1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Raven's XJ750 Seca - a resurrection story

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by Raven, May 11, 2010.

1. midknightrider83

midknightrider83 Member

looks like it's comeing togeather nicely. def. gonna keep an eye on your progress.

2. wamaxim

wamaxim Active Member

3. Raven

Raven Member

OK gurus, here's where I need your help :)

To make the brakes work, I intend on getting 3 stainless lines from Len (chacal), one from the MC to the splitter, then from the splitter to the calipers. I've weighed the pros and cons of using the splitter versus two long lines right from the MC, I would much prefer to clean the bars up more and go the splitter route.

That being said, I discovered a few things on this Seca splitter:
    [​IMG]

The port that would attach to the MC to the splitter is threaded differently. The ends are the typical M10x1.25. The third port is finer, is it M10x1.0?

Also, there was a hard brake line from the remote MC to this splitter, and a brass fitting is inside this third port. Even if I get an appropriately threaded banjo bolt, I fear I won't be able to screw it in far enough. How do I get this brass piece out? Can I just drill it?
    [​IMG]

4. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

Raven.....we have a correctly sized banjo bolt to fit that m/c port on the distribution log..........so you can install a standard rubber or s/s brake line to it...........send me a note and we'll get you set up!

5. Raven

Raven Member

Len, you are out of control! ;) Like I mentioned above, I'll be ordering 3 more stainless lines from you; will the brass bit that's inside the splitter, as shown in the above pic, need to be removed, or is the banjo bolt you have short enough to fit?

6. Raven

Raven Member

^wamaxim, thanks for the link. I actually looked at that site, at this bulb specifically: 74-xHP3

This one's just over 17mm long, I'll have to measure to see if that'll fit, or if it's too long.

7. chacal

Banjo bolt is short enough to fit.....!

Although you could drill out the brass compression fitting, I don't think it's necessary to do so.

Or, if you wanted to be super-sleuthlike-and-slick, you could use the log from a 1982 (only) XJ750 Maxim....same size, shape, mounting config, etc. as the 750 Seca, but with standard banjo bolt threads and no brass plug in the m/c hose port..........but, that might be considered cheating. :D

8. Raven

Raven Member

Len...
    I took some measurements for the brake line needed to go from the MC to the splitter log.

Here's my paint skills:
    [​IMG]

Length:
    From end of fitting to end of fitting, just shy of 14"

Fitting orientation:
    The two lines to the left represent a top view of the fittings, showing the orientation of the flat surface of the fitting; in other words, the brake line fittings would ideally be oriented (twisted) about 15 degrees apart. If they're both oriented the same, it would still work.

Fitting angle:
    For clearance in both cases, I'd need the upper mount to have a 30 to 35 degree bend from the MC, and the lower to have a 35 to 45 degree bend from the log. In both pictures, the brake line is toward the front of the bike. If both are right around 35 degrees, that would still work too.

I'll PM you with this info too, see what might work for this... :)

9. Raven

Raven Member

Bracket

Wanting to use the stock brake splitter log, so time to cut the mounting bracket...
    [​IMG]
    Before using the dremel:
    [​IMG]
    Further shaping (gratuitous "sparks flying shot")...
    [​IMG]
    Painted and mocked up (not bolted in yet)
    [​IMG]

10. Raven

Raven Member

Gauge update and parts arrival

I found a 3 SMD size #74 white bulb on eBay for the tach, looks way better...not identical, but this'll work great:
    [​IMG]

Stock-wise, the horns are mounted in side the headlight. Here's where I ended up mounting them. It's not pretty, but it's one step closer to being legal.
    [​IMG]

Loosely installed stainless brake lines...never bled brakes before, so that'll be a fun day
    [​IMG]

11. schooter

schooter Active Member

bleeding brakes is as easy as a desert with a fruity filling and a crust that fits in a circular dish... just grab two people.

12. Raven

Raven Member

Brakes

I opted to work with Len (chacal) to have a custom line made from the MC to the splitter log.

Here it is mocked up:
    [​IMG]

Bit too long, but by how much...
    [​IMG]

After exchanging the line with Len twice, I was super pumped when I got the final assembled line. Here it is installed:
    [​IMG]

13. Raven

Raven Member

As you saw in the last pic in my previous post, the color changed. I took the fenders, tank, and plastics in to get painted. I got it done relatively cheap: The guy who I had paint my parts, one week prior, had nailed a turkey at 55 with his car. Needing to repaint his own bumper, he said there'd be enough paint left over to spray my stuff. His car: an Audi S4.

I installed and bled the brake system (Schooter's right, easy...definitely get a friend to help. My lines were bone dry and it only took maybe 35 minutes, and I took my sweet time), installed the petcock back on the tank and put 'er all back together.

Now, 2 months later, the bike is done...for now... :)
    Possible future plans:
    -New rear shocks
    -New springs/heavier fork oil (a lot more bite with stainless lines!)
    -Black out wheels...?
    -Vinyl covering on the tail cowl and side plastics where it used to be two-tone

Here she is:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Big thanks to everyone on the boards, notably Len (chacal), with whose parts and help made this bike come back together, and xulf: your cafe progress thread was both a big inspiration and a big help. :D

14. Metal_Bob

Metal_Bob Active Member

DROOL - Great Job

Me personally - I would have gotten the "aluminum" on the wheels painted the same as the tank and just re-blacked the black part - But that's just me :)

If my 82 Maxim had more body panel surface I might consider a similar silver. But with the minimal surface area my black tank/frame will probably remain unchanged unless I get inspired at some point.

Also if I ever get tired of my Atari - I'll use your post for inspiration :)

15. chacal

Nice job Raven!

But, in the close-up picture of the master cylinder line attached to the m/c, it appears that you have both copper crush washers on the same side of the hose fitting? That's not a good idea.....one crush washer goes on each side of the hose fitting!

M/C --- crush washer --- hose fitting --- crush washer ---- union bolt.

16. Raven

Raven Member

Trust me, this is how it's setup :)

The crush washers that came with the master cylinder are rather thick, and looking at the picture, I can see how it may look like they're doubled up.

17. chacal

Okay, just wanted to make sure!

18. Raven

Raven Member

Controls/MC Clearance

Pics per a request, clearance on the bars of the XS controls and MC:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. zap2504

zap2504 Member

Very nice build! :!: The silver looks very sharp but understated too (I noticed the black tank seam welting). I may do a copy of your bike with my "spare" 750 Seca.

I don't think I would bother with "re-blacking" the side/tail panels at all, nor going with any replacement tank graphics. You might improve the wheels slightly by stripping off the black and just shining the alloy but I wouldn't bother until the next tire change.

20. wamaxim

wamaxim Active Member

Very nice looking rebuild. Maybe the a$$hat who did the hit and run maybe did you a favor in the long run. Sure is pretty.

Is your buddy at 100%

Did the ever catch the guy who caused the wreck?

Loren