1. Some members were not receiving emails sent from XJbikes.com. For example: "Forgot your password?" function to reset your password would not send email to some members. I believe this has been resolved now. Please use "Contact Us" form (see page footer link) if you still have email issues. SnoSheriff

    Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Who knows what this is?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Palmer650, Mar 11, 2009.

  1. Palmer650

    Palmer650 Member

    Messages:
    111
    Likes Received:
    2
    Trophy Points:
    18
    Location:
    Middletown, MD
    Ok, someone please tell me what this is, it's function, and if it's ok that it has a hole eaten through it. If it's not ok that it has a hole eaten through it, how do I fix whatever it is?
     

    Attached Files:

  2. MiCarl

    MiCarl Active Member

    Messages:
    4,373
    Likes Received:
    25
    Trophy Points:
    38
    Location:
    Livonia, MI (Metro Detroit)
    Fuel rail. That is drilled open to pass fuel through a tube to the adjacent carburetor. From the butterfly shaft it appears that that is the left most carburetor, the fuel T should be directly opposite the location we're discussing.

    Was that carburetor formerly located elsewhere in a bank? Fuel should pour out that hole. Looks like a good spot for some gas tank epoxy.
     
  3. Palmer650

    Palmer650 Member

    Messages:
    111
    Likes Received:
    2
    Trophy Points:
    18
    Location:
    Middletown, MD
    Yes you are correct, it is the leftmost carb. The hole you see actually occurred after a session with the propane torch to free a stuck float drain screw. The sealant just sort of crumbled out. You mentioned to re-seal it with some epoxy. As far as I can tell the hole doesn't affect anything. No amount of gas came out of the hole once the carbs were hooked up to the tank. It still makes me nervous however so I'd like to seal it.
     
  4. bill

    bill Active Member

    Messages:
    2,813
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    36
    Location:
    Raleigh, NC
    Interesting looks like someone put a Carb 2 or 3 body in carb 1's spot. Normally #1 has a sealed left side and #4 a sealed right.

    Carl is right though Gas should pour out What is it we can see in the hole?
     
  5. TheHound

    TheHound Active Member

    Messages:
    1,156
    Likes Received:
    1
    Trophy Points:
    36
    Location:
    Scotia, NY
    This could be an issue with your not starting thread too.
    Are you sure fuel doesn't run out of there?
     
  6. Hvnbnd

    Hvnbnd Active Member

    Messages:
    1,277
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    36
    Location:
    St. Johns, Arizona
    Like was mentioned previously, it looks like someone substituted another carb in that position.
    I'd seal with epoxy or jb weld if for no other reason, peace of mind.


    Good luck
     
  7. Palmer650

    Palmer650 Member

    Messages:
    111
    Likes Received:
    2
    Trophy Points:
    18
    Location:
    Middletown, MD
    Hey Hound,

    No fuel is coming out of the hole. It looks like there is another seal inside the one that fell out.

    Could someone post a pic of their #1 carb's left side so I can see what a factory sealed fuel rail looks like? Maybe if my carbs are switched I can figure out which one is really #1 and #4.
     
  8. JoeFriday77

    JoeFriday77 Member

    Messages:
    604
    Likes Received:
    1
    Trophy Points:
    18
    Location:
    North Texas
    It's a Mikuni, but I don't have anything covering that hole.
     

    Attached Files:

  9. bill

    bill Active Member

    Messages:
    2,813
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    36
    Location:
    Raleigh, NC
    Chris I went and looked at mine - can't get a good pic with my phone but they are sealed a the bottom of the concave part - Looks like metal on mine.
     
  10. greggvickrey

    greggvickrey Member

    Messages:
    324
    Likes Received:
    3
    Trophy Points:
    18
    Location:
    Smyrna, Tn
    Palmer, tried to get a decent pic of my #1 Hitot on my 650 but didn't turn out worth squat. But, I do not have a seal in mine, its is a blank hole similar to the Mikuni.
    Gregg
     
  11. bill

    bill Active Member

    Messages:
    2,813
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    36
    Location:
    Raleigh, NC
    Yup looks like Joe's on mine too
     
  12. MiCarl

    MiCarl Active Member

    Messages:
    4,373
    Likes Received:
    25
    Trophy Points:
    38
    Location:
    Livonia, MI (Metro Detroit)
    The left one can't be switched to any other position in the bank without drilling that out. Don't bother checking. That carburetor either came off another set or someone drilled it.

    There isn't a plug in them. They are cast closed then machined open depending on the position in the rack the carburetor is destined for.

    Just plug it and get on with life.
     
  13. Palmer650

    Palmer650 Member

    Messages:
    111
    Likes Received:
    2
    Trophy Points:
    18
    Location:
    Middletown, MD
    Thanks guys! I appreciate the feedback. I'm going to give the carbs a dip and we'll see if the rest of that sealant falls out of the well. I'll post new pics of the freshly bathed carbs soon... Wow, that sounded obscene! Hopefully they'll look more shiny like Joe's Mikunis and less like the original pic I posted above!
     

Share This Page