1. Some members were not receiving emails sent from XJbikes.com. For example: "Forgot your password?" function to reset your password would not send email to some members. I believe this has been resolved now. Please use "Contact Us" form (see page footer link) if you still have email issues. SnoSheriff

    Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Where theres smoke theres........

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by 85MaximXX, Jul 5, 2009.

  1. 85MaximXX

    85MaximXX Member

    Messages:
    780
    Likes Received:
    4
    Trophy Points:
    18
    Location:
    S.W. michigan
    Damage.. not fire I hope.

    Ok so today I start up the bike and let her warm up a bit. Checking the lights,tires normal stuff. then I catch a whisp of smoke come out from under the tach. Hmm so I watch intently to see if more will come out yup... Great.. Took off the fuse panel cover(which on the 85' 700's is the nuetral and indicator lights. I found the headlight fuse half melted as well as the socket starting to melt. So I did swap out the old headlight for a silver star gold or ewhatever they call the most expensive one. I rode took out the melted fuse cleaned the conact with what I had here and rode 1 mile to a friends house for further cleaning. Removed the headlight thinking maybe the bulb was rated a higher wattage and drawing too much Nope same ratings as stamped on the housing. It looks like some moisture got into the fuse panel. But one of the female parts of the headlight plug is partialy melted to. I cleaned all the contact for both ends with 2000 grit(its what we had). Then squeezed the contacts tighter for the fuse and the headlight. Anything else I should do guys/gals?? any suggestions? I can't melt down the bike it's all I got to drive.
     
  2. RickCoMatic

    RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    13,842
    Likes Received:
    68
    Trophy Points:
    48
    Location:
    Massachusetts, Billerica
    Make sure that the PO didn't use an OVER-RATED Fuse in the Circuits.
     
  3. 85MaximXX

    85MaximXX Member

    Messages:
    780
    Likes Received:
    4
    Trophy Points:
    18
    Location:
    S.W. michigan
    nope same 15 amp as the panel cover says. THe only strange thing I have yet to figure out is when I bought the bike(thier still there). There were/are two boxes of glass 10Amp fuses under the seat and no glass fuses on the bike other than the 30amp main. That baffles me.
     

Share This Page