1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

What did you do to your Yamaha today?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Cutlass84, Jun 4, 2007.

1. arby

arby New Member

Finally pulled the rear wheel to check the brake shoes. They were in excellent condition. The friend that was helping me is a Harley guy, and he was amazed at how quickly we finished.

2. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

It is what the factory recommends, yes (having the YICS tool in place for fine-tuning mixtures.) Of course, the factory was using an EGA; but the ColorTune is our "visual substitute."

I wouldn't spend too much time trying to sync the carbs though; with valves as tight as yours are, once you get the valves adjusted it's gonna throw your vacuum sync way off anyway.

3. Ground-Hugger

Ground-Hugger Member

Rode bike up and down the road like "a bat out of hell" to tweak the carb settings. Looks good! I have a number of bikes I'm watching, to choose one from, to line up a new one to work on after the new year. The hard part is that choosing which one, none of them is over $500!

4. thomasbradley

thomasbradley New Member

Last night I pulled the tank checked the plugs, routed everything out of the way, gave the frame a needed dusting - tonight I'm checking valve clearances.

5. Massimo33

Massimo33 Member

Bled the front brakes and remounted the carbs on the bike.
    Finished putting the trim pieces and footpegs back on.
    Getting closer to it being back on the road!

6. eman1974

eman1974 Member

Finally got a new modular headlight installed. WOW! Let there be light.

7. trgrhappy

trgrhappy Member

Pulled the front end off and took the triple clamps to the machine shop to have the stem transferred to a virago 750 tree.

8. 82XJTurbo

82XJTurbo Member

Turbo is up on the lift. Rebuilt the forks today, rebuilt the calipers, new brake pads, shoes, Goodyear stainless brake lines, and last but not least fresh set of Pirelli Sport Demon's

9. Kwiski

Kwiski Member

Getting set-up for paint but right now it be all about the ride 500+ miles a week. Nothin better than a good bike & 70+ MPH down the highway.

10. Brhille

Brhille New Member

I rode it to work with a big smile on my face.

11. arby

arby New Member

Checked the valve clearances. Unfortunately, I'll be ordering a valve shim tool and new shims in the near future.

12. ZaGhost

ZaGhost Member

Get her in for the 2 year inspection...all good to go :)

13. buzz81mach

buzz81mach Member

Just getting the carbs back on after cleanning. Oh what a great feeling.

14. JTJ650

JTJ650 Member

Tank off, carbs off and disassembled, back fender off...making way for shorter suspension, a bobber rear fender, solo seat, and new paint...oh and a bigger engine!

15. SecaMaverick

SecaMaverick Active Member

Had to retorque the cylinder head crown nuts, 2,000 miles after the top end rebuild. I thought it was odd that the thing started leaking a little, and sure enough, they needed tightened.
    It scared me when they "snapped" free during the first turn, but after that it took a few quarter turns (on one nut especially) to get it back up to torque value. Weird.
    I seem to remember Len (XJ4Ever) recommending in his catalog that the studs be replaced during a rebuild, for torque reasons. Maybe I shoulda oughta dunnit.

16. azman857

azman857 Member

Well lessee.....scrubbed the tank with "Goo Gone" to get some glue residue left by a removed tank protector. Took carb #4 off the rack for a cleaning. I've had this bike just a few weeks. I rescued it from a garage so the carbs are frozen up. Fixed one of the snipped off connecters on the handlebar switches. Took off the petcock to get some of the loose garbage out. No keys. Put some JB Weld on some extra drilled holes and a crack on the side covers. More to do....

17. Maximon

Maximon New Member

After reading about battery issues went down and checked my batt and sure enough levels were low. Yikes!!! Pulled it out, filled levels and then put on tender (2a although I just read it should be 1a gahhh) Then read about winter riding. So went down again and checked air pressure and needing 4psi in front and 8psi in back!!! I will need to get that done before riding again. I'm living in a building, so luckily for me, my underground parking spot has a light right over the center of it, so can do stuff.

Thanks to XJ community, I'm learning all the good things to do before bad things happen (learning the hard way). 8)

18. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

One of my many projects is a long slow build of a Maxim X. I dug through my parts today and was able to put together a complete matching set of handgrips for it. Otherwise, just sorting and arranging other parts.

Dave F

19. MercuryMan

MercuryMan Active Member

Showed the Maximator her new speedo glass that came from the eBay gods! Started process of opening Mikuni deep clean biz. Maximator is smiling. Dogs have decided it's one strange black & chrome beast since it all comes apart!

20. ta2jerry3

ta2jerry3 New Member

I made some 10" crescent wrench struts for mine. Its looking pretty sweet