1. Some members were not receiving emails sent from XJbikes.com. For example: "Forgot your password?" function to reset your password would not send email to some members. I believe this has been resolved now. Please use "Contact Us" form (see page footer link) if you still have email issues. SnoSheriff

    Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Tire change question

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by xjasfirst, Mar 15, 2010.

  1. xjasfirst

    xjasfirst Member

    Messages:
    107
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    16
    I am going to be having the local bike shop put new tires on for me later this week. I pulled the wheels off of the bike on Saturday. Do I need to pull the front disk and/or the rear drum off before I take it into the shop? What about the splines that link into the shaft drive? I don't want things to get damaged and this is my first time getting new tires so I am not sure what is safe and what is not.
     
  2. Bushy

    Bushy Active Member

    Messages:
    897
    Likes Received:
    51
    Trophy Points:
    28
    Location:
    Australia
    If they are any good at what they do...th disks stay on.. and th drum stays with th bike, it would just get in th way.
     
  3. TIMEtoRIDE

    TIMEtoRIDE Active Member

    Messages:
    4,686
    Likes Received:
    11
    Trophy Points:
    38
    Location:
    Clermont FL near Orlando
    You leave the drum backing plate and shoes at home (delamination check!!)
    Your big responsibility is to keep dirt and sand out of the bearings while they are off.
     
  4. xjasfirst

    xjasfirst Member

    Messages:
    107
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    16
    What is the best way to do that?
     
  5. MiCarl

    MiCarl Active Member

    Messages:
    4,373
    Likes Received:
    25
    Trophy Points:
    38
    Location:
    Livonia, MI (Metro Detroit)
    Don't lay them in the dirt. Keep them sheltered so debris doesn't blow into them.

    If you're going to transport them in an open truck or trailer secure rags around the hubs so road debris doesn't blow in.
     
  6. bigfitz52

    bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

    Messages:
    21,283
    Likes Received:
    420
    Trophy Points:
    83
    Location:
    Rural SE Michigan 60 miles N of Motown
    True, but unless you're 100% confident in their abilities, I would go ahead and pull the rotor, take them just the wheels.
     
  7. xjasfirst

    xjasfirst Member

    Messages:
    107
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    16
    I just spoke with the shop and they said the disk needs to stay on so they can balance the wheel properly. He said anything that rotates with the wheel stays on the wheel. That makes sense to me. Does it make sense to the gurus?
     
  8. Bushy

    Bushy Active Member

    Messages:
    897
    Likes Received:
    51
    Trophy Points:
    28
    Location:
    Australia
    Makes sense to me ...but I aint no guru.
     
  9. wizard

    wizard Active Member

    Messages:
    5,282
    Likes Received:
    26
    Trophy Points:
    38
    Location:
    DEVON ENGLAND
    All as Bushy says in his first post.
     
  10. MiCarl

    MiCarl Active Member

    Messages:
    4,373
    Likes Received:
    25
    Trophy Points:
    38
    Location:
    Livonia, MI (Metro Detroit)
    They stay on.

    If the shop is incompetent enough to damage the disc why would you let them do the tire?
     

Share This Page