1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

What did you do to your Yamaha today?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Cutlass84, Jun 4, 2007.

1. KrS14

KrS14 Active Member

That's a really good idea Maxim-X i'll have to try that next time for sure!

I can change the filter and get the drain plug out ok, i just REALLY don't want to get oil all over the new exhaust and have it burn off, and weaken the header.

I think that's why the old one rotted out.

I've got to put the center stand up on one or two 2x4's as well. or the oil will run all the way back across the pan. (Had to do this both at home and at my buds garage.

2. schuchman

schuchman New Member

Over the weekend we had a 300 mile round trip trip planned. I got a universal windshield, backrest and luggage rack. Installed everything and we made it, barely. Speedometer appeared to not work correctly. Said I was pushing 57 when I was going 85.

3. doc2029

doc2029 Member

LOL, yeah tell me about it mine says 55 in reality that is 70 MPH. Get a speedometer app for your phone and you'll be OK...

4. doc2029

doc2029 Member

Put on my newly acquired 82 XJ750 tank on my same year 650. Two weeks ago put on a new valve cover gasket and donuts. And put on stock bars, new OEM grips and throttle!

5. Ground-Hugger

Ground-Hugger Member

I picked up a pair of slightly scratched, witch means gouged, crash bars locally for $30 dollars for it.

6. andrewlong

andrewlong Member

Sloshed around phosphoric acid in the '95 tank

WHAT A MESS

It looks beautiful, though

7. venlis

venlis Member

the same i have done the whole summer...

waiting for my valves!!"#¤#%#

8. inet101

inet101 Member

Finished the chambers on my extra 550 head. Valve pockets around the seats are finished, exhaust ports are matched to the stubs, now waiting for the new intake rubbers so the intakes can be matched.......sooooo......swirl polish the backside of the valves and polish/detail the faces is the order of tonight....this takes awhile :)

9. doc2029

doc2029 Member

New spark plugs!

10. tskaz

tskaz Active Member

Ordered the new speedo cable from Motion Pro

11. Brhille

Brhille New Member

Chain and drag bars came in today!! Tonight will be awesome.

12. doc2029

doc2029 Member

Checked valve clearances cleaned the block a little installed a 12 volt charger for my iPhone..

13. andrewlong

andrewlong Member

[mad]
    I'll tell you what I WON'T be doing to my Yamaha this weekend. The fork seals. Why? Because FedEx is a horrible company. If you work for FedEx, do us all a favor and quit and let them go out of business faster than they already are. Quit and go to UPS. Fall down on your knees in front of the UPS headquarters and repent. Tell them what awful things you've done while working for FedEx hopefully they'll see the good in you and hire your package delaying ass. Then go to your family and tell them what a despicable scumbucket you were for working with FedEx. Tell them you no longer work for a company who's main goal is to contaminate society with nothing but evils towards the handling of packages. Start up a website and tell the world that you've seen the light, and FedEx no longer controls your life, your feelings, your emotions, and that your main goal for the future is to work with a company that enjoys delivering packages on time, and hires employees that actually take pleasure in their job. Maybe then you'll be able to reinstate yourself into society as a decent human being.
    [/mad]

[stable]
    With that being said, now I have free time to sand, prime, and paint this tank. Be prepared for lots o' pics.
    [/stable]

14. sgio

sgio Member

I changed the oil and filter. I made sure to use a 6 point socket on that Filter bolt and broke it free. Thanks for the great advice here! Pulled the rear wheel, checked the brakes and found no de-lamination yeah! I gave the bike its first cleaning. Went for a ride then replaced the final drive oil.

15. hendo68

hendo68 Member

Finished checking and adjusting my valve lash. then it started raining, did not get to test ride it:(

16. KrS14

KrS14 Active Member

Left her at home cause it was supposed to storm... of course... no storms when i would have been driving.... lol

17. LVSteve2011

LVSteve2011 Member

I couldn't do anything but gaze lovingly into her big rectangular eye; one more week in Minneapolis then it's SIN CITY bound!!!

18. andrewlong

andrewlong Member

This is pretty spot on when it comes to bikes

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. uni_vision_tech1

uni_vision_tech1 New Member

Put on brand new carb boots, leaks were so badon the old ones that cylinder 1 wouldnt even run. Started up the bike, set idle, and man did she purr so ever nicely. Finally got the chance to ride her to school. Long story short, oil level light on, thick white smoke spewing out the exhaust with dark black oil drippin out the tip.... oh baby why dont you like me? Oh well, at least she got me past 100mph on my birthday, a gift that i wont forget.

20. xj_mark

xj_mark New Member

Tried the PineSol Carb cleaning trick.
    Rejetted to #115 for pods
    Did a carb Lower end rebuild
    Bench synched

Reinstalled carbs and now I am getting gas leaking from the carbs.

I did get it running though, but only with the enrichment circuit. Still had a pretty rough idle, but it has stopped revving to 5000 with the throttle and slowly coming down.

Got a better look at the intake manifold and there are several small cracks in the boots. Hopefully not big enough to leak. Will have to check that.

Also looks like I am not getting flow from the the petcock in the on position, just in prime, so that might also be on the repair list.

Removing the carbs again tomorrow to check the floats (dry and wet).

Hoping to get a good enough idle to vacuum synch and colortune.

Two days ago, I changed the oil and put in a new retainer bolt for the oil filter. And removed the rear wheel to check the drum brake... no delamination. Phew! :) Oh, and removed the valve cover and checked the valve clearances.