1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

packing a straight pipe

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by lopezfr2, Jun 6, 2010.

1. lopezfr2

lopezfr2 Member

i got some new mufflers from jc whitney, they're basically a straight pipe with something that looks like a lollipop baffle about midway through. the noise is just too much. what can i do to quiet them down?

is there a way i can make a wrappable core that i can just kind of stick inside it or can i possibly do something else?

2. jeffdodge

jeffdodge Member

Weld a washer to a bolt and bolt it into the end of the pipe like in the drawing...

Attached Files:

• baf.jpg
      baf.jpg
      File size:
      48.5 KB
      Views:
  3. lopezfr2

lopezfr2 Member

ive heard those lollipop baffles dont change volume much

4. TIMEtoRIDE

TIMEtoRIDE Active Member

I packed my Mac on my 750 to make it quiet.
    Get the expanded metal screen used in Stucco work.
    I used fiberglass mat, but I've read that cloth work better.
    Roll both together around a broom handle. This leaves about an inch diameter hollow core. Plan your work out so it fits tightly in the pipe.

If it's too quiet you can always re-pack it with a shorter core.

5. rpgoerlich

rpgoerlich Member

Not sure what diameter pipes you have. A few years ago I had a virago someone stripped the baffles out of and it was Loud. Found some baffles on Ebay for $4-6ea and installed them which quieted it down alot.

6. seaguy

seaguy Member

Get some old type briggs and stratton round mufflers and stick em up in there.

7. Raven

Raven Member

I saw those at my local AutoZone; I just got a xs1100 I'm trying to "shut up"...just cramming one of those in the end of the exhaust would look hilarious!
    [​IMG]

8. cutlass79500

cutlass79500 Well-Known Member

dont laugh i used a pair of them in an rd 400 set of chambers they worked great

9. lopezfr2

lopezfr2 Member

got some baffles from jc whitney, took over a week to get here even though the mufflers i ordered from them took only 3 days, and they are the wrong size.

ordered a different set from somebody on ebay, i plan to wrap the baffles in fiberglass when i put them in, ill post the results.

10. PainterD

PainterD Active Member

The washer mod works better if you get ones that are a tighter fit (same diameter as the inside of the pipes) You can experiment with hole sizes also to get the sound just right.
    The small engine mufflers work good for baffles if you find the size that will slip inside the exhaust pipe, so you can't see them sticking out. Use a small self tapping screw to hold them in place.

11. Zookie400

Zookie400 Active Member

go to summit or jegs and look at header collector mufflers, they are designed for guys who want to "quiet" their open headers. http://www.jegs.com/p/Car-Chemistry/Car ... 8/10002/-1

i recently made my own glasspack by fabbing 2 "washers" and welding them to a section of 1 1/2" pipe that i drilled 1/4" holes through, and wrapped in stainless screen then wrapped in muffler packing. i slid that into a 2 1/2" straight pipe.

it sounds great, and is quiet. it actually sounds just like my friends 2007 r1 with yoshi pipes on it at idle.