1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Oh no! Possibly ordered wrong exhaust part?!

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by kevinck, Jun 15, 2009.

1. kevinck

kevinck New Member

So I've been attemping to get the parts to fix up a 1983 XJ750 Maxim. The mufflers and collector for the 4-2 Exhaust were completely rusted out so I went about finding a full exhaust system replacement online.

After some research and advice from knowledgeable friends I ended up ordering what I believed was a compatable system.

Bike Bandit 4-2 exhaust

I believed the exhaust for all XJ750 (maxim or seca) would be a compatable fit.

Now as we try to put this together we find that the mounting bracket on the new mufflers does not match up with the bolt point on the passenger footpeg where the old mufflers bolted on. No orientation seems to work.

Now that i look at the website i notice it lists" 1983 Yamaha XJ750RK SECA" as the compatable machine but i was told that any XJ750 system should fit my maxim.

Where did i go wrong?

2. bluepotpie

bluepotpie Member

I could be wrong here, but i think the seca and maxim exhausts ARE, in face, different. you could probably fab up a mount and make that one work though.

3. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

According to the fiche, the exhaust systems are the same (Seca-Max) as far as the collector box and head pipes. The only thing different is the mufflers. It's also not unusual to have to fabricate or "adapt" aftermarket muffler hangers and brackets, they rarely just bolt up.

I would say if you're happy with the style of the mufflers, then fab up a couple of mounts.

4. Chorca

Chorca Member

With the Mac exhausts, they're the same pipes for the Seca and Maxim, but they provide you with two different mounting brackets (of different length) for the two different bike styles. The Maxim uses a longer bracket and the Seca a shorter one. Probably can just find some sort of flat iron and put some holes where you need them.