1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Quick Introduction

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by treefort, Jan 24, 2010.

1. treefort

treefort New Member

Hello to all,

As I just signed up today, I thought I'd introduce myself. I'm a 27 year old guy from NE and currently own two Yamaha motorcycles; a 1983 Maxim 750 and a 1982 Seca 400; both of which are currently in various stages of disrepair / disassembly.

As luck would have it, I was winterizing the Maxim last night and, in a failed attempt to air up the rear tire, (who fails at that) :lol: managed to snap off half of the valve stem and pull out the innards of the valve. (Serves me right for using the wrong tool for the job.) As a result of this mishap, combined with the fact that I have yet to buy a repair manual for the bike, I found myself surfing the internet this morning in hopes of finding some sort of instructions or tutorial on the removal.

Enter...this forum! I found what I was looking for and more!!

A bit more, I've been riding regularly for about four years, but learned about 13 years ago. While I certainly love street riding, my next foray (as soon as I can afford it) is going to be a dual sport of sorts. I'm seriously considering a 2008 KLR, but have yet to do sufficient research to consider that an informed choice; right now, I like the price. :D So, if anyone has any thoughts, one way or the other, let me know.

Looking forward to spending time on another MC forum... gotta do something when it's too icy to ride. :eek:

2. TIMEtoRIDE

TIMEtoRIDE Active Member

Welcome Treefort !!
    Better get the valve stem fixed right ! Sudden deflation at hiway speeds is no fun.
    Get a service manual, but for now, the tricky part is you slide the axle out, remove the spacer, then pull the rim off the splines. Get 2 friends to lift the bike if the fender is in the way (assuming you don't have a lift)
    Or work in sand and dig a hole- - works for me.
    read the rear brake shoe delamination thread !!

3. treefort

treefort New Member

Got her taken care of already, thanks! I put her on the center-stand (which elevated the rear wheel enough to pull it) and have a hydraulic jack under it in the event that someone accidentally puts weight on the rear end. I'm planning on getting a service manual for it in the next few weeks, a definite must-have for any serious DIY'er.

Also, I saw the thread about bad brake shoes, luckily, upon inspection, mine are good to go!

4. skillet

skillet Active Member

Wanted to say WELCOME...

skillet

5. FABFABINC

FABFABINC Member

Welcome!!!!!!!!!

6. chuckles_no

chuckles_no Member

Well you have certainly found a good site for sharpening up your ninja jedi assassin skills.
    Hey... wait just one damn minute! This isn't the ninja, kung fu site. Hmmm.... welll welcom anyway and you found a good place for all of your valve stem mishaps, wiring boo boos, stripped nut uh ohs, and any other oops that might happen in the duration of you xj motorcycle ownership. Also... in case yer feelin generous... we like donuts and an occational case of beer.
    haha... You tried squeezing the nozzle of you air hose in there to some how get it over the valve stem just enough to seal it for the airing up, huh? I did that just recently at a damn quarter machine air pump at a gas station. Didn't rip it to shreds but ripped all of the threads off of the stem.

7. a340driver

a340driver Member

Ya whats with those quarter air pumps anyway. Whose stupid idea was that? . As if we're not already paying enough for gas, with no service, no we have to pay for air? And of course I never have a quarter handy when I need it ..Ahhhh $@*** fume fume ... ohhh ya welcome to the site!

8. treefort

treefort New Member

I wish it would've been a quarter pump, it was one of those air hose attachments that have about a 4"-6" body and two nozzles on the end set at about a 45 degree angle.. the ones that are perfect for car tires but have dimensions such that no matter how you angle them, you can't get a good seal on a motorcycle tire valve... Heck, I wish quarter pumps still cost a quarter; now they generally run $0.75-$1.00. I'd just assume fill up at home ....... wait a minute..... :lol:

9. xj650ss

xj650ss Member

Welcome Treefort, sorry about your luck with the valve stem!!
    Shaun

10. PainterD

PainterD Active Member

Welcome aboard!

11. gunnabuild1

gunnabuild1 Member

You guys seriously have to pay for air at a servo?
    That idea will cross the ocean fast.

12. jonrms

jonrms Member

gunnabuild1 .... sadly one or two garages around here make you pay... hardly anyone uses them unless desperate!!! its stupid and that made its way to the UK eeek

13. treefort

treefort New Member

It's not so much the garages- I've gotten free air from them every time I've needed it- but the gas stations. It's annoying, to be sure, but if, for some reason, I'm that low on air, I'd rather spend the dollar than ruin a tire.

That being said, paying air is up there in my book with paying for water. The two most abundant resources on the planet, and we're buying them. :lol:

(In all seriousness, the point could be argued that one is not paying for air, but making a 'compulsory donation' (I've always loved that phrase) towards air compressor maintenance.

14. the_namdeeW

the_namdeeW New Member

Welcome man! I just joined today. Good luck with your projects, I too hope to learn some stuff from this Forum. Cheers!

15. TIMEtoRIDE

TIMEtoRIDE Active Member

Welcome Weedman ! 8O :lol:

16. AutumnRider

AutumnRider Member

+1 on a great forum, welcome, the lively knowledgeable debates are fun too :)

17. jonrms

jonrms Member

treefort.. we are talking in cross purposes.. with a language barrier... a garage over here is a gas station or otherwise known as a petrol station.. I forgot my american lingo... cant wait till april when I can come back home for a holiday (vacation) which will be 2 weeks long (a fortnight)
    lol

18. treefort

treefort New Member

I've always wondered how long a fortnight was. :lol: