1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

New Rider in Brooklyn NY Updated with pictures

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by REN20, Mar 29, 2011.

1. REN20

REN20 New Member

Hi guys,

My name is Ken, Just gotten my 81 xj650 last night. My first bike ever. Figure this could make a great Bday gift for myself tomorrow.

My friend taught me how to ride when I was 13. Maybe rode for a couple of times ever since. I bought this bike from a gentlemen who's into Rat bikes.

I don't have a Motorcycle license, not even permit yet. Definitely getting these taken care of asap.

I came from the sports car world. Owning an S2000 and a Miata now. And love taking the s2000 to the track for HPDE events. Hopefully some of my 4 wheels experience can transfer to riding.

Buying a bike is fullfiling my childhood dream. I've always love cruiser type bikes. After some research, I figure the xj650 would be the perfect bike to start.

I like to do thing myself, Always worked on my cars. Will do the same to my bike as well. Hoping to learn a lot from the forum.

Nice to meet you all.

Ken

Updates:
    Took some pictures. Plan is to make it more naked.

First, Need to clean her up. Any suggestion on fixing the paint?
    Then,
    remove fairing. Change handle bar and etc.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. moellear

moellear Member

Re: New Rider in Brooklyn NY

happy early birthday! I'll get a PM to ya shortly about the handlebar switch you were looking for.

take a look at the the rear brake shoes. they are important to check for inspection.. afterall you, as the rider, needs a safe way to brake. there's a nice "how to" written by bigfitz52 you can follow

3. skillet

skillet Active Member

WELCOME from TN!!! Lots of GREAT how-to posts (with pics) and HELP when you need it...

skillet

4. iwingameover

iwingameover Active Member

Welcome.

Get an MSF course, easy path to your license and may save your skin.

Get those rear brakes checked.

And pictures we need pictures!

5. macros10

macros10 Member

Welcome from NC! "No sleep till Brooklyn!" lol, love that song!

6. andrewlong

andrewlong Member

Welcome, Ken. Glad to have ya!

Got any pictures?

7. retread83

retread83 Member

Wow,riding in Brooklyn.Did lots of service calls there back when I lived on the Island.This is a gutsy dude!

8. REN20

REN20 New Member

Hey guys, Thanks. I don't have pictures yet. Will be taking some as soon as I get her cleaned.

Yeah, drivers in ny are all race car drivers....

9. REN20

REN20 New Member

here is the bike.
    PO painted it black. paint is coming off. I need to find a way to strip the paint from engine.

I am not really feeling the fairing either. I want that naked look. The PO spliced up the wires. It seems like a trouble some job to return it back to stock headlight.
    plus I will need to purchase parts. Any pointers?

What do you think? Should I just leave it as is. Tune her up and be done with? Do I have much options with the handle bar?

I already bought the XJCD. It's got tons info. But real world experience is definitely richer info from you guys.

Attached Files:

10. iwingameover

Aircraft stripper is what you want to take paint off where ever you don't want paint anymore. You can find it at autoparts stores. Follow the directions and it comes off with a paper towel.

If you plan to do alot of highway riding you may regret dumping the fairing. I've added a small fairing to my bike because after about 30 minutes at highway speed I've had about enough of the wind.

The bars are 7/9 diameter, there's bars out there in just about any shape.

11. REN20

REN20 New Member

Another pic. Different Angle.

Will full face helmet make a difference on highway speed?

Attached Files:

12. tskaz

tskaz Active Member

Just make damn sure it is COMPLETELY dry before you even think about painting. One drop of the aircraft remover and the paint will not stick.

oops. Typo. Bars are 7/8". And yes, there are more choices out there than exhaust tips for your S2000.

Taking the fairing off isn't too big of a deal. But before you do, get a manual and a wiring diagram. Then you can just undo what the PO did.

If you decide to later, you can always install a smaller wind fairing, something more to your liking.

13. mlew

mlew Well-Known Member

Greetings from NC, welcome to the wonderfull world of XJ Yamaha.

If you ever see this car in NY I want it back. Solt it to a guy in Yonkers several years ago. He has since painted it white ... Yuck

14. REN20

REN20 New Member

It's funny that there is always a hotrod meet around where I live on Friday nights. Cars like that would definitely show up once a while.

If I am to sell the Fairing. How much can I sell it for?

15. iwingameover

Sorry about the typo. Fat fingers and small laptop keyboards are a bad mix.

The full face will keep the wind off your face. For me the issue is more of the wind pushing against my chest as I have a full fave helmet. Cruising around at 45 or so doesn't bother me. cruising on the highway at about 65-70 starts to get old after while. My arms get tired of holding me forward against the wind. Maybe it's because I'm not the most aerodynamic shape.

16. lostboy2

lostboy2 Member

Welcome from VA. Nice looking bike. With a little time and effort and you will have a nice jewel. I don't know about driving in Brooklyn.lol I would definitely take bigfitz advice and give everything a once over especially the rear brakes just for peace of mind and your skin. There are tons of information on this forum as well as how-to's and everyone on here are more than willing to lend a helping hand with information. Also, there might even be someone in your area that is close to you that would be willing to assist on some of your ventures. Great site! Welcome again.

17. REN20

REN20 New Member

Can I install a 750 Seca handle Bar on my bike? I like the less bend and sporty look of it.

Someone local is selling one for $30. Is it reasonable for a used bar? I looked at the bars at bikes shops. They go from 30 - 300 or more...

18. parts

parts Member

Welcome to the site.

19. Raven

Raven Member

Hey Ken-
    I wouldn't get that set for your bike. The 750 Seca stock handlebars have rubber coverings on them. The bars themselves have mounting tabs sticking off to hold these covers on (you'd have to cut/grind these off).

I'd recommend just Google'ing "bikemaster handlebars" and a bunch stuff will come up, and you should be able to get it shipped to you for less than $30. They come in a bunch of different bends, too. For what you're describing that you'd like, I'd consider the "European" bend. :)

20. BillB

BillB Active Member

Euro is good.