1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

How do I get this rear wheel off? 1982 XJ650 SECA

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by CJ06XLT, Jun 15, 2009.

1. CJ06XLT

CJ06XLT Member

I am not having any luck with getting my rear wheel off. I followed my Haynes book, pulled the axle, yanked the brake cover, and got the wheel off of the splines. I still can't get the darned thing off. No matter which way I turn (Maneuver, if you read the Haynes) the wheel, it's always stuck. I don't want to push/pull/pry too hard, because it's hanging on either the aluminum of the brake drum, or the spline area.

Do I need to remove the fender or something? AHHHRGH!! This will make night 3 of trying to get the thing off the bike.

Any ideas? Sledgehammer? Grease?

Thanks, I'm getting a bit frustrated with this thing, if you couldn't tell.

2. paulg

paulg New Member

I had a jack under the engine, lifted the bike enough that the wheel cleared
    the frame and it came out easily. Mine is a SECA model,

---:p

3. CJ06XLT

CJ06XLT Member

Hmm, maybe I can rig up something with my scissor jack. I don't yet have a nice floor jack.

Isn't that cheating though? :)

Thanks!

4. Chorca

Chorca Member

Yeah. It was a problem with me to get the original tire out, mainly cause it was a 140! Waaaay too big. It'll come out, you just need to finagle it the right way and jiggle the handle and such.
    It took me about 5 minutes of wiggling it different directions and such to get it to slip out, I think I tilted it at some sort of angle while i was sliding it away to keep it under the fender. If the brake plate is still there, keep it held against the wheel or it'll just cause more problems cause it makes the wheel wider if it starts falling out.

5. ktcubed

ktcubed Member

Four bolts remove the fender which can then be flipped upside down on the space below the seat (which you raised to get to the bolts). Slides right out. Well worth the effort.