1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

The Koolaid Project

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by koolaid5, Apr 3, 2010.

1. koolaid5

koolaid5 Member

Hey Tank - have you made any progress lately?

If you are going to order anything from the TCBros guys I highly suggest emailing them. They're great and will most likely hook you up with a better deal than if you just order straight from the site. It put all the crap I got down in my price range AND they gave me a free t-shirt :D

2. koolaid5

koolaid5 Member

Ok, no more leaking carbs and the bike started right up when I went out today. WOOOOOHHOOOO.... I was so excited I slapped the seat on and took a spin with it still hooked up to the aux tank. It looked like it was hooked up to an iv going through the development. I only went for a minute ride, but it was enough of a taste to know that this is going to be a VERY fun little bike when I'm done with it. I'm super motivated now. The only issue I saw was some smoke from underneath the motor. It was coming off of the H part of the exhaust (the collector?) I'm just going to keep an eye on it for now. I SHOULD take off the exhaust and give it a good cleaning, but that will probably wait until this winter. Hardtailing it will probably be put off until then as well. I think I'm just going to rock the shorty shocks for the rest of the season, but who knows....I change my mind about everything 10 millions times a day, so I guess we'll just wait and see.

I just popped on here to remember how to use my synch gauge then I'm going out to do that.

3. koolaid5

koolaid5 Member

alright... off to the garage again. I got the right size bolts in the mail today for the forward controls thanks to TCBros. I can't say enough about Tyler and their customer service. So, here is the list of stuff I got in and have laying around the garage to work on.....

- Side mount license plate/brake light
    - mini speedo
    - sportster seat (2up)
    - maxim 750 tank
    - longer clutch, throttle, and choke cables (front brake cables have been ordered custom from motionpro and should be in the mail)
    - forward controls and linkages
    - front headlight
    - rear fender

as far as buying parts I think all I have left is maybe some turn signals and maybe a sissy bar.

I think I need to read up on how to attach the rear fender too. I'm clueless . I only cut the very ass end of the frame off, so I THINK I want to have the fender right up under the frame and connected to it. Then I was thinking of having a sissy bar welded on down near the axle, going up and welded to the rear fender to provide more support and comfort for the rear seat. How does that sound? Adcice....criticism??? Let me have it. I should have some pics for you guys by Monday.

4. koolaid5

koolaid5 Member

I also got the longer throttle cable put on, but I'm not sure about it. There is some slack in it. I have to twist the throttle a good inch or so before the slack is out. Is there a way to fix this? The only thing I can think of is to modify the "catch" or whatever that is above the carbs that the cable sits in. If I could move that up an inch or add a spacer or something it would fix it. I don't know... I'm a moron :D

5. streetbrawler750

streetbrawler750 Member

Theres an adjustment on the control where the cable goes into. You may be able to take the slack out with, it is like adjusting the clutch lever.

6. koolaid5

koolaid5 Member

I should have specified... that is with that adjustment already made. It's still that far off :(

7. schooter

schooter Active Member

if you have a welder or know anyone wh9 does, just take the mount off and add another inch...

8. koolaid5

koolaid5 Member

I got one, but haven't taught myself how to use it yet. :D I was pm'ing with chacal and he suggested a nylon spacer shaped to fit tight in the carb mount and on the cable end. I might go that route or attempt to weld a piece on.....not sure yet. Maybe I'll attempt the nylon spacer first and then after I DO teach myself how to weld I'll pull it and do it up better this winter.

9. streetbrawler750

streetbrawler750 Member

Ya know I kinda thought after I wrote that you would know to adjust it there. You should throw up some pics of the apes I am curious how it looks.

10. koolaid5

koolaid5 Member

I'm going to be working on it the next few days and I'll pull it out of the garage to get some pics at some point.

11. Mad_Bohemian

Mad_Bohemian Active Member

I did the spacer thing on my 'altered' controls koolaid. Actually I took an the clear body from an ink pen (Like the clear bodied bic pens..). cut it to length then carefully used a coping saw to cut a slot in it length-wise for the cable to slip into. I'll try to get a pic posted later today or tomorrow if you need it...

12. koolaid5

koolaid5 Member

that is an out-STANDING idea. Thanks man. I walked around O'Riley Auto Parts yesterday looking for something to use, but didn't see anything, so I thought I'd just search around the garage instead. I don't think I have a normal bic pen, but I'll look around for something similar.

13. Mad_Bohemian

Mad_Bohemian Active Member

My application was slightly different in that I was trying to fit a Harley cable to my new hand controls and carb, but the principle shoud work the same...

[​IMG]

The pen was one of the more 'fancy' pens with the silver tip that screws off when you want to replace the cartridge.

[​IMG]

cut to length and slotted..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As you can see, the threaded portion of the pen fit perfectly in the cable cup on the carbs..

14. koolaid5

koolaid5 Member

that's perfect. That's exactly what was in my head. I'm going to see what I have laying around to do something similar. Thanks

15. koolaid5

koolaid5 Member

OK! A bit of work has been done since I posted up any pics. I did a bit of work today on my day off and actually got it to the point that I could take it for a spin around the neighborhood and......f'n-A.....this bike is a blast.

Just ignore the varios parts being supported by zip ties for the meantime :D and feel free to speak freely and let me know what you really think.....

Oh, and ignore the IV that is feeding the bike for now. I still haven't done anything to the new to me maxim 750 tank.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and then some with the munchkins. They're digging the new bike a lot.

One with two sweet kids.....

[​IMG]

and then two badass kids rockin out....

[​IMG]

16. koolaid5

koolaid5 Member

I know none of the pics I took real quick today with the cell phone today show much detail, so if you want to see anything closer let me know. The new parts in the pics include: TCBros forward controls and 15" apes, maxim 750 tank, sportster 2up seat, screamin eagle slip ons, license plate/brake light, and a whole lot of shit removed.

Stuff I still need to get done.... work out some more wiring to get the headlight (round one not in the pics) and brake light hooked up. Find some turn signals that I like (any advice or suggestions here?). Make some brackets to attache the exhaust better (zip ties are just temporary...hahahaha). Figure out the rear fender and how to attach the sporty seat (again...just zip tied for now). Throw on the mini speedo. Drill out the lock on the tank and swap over the one from my Seca tank. Check out how the inside of the tank looks, clean it, and get it all hooked up. Hook up the air box. Synch the carbs again. Tune it......aaaaaannnnnnddd.... THEN I might be ready to get this bad larry registered and insured.

Paint will probably wait until this winter. I'll tear it all back down with the frame staying black, motor back with fins polished, and tank/fender color is up in the air at the moment.

17. koolaid5

koolaid5 Member

and for those of you that haven't been following my thread or those of you that have forgotten, because I've been dragging my feet on this one... Here is how the bike looked the day I brought it home....

[​IMG]

and here is how it sits now....

[​IMG]

18. Raven

Raven Member

Hey koolaid, looks terrific! I'm not really an ape hanger guy, but your bike looks like it'd just be fun to cruise on when all wrapped up.

Question for you, how does the Sportster seat mate up with your old seca tank? Or had you not tried them together?

19. koolaid5

koolaid5 Member

Thanks....I'm really digging your bike too man. Looks great. I haven't checked the Seca tank with the sportster seat, but that's not a bad idea. I checked it out with a 650 Maxim tank and the 750 Maxim and like the 750 the best out of those two. Monday I'll toss the Seca tank on, take some pics, and post them up in here for you.

20. deadohiosky

deadohiosky Member

Stance is great, crazy how much it has changed since you got it.