1. Some members were not receiving emails sent from XJbikes.com. For example: "Forgot your password?" function to reset your password would not send email to some members. I believe this has been resolved now. Please use "Contact Us" form (see page footer link) if you still have email issues. SnoSheriff

    Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Changing the braking on my xj1100 to a more standard system

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by hordave, Apr 24, 2010.

  1. hordave

    hordave Member

    Messages:
    99
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    6
    Location:
    Kitchener, Ontario, N2B 1V1, Canada
    Hey everyone,

    I have an xj1100 which has the left front brake caliper tied to the back disk brake master cylinder. So when you press on the rear brake foot lever it not only applies the rear disk brake but it also applies the front left disk brake. When you pull on the front brake lever on the right handle bar it only applies the right front disk brake.

    Okay what I want if for my bike to work like all other bikes so I want the front brake lever to operate both front disk brakes and I want the rear brake foot lever to operate only the rear disk brake.

    So I am unfamilar with the xs1100 but if it has a rear disk brake and front disk brakes then I am hoping if I replace my front master cylinder and rear master cylinder with those of an xs1100 then I will be in business.

    Am I correct? If I am correct does anyone have the front and rear master cylinder to sell me. If this doesn't work does anyone know what I need to make this work?

    Let me know how my plan would work and if you may have the parts I need.

    Thanks.

    Dave...
     
  2. mlew

    mlew Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    3,090
    Likes Received:
    242
    Trophy Points:
    63
    Location:
    Apex, NC
    Look on XS11.com and search the forums. That same modification is discused many times.I think you can reuse your master cylinders and just replace your brake lines. I left my XJ11's brakes just like they are and replaced the lines with new stainless ones, it made a big improvement.
     
  3. theadbrewer

    theadbrewer Member

    Messages:
    224
    Likes Received:
    4
    Trophy Points:
    18
    Location:
    Roseville MN
    I would think you would need to replace both MC's and the lines. The front bore might be to small and the rear too big. The advantage given by hydraulic systems is from a small piston with a long stroke pushing a larger piston with a shorter stroke. So it is volume basically, the front MC will have high advantage but my not move enough fluid to close the calipers effectively, the rear will move enough fluid but will have lower advantage. Or it will work fine but I would look into it further. Stopping is good.
     
  4. hordave

    hordave Member

    Messages:
    99
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    6
    Location:
    Kitchener, Ontario, N2B 1V1, Canada
    Re: Changing the braking on my xj1100 to a more standard sys

    Okay turns out I need at the minimum a 700/750 front master cylinder. Does anyone out there have one that they are willing to sell and if so for how much?

    Dave...
     
  5. mlew

    mlew Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    3,090
    Likes Received:
    242
    Trophy Points:
    63
    Location:
    Apex, NC
    I was doing some checking on the master cylinder sizes and I see your concerns. I'll look through my pars boxes and see if I have any spare XS master cylinders, I do have a set of XS1100 brake lines. They are original and came off my XS1100. I would buy a new set of stainless lines if you are going to do this conversion. It will set you back around 200$.
    Look on EBAY, I saw some xs masters with lines cheap.
     

Share This Page