1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

XJ750

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by cpayne74, Jun 23, 2010.

1. cpayne74

cpayne74 New Member

Okay where to start? I got my bike back from the Yamaha dealer the other day. It was in the shop for a general tune up (which took them 3 years to do!!! So don't go to the Yamaha Dealer in Burlington Iowa!!!) Sorry, still a little bitter about it. :evil:

I was driving my bike home and about 2 miles from my home it didn't want to pull itself over 35 mph. Got my bike back to my garage. When my bike was at an idle, it was over 6000 rpm. I let it cool down for about an hour or so and it still idled over 6000 rpm.

Took the carburetor apart and cleaned out. One of the pilot screws are unable to turn, so I am going to have to drill it out. When I pulled the carburetor off there where no gaskets on them. There was a screw missing on the top cover plate, which covers the diagram assembly. And to top it off, one of the carburetor joints had a pin size hole.

I have a new pilot jet and a carburetor joint ordered. But basically I am lost at this point. This is my first bike and I have only got to drive it to and back from the shop.

Also, I seen this post today about bench sync http://xjbikes.com/Forums/viewtopic/t=6366.html It was for a XJ650, but would it work for a XJ750?

I just wanted to say thanks for any help.

2. Bushy

Bushy Active Member

It's just th same for a 750......3 years at th shop and it's not right, thats a helluva short story that took 3 years to write.
    Good luck with it, tons of info on here about getting th carbs right, probably one of th most talked topics, search thru th posts and you'll be reading for days. AND apart from getting it running don't forget things that can effect your own personal safety, brakes,tyres,lights.

ps heres a few for starters

General stuff by Gamuru
    http://xjbikes.com/Forums/viewtopic/t=8 ... art=0.html

Carb cleaning by Chacal
    http://www.xjbikes.com/Forums/viewtopic/t=14692.html

Carb cleaning by Rickomatic
    http://xjbikes.com/Forums/viewtopic/t=2 ... n+own.html

Check rear brakes by Bigfitz
    http://xjbikes.com/Forums/viewtopic/t=1 ... ation.html

Happy reading, Bushy

3. Swissjon

Swissjon Member

Sounds like they've really fked around with your bike..

When I was balancing my carbs the other day, I noticed that if I screwwed up the balance screw too much, so that the vacuum in one cylinder was a lot higher than the others, then the idle speed went off the scale. This had nothing to do with the mixture (which caused misfires and backfires when I screwed that up, but the idle speed stayed pretty much the same)

I don't have a YICS tool, so I ripped about 2 inches off the bottom of an old teeshirt and pulled it through (tight fit) using a straightened wire coat hanger. Worked an absolute treat, the carbs were simple to balance.. I've still got a richness issue and need to sort that out (some of the cylinders are running super lean) but in the end, I think your high idle is either due to some clot messing with the idle screw, or your balancing is screwed up. Both easy to fix with the carbs still on the bike.

4. Robert

Robert Active Member

I'm amazed at your story Cpayne! If you allowed the shop to take 3 years to tune up your bike then you have no room to complain. A 6000 rpm idle??? My bike red lines at 6500, how did you ride this thing off the lot and not notice this issue? Something ain't right in Kansas Toto.
    Concerning your carbs, the pin-hole leak can be patched with liquid electrical tape, good luck with the pilot jet. Bushy gave you some great links to read over. Best of luck to you.

5. cpayne74

cpayne74 New Member

Here is the story behind my bike. In July/August I took my bike to get a tune up. Paid them in advance for the work. I would call/drive and check up on my bike and they said they haven't had to chance to work on it. Plus they were having issues with one of there mechanics, being very ill. So I was patient. I understand that drama happens(which is an understatement).

So November I got a call saying my bike was done. So I go and pick up my bike and when I get there they tell me that now my bike is having electrical issues. With no riding time left in the year, I told them to hold on to it and work on it. They had no problems with it.

May rolls around and I give them a call. They said there wasn't an electrical problem but still a fuel problem. I had only talked to one person about my bike. I was conflicted, but chalked it up to miss information. Parts were on back order.

Again November comes around and I stop in. Basically get told that parts were still on back order. But they found a web site were they can order parts from.

Another May arrives and still no bike. This time the reason no work was done to it, was because they thought I was in jail. However they never called to verify. FYI, I was never in jail. At this point, I made sure they had my girlfriends number and mine was correct.

In that September my mother past away so I didn't think about my bike, so at this point, I can understand.

In February, I checked on my bike and they said it was working but they had to put on a charger and test it. They said it would take a while to get to it but it would be done. From that point till June, I have a stroke, which turned out to be bells-palsy and other drama, I still had no word from them. I was at my breaking point.

I finally walked in and explain everything thing from above and how I had been overly patient. Which he agreed and said that he had dropped the ball. Two days later I got my bike back and now this is what my bike is doing.

6. yamaman

yamaman Member

Jesus

7. Raven

Raven Member

WTF!? LOL!

8. lopezfr2

lopezfr2 Member

first off, never ever fully pay someone in advance for anything. ever. even if its 5 bucks, just don't do it. dropped the ball? if i took my bike to a shop for a "tune up" and they took more than a week i would have gone in there and flipped like a quarter.

9. zap2504

zap2504 Member

What a sad story! Sorry for all your troubles. As others have said, plenty of carb-related info in the forums and it sounds like you have enough mechanical skills you should never need to go to the dealer again :lol:

Just understand that there are pilot jets for fuel metering AND an idle mixture adjustment needle/screw valve (typically under a removable aluminum plug) in each carb - you need to remove the idle mix screw too for cleaning. Also - when the carbs are off the engine do a "bench sync" (described in forums) and check the fuel height in the bowls (also described) as it is easier to do both with the carbs off the engine and make the on-engine sync easier.

10. shnuffy

shnuffy Member

How do places like this stay in business? That's ridiculous. I'm sorry to hear about all this drama...

However, there is light. You've learned a lesson about that dealer. You can fix your bike your self with a service manual, some basic tools, this site and chacal!

I've heard it over and over here: Nobody will fix your bike as well as you will.

Good luck man, you're in the right place!

11. cutlass79500

cutlass79500 Well-Known Member

yea invest in some carb kits and do it yourself. for what you paid them you could buy a set of carb styx and you will allways have them . do it yourself you know its right if it doesnt work you knoe who to blame

12. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

This story has another side to it.
    With details that indicate it's not totally the Dealer's actions that caused this most unfortunate incident to have unfolded in this way.

After a discussion with the Dealer in question; I understand why this Members Bike stayed at the Dealer and didn't get Tuned-up and shoved out-the-door to a happy customer.

Contributing factors at both the Customer and the Dealer level put the servicing of this Members Bike:
    On hold.
    Back burner'd.
    Back roomed.
    Stored.
    Ignored.

As sad as this story is, after learning some of the back-story and understanding why the Dealership only did what they could do within the limit of the prepayment, and then becoming unable to find the Customer to advise him his limit was reached; the Bike got placed in storage until the Customer surfaced.

The Tech who first attempted working on this Bike had Terminal Cancer and died.
    Attempting to find another Tech willing to continue the unenviable task in the face of known discrepancies, "Difficult".

Neither the Dealer nor the Customer is going to be able to Tune the Bike with the Carbs that some PO managed to bugger and alter sufficiently enough to:

Have the Dealership even attempt to repair them within the confines of a limited budget was impossible. It would cost far too much in labor and the Customer was nowhere to be found.

The Dealership would like to extend this offer to the Customer.

Purchase a set of used Carbs off a Running Bike.
    Clean them and refurbish them according to the instructions that can be found within our archives.

Bring the Cleaned Carbs and Bike to the Dealer and they will install and attend to the Fine Tuning without charge.

Seems like that is the least both parties can do for each other.

13. shnuffy

shnuffy Member

Wow Rick... did this story spur you to call the dealer or did you already know somebody there?

Either way, I think that's an awesome solution and just goes to show the effectiveness that this site can have on getting these XJs up and running (one way or another). Granted, purchasing carbs for his bike will probably be the most difficult step.

14. cpayne74

cpayne74 New Member

Already tried getting a new set of carbs off of ebay. It came down to the wire. Thanks for checking up on this Rick. It shows that members here have interest in the people that are members. I think that came out right.

But what is not known was that I did pay 600 dollars in advance to work on the bike. That's what it would take for the dealer to start working on the bike. At no point in time was a budget/limit set. I would pay anything to get my bike working. I understand the dealer also didn't make a profit on it either. They lost a lot on labor hours.

I truly have no problems with any of the guys at the shop. I think what they do is cool. Would I buy a bike from there shop? Yeah. I like the V Star Custom. Heck, even when I brought my girlfriend in she was thinking about getting a darn scooter to go to college(save on gas). They were going to sell me one at cost. That was nice of them.

Basically, I have chalked this up to a bad experience. On both sides. So now its time to do it myself and get the Haynes manual. Like someone posted earlier, "Nobody will fix your bike as well as you will."

15. Swissjon

Swissjon Member

Hmm.. Not sure I agree with you there Rick.

First off, it's sad that the guy died, but businesses need to make allowances for losing staff, whether they pass away, move on or get sacked, if you put all your eggs in one bucket, your business model sucks, you're going to end up with unhappy clients.

Second. There's no excuse for not calling. The guy called in at least 4 times in the past year, they should have taken his deatils on any of those occasions.

Third. You take a fixed price contract with cash up front YOU take the hit if it turns out more expensive and parts difficult to obtain, not the client.

Forth. When it became apparent that there were no skills in house to fix the problem after the demis of the tech, they should have given a full refund and returned the bike to the client.

Fifth. If after 3 years, the bike is not working properly still, the client is entitled to a full refund, ful stop. You've had the bike long enough. Take the hit and give the money back.

Anything the dealer has to say in this respect is excuses and ballony while trying to avoid accepting blame in the possible face of legal action. He should offer a refund out of the kindness of his heart and then refuse to look at the bike again at any point in the future.

Maybe you get on well with this guy Payne, but in the end, you should get a refund. I would NEVER trust the dealer again with my gear. He's messed up big time.

16. Robert

Robert Active Member

Cpayne, what model 750 is involved here? I ask as I happen to have a spare set of carbs for a 750 Seca I might be persuaded to part with. I can go through them if needs be or fix yours. I have access to a machine shop and Chacal, what can't I fix (this is figurative but I hope you get the point).
    You would do well to post your year and model in your signature line.
    P.S. I sent you an email.
    I agree with you Swissjon, the dealer dropped the ball on this one.

17. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

Look, ... I did the very best I could do with an extraordinarily difficult situation.

I doubt that The Honorable Judge Judy would have any patience with either side of this dispute.

18. Swissjon

Swissjon Member

Unless you're the dealer Rick, nobodies blaming you. We're allowed to disagree without it turning ugly.

If you are the dealer, even if it was a difficult situation, there's a lesson here for you. Perhaps rather than defending, holding your hands up and saying ok, I'll try to make it right, might restore some faith.

19. cpayne74

cpayne74 New Member

Re: XJ750 Update

I got the idle down to about 1500 rpm. I took the carburetors and gave them a good cleaning. The floats on 3 and 4 were rusty, so I got those cleaned.

Now I have another concern. It sounds like it is backfiring in the air-take port under the seat. I have heard a like backfire is nothing to be concerned about.

Also, what is the setting for the pilot screws. Because I am thinking when my bike was in the shop, if they adjusted the pilot screws and those floats were sticking, that may have made it rich.

Ooh. Also, while I was working on the carburetors, I pulled the tank off and gave it a new look. I painted it yellow. I did it for some of the kids I know. lol.

So thanks for everyone's help. I really do mean that.

20. cpayne74

cpayne74 New Member

Also, I am sorry. I didn't realize there was a page two to this. So I thought everyone had stopped posting.

Sorry I am a dork.