600 for many years. Last fall, after a few years in storage, I finally got it running good enough to ride it regularly. This summer I did some additional clean up and rode it a couple of hundred miles in a few rides. I decided to sell it (way too many bikes) and did so late last week. Two days later the guys who bought it said it wasn't running anymore and the starter engaged but didn't even turn it over. I told them to bring it back. They dropped it off and I looked at it the next day. Engine was seized. Under 13000 miles on the bike. It ran *great* for me so I wondered what happened. I got the engine unsseized and turning over on its own with the starter. I changed the oil and then noticed it.... #3 broke a rod and blew a 2" hole in the engine case.

    Time to scrap it or find an engine that can "easily" replace it. I've heard (from AI... ha!) that xj550, xj600, and fz600 engines will fit right in. Do any of them? or some other engine? Once in, how about the carbs, airbox, and electricals? I'd appreciate any insights otherwise this fun little bike that I was riding with no issues just earlier last week will be turning into parts on eBay.

    Sadly, but thanks in advance!
     
  2. Huntchuks

    Huntchuks Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    1,272
    Likes Received:
    585
    Trophy Points:
    113
    Location:
    East Rochester, NY
    I wouldn't have taken it back. What did they do, run it way above red line for miles on end?
     
  3. Fuller56

    Fuller56 Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    1,087
    Likes Received:
    535
    Trophy Points:
    113
    Location:
    Cary, NC (winter) Harpursville, NY (summer)
    My thoughts exactly. XJ/FJ engines are so tough that one has to be trying to hurt one like that.
    @RHKIII, there is a parts FJ on the local Marketplace for cheap....
     
  4. Simmy

    Simmy Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    2,672
    Likes Received:
    1,457
    Trophy Points:
    113
    Location:
    Waterloo Ontario Canada
    YX600 Radian is another potential donor
     
  5. RHKIII

    RHKIII New Member

    Messages:
    9
    Likes Received:
    1
    Trophy Points:
    3
    Location:
    Newark Valley
    I didn't see any parts FJ600 on marketplace. Do you have a link? (Marketplace is horrible for searching for anything.)

    I would have preferred not to return the money, but I didn't have a clear story from them that they did something wrong... and they came across as decent kids. I certainly suspect that they destroyed it, but didn't want them to be out money that they likely didn't have much of when I couldn't be absolutely sure. I would have wanted a seller to do the same if the situation was reversed.

    I want to get it going again if the price is resonable but I'm not going to make it a money pit that will never return it's value. I have many more bikes that I prefer to ride so this would be a "restore to sell" rather than a "restore to keep".

    So far I'm only hearing the Radian engine would fit. I suspect I need it complete? (carbs, airbox, electicals...). Is that right?

    Any other engine swaps that would work? The more possibilities the better chance I have of finding one that has something like front end damage and is being sold as parts. For example, there are some XJ550's near me and also a '92 Seca II (all damaged beyond repair so good to strip). There is also an XJ600 motor in Ontario.. but it's year isn't listed. I'm assuming that is also a Seca II (based on how it looks).

    I have found a number or Radian's that are "reachable" for me. I'd prefer not to get one that could be restored itself. At least one I found was wrecked and another is without a title, so they are candidates... although longer (but doable) drives.

    Until then I'm working on a couple of FZ600's (fighting NY for a title on one) and an FZ700 that I just picked up that I really like to look of!

    Thanks again for any information!
     
  6. Simmy

    Simmy Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    2,672
    Likes Received:
    1,457
    Trophy Points:
    113
    Location:
    Waterloo Ontario Canada
    As you've learned any XJ550 (seca or maxim) will fit or FZ600 or YX600 also.
    You will want to keep the FJ carbs as they are 32mm and the FZ/YX are 30mm
    The carbs are wider spaced on the FJ (same as XJ650) so you need to keep FJ air box and rubbers.
    Keep all the FJ pickup coils, rotor and TCI as you cannot mix and match these components.
    Seca 2 stuff will not fit.
     
  7. Simmy

    Simmy Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    2,672
    Likes Received:
    1,457
    Trophy Points:
    113
    Location:
    Waterloo Ontario Canada
    I was told once the Radian and FZ had the drive sprocket spaced further out to clear the wider rear wheel but never confirmed this. I put an FZ motor into a girlfriend's FJ many years ago but it was sold shortly afterwards, chain misalignment wasn't noticeable
     
  8. bensalf

    bensalf Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    1,393
    Likes Received:
    293
    Trophy Points:
    83
    Location:
    yorkshire ,england
    xj600, would fit right in, its the same engine, but it depends on year of your FJ.
    xj600s changed in about 1987, with the alternator being placed on the end of the L.H. crankshaft, instead of just beneath the carbs, if you dont get the similar year you may need to do some wiring alterations
    basically, if your FJ has the (end of crankshaft) alternator , then you will need a post 1987 xj600 with the same alternator position
     
  9. RHKIII

    RHKIII New Member

    Messages:
    9
    Likes Received:
    1
    Trophy Points:
    3
    Location:
    Newark Valley
    Thanks! I'll go on a more deliberate hunt for 550's and Radians near me. I'll try to keep folks posted for help and advice!
     
  10. Fuller56

    Fuller56 Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    1,087
    Likes Received:
    535
    Trophy Points:
    113
    Location:
    Cary, NC (winter) Harpursville, NY (summer)
    @RHKIII, Sorry I could not find the ad I referred to, there is an XJ550 in Middletown, NY listed 9 weeks ago if that helps.
     
  11. RHKIII

    RHKIII New Member

    Messages:
    9
    Likes Received:
    1
    Trophy Points:
    3
    Location:
    Newark Valley
    @Fuller56 do you have that link? As could be expected, marketplace didn't show me that listing. Thanks!
     
  12. RHKIII

    RHKIII New Member

    Messages:
    9
    Likes Received:
    1
    Trophy Points:
    3
    Location:
    Newark Valley
  13. Fastnfun1

    Fastnfun1 New Member

    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    1
    Location:
    Missouri usa
    Not sure if this would help or fit but just this weekend i picked up a barn find . I havent looked at it in detail yet but its a 1994 XJ600 . I guess its a Secca? Anyways when i got there to pick it up i was shocked the odometer reads 2049 miles . Looked at the tires and they are what came on it originally and tread looks new so im thinking it only has 2049 mikes. Its missing whatever plastics should be there worst of all is carbs are missing but i took the rags outta intake and clean as a whistle same as the mufflers no carbon build up or nothing. Not sure what im gonna do with it yet but sometime this weekend im gonna do a compression test see what that tells me .anyways i said this to let anybody know if they needing a motor i might have a good one. Will post pics and anything else i find out in a post soon.
     
  14. bensalf

    bensalf Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    1,393
    Likes Received:
    293
    Trophy Points:
    83
    Location:
    yorkshire ,england
    1994 is a completely different bike, yamaha changed the design in about 1991 , your model has the 'inclined forward' engine, op's is verticle
     
  15. Rayzerman

    Rayzerman Member

    Messages:
    66
    Likes Received:
    29
    Trophy Points:
    18
    Location:
    Ontario Canada
    I believe the change was in '92....... here's a pic of mine........ a couple of years later the fairings were revised a bit, discontinued here and the bike was sold in Europe as the Diversion up to roughly '98. There was another XJ6 revision after that for Europe also called the Diversion. Or something like that is how the story goes.

    [​IMG]
     
    Fuller56 likes this.
  16. RHKIII

    RHKIII New Member

    Messages:
    9
    Likes Received:
    1
    Trophy Points:
    3
    Location:
    Newark Valley
    Ok... I picked up a Seca 550 yesterday with under 7000 on the engine. The bike is pretty beat (lots of rust from sitting) but the engine is complete (carbs, air box, and all electronics). I haven't tried turning the engine yet but will pull the plugs and put marvel in the cylinders until I get the chance to try to turn it. I'm doing wood for winter right now so the engine swap from the Seca 550 to the FJ600 will be a few weeks away from even starting. In the meantime, I appreciate all the advice so far and welcome any more that can be provided. I'll also be finishing up an FZ700 this winter (to keep), doing an FZ600 (to keep) and doing a few Honda CB900's and CB1000's (to sell). My winter is booked... but the Seca500 to FJ600 engine swap is easily the most complex project of the lot! THANKS!!!
     
  17. RHKIII

    RHKIII New Member

    Messages:
    9
    Likes Received:
    1
    Trophy Points:
    3
    Location:
    Newark Valley
    Well, too much rain today to cut wood, so I took a closer look at the Seca 550. All the spark plugs are rusted into place. I've started applying Liquid Wrench Penetrating (it won a shoot-out over PB Blaster and ATF+Acetone... which were my previous two favorite penetrating oils). I'll keep applying that up for a week or so. Next, I drained the oil... oh my. The first 2 to 3 quarts were exceedingly clean water... followed by 2-3 quarts of very chunky oil. Trying to think positively about this.... the water was not rusty, and, since it was lowest in the engine maybe that means the oil was still up higher in the engine (in places). I flushed the oil system with some used engine oil to make sure all the water and more mushy chunky stuff was out. Next I took off the timing cover to see if I could turn the engine at all by hand..... but I can not. So I don't have the option of running the engine up to hot in order to try to help get the plugs out. Instead, I have to rely on the penetrating oil and time. My fear, of course, is breaking off a plug (or more than one) while trying to extract them.

    So not a great day. The engine is young (under 7000 miles) so if I can get the plugs out I'll let it soak for a week with Marvel Mystery Oil. However, getting the plugs out is going to be a challenge.

    As always, I welcome all suggestions.

    Thanks!
     
  18. chacal

    chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

    Messages:
    9,392
    Likes Received:
    2,092
    Trophy Points:
    113
    Location:
    The room where it happened
    Okay, for all the North American newbies here, some clarifications:

    An "XJ600" in Euro/UK-speak is what is called an FJ600 (1984-85) on this side of the pond. The across-the-pond folks got this "XJ600" from 1984-91 (I think)...and the 1984-86 versions are basically the same bike as the American FJ600 - FZ600 - YX600 models. Somewhere along the way the electrical system design changed (alternator placement, as well as going from variable-strength electromagnets in the charging system to permanent-strength magnets in the alternator/charging system (which also necessitated a change in the TCI design). The two designs of these systems are completely incompatible with each other......no parts of the charging system are interchangeable with each other, and there are also wiring harness changes between the two versions, as bensalf points out.

    Then in 1992, the XJ600 in Euro/UK land became what North America calls the XJ600 Seca II.......and it's (basically) a completely different bike that the earlier 1984-91 Euro/UK "XJ600" and the North American FJ600 and its close cousins (the FZ600 and YX600 models).
     

Share This Page