1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Yet another XJ shall become known as Phoenix!

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by LVSteve2011, Nov 14, 2011.

1. LVSteve2011

LVSteve2011 Member

Today I have officially begun the task of restoring my 1982 Maxim 750 to it's former glory. Ok, it's just a baby step, I disassembled the gas cap. Thanks to WD-40 that I sprayed in the mechanism months ago, I had no difficulty with the screws. Pics to follow in the future.

2. MercuryMan

MercuryMan Active Member

Wise man say...Journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step...I say go for it man! Turn that old 2 legged into a beacon of beautiful steel! Oh yea and then shine that light our way by way of those pics! LVSteve you've inspired me to drink another brew!

3. Yammadof

Yammadof Member

So let me get this right.......you sprayed the gas cap "a few months ago" and you just taking it apart now......so on that time scale, I'll need a comfy armchair and more than a morning coffee........lead on McDuff...me an my trusty wheelchair will be right alongside as you gallop through this reno..... [p.s. any pics yet??] :lol:

4. LVSteve2011

LVSteve2011 Member

I know that my progress so far seems "glacial", but I'm just gettin' started. Yes Yammadof, I sprayed lots of fasteners and other mechanisms with the great WD-40 when I first got the bike last August. I even used it to free up some stuck switches and buttons, the stuff works great. Right now I'm waiting to see if our offer on a home will be accepted; until I get a decent garage, I have to work in a storage unit; no work bench, no chemicals or solvents allowed, no air compressor, about the only thing I can do is take her apart. I'll try to get so pics out tomorrow. In the mean time, here's a pic of my old beemer.

Attached Files:

5. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

WD40 is for "Water Dispacement" hence the name; it's "passable" as a penetrant.

This stuff: http://www.kanolabs.com/google/ works when NOTHING else will, honest. Make the investment; you're gonna need some.

6. LVSteve2011

LVSteve2011 Member

Yah fitz, I'm well aware of aerokroil, used it on my 350 Honda back in the day. But so far I'm not finding any problems that the WD can't handle. Thank you for the info, I've been looking for it.

7. a340driver

a340driver Member

I'm sure you all know the primary ingredient in WD is fish oil .... so that translates to, while your waiting for the bolt to loosen ... go fishing!!

8. a340driver

a340driver Member

OK .. You've inspired me .. I have an 81 XJ750 in my garage mint, waiting for a rebuild ... this is my second XJ. The first one turned out fantastic, and is now sporting collector plates, and runs like a dream! ... Time for number two!

9. Yammadof

Yammadof Member

Steve: Love that Beemer!!.....just kidding about the progress....but you did say "the screws on the gas cap"......Loved my R80/7 ....and will replace it in the future..my XJ650 is in the middle of a strip and clean....just making up the list..$600 and counting + new rubber back and front....but that's the deal - we just love to do it. I'm probably like most on this board - need a project to start and finish ...here's my last one:

http://www.bbcboards.net/zerothread?id=683215

So the bikes are soooo much fun.!!

10. LVSteve2011

LVSteve2011 Member

Yah,Yammadof, there are 7 screws associated with the gas cap. As well as 6 springs, but that's not even counting the lock.

11. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

Aren't you happy that bikes aren't overly complicated like cars?

nice bike though....

jeff

12. LVSteve2011

LVSteve2011 Member

Oh yah! I can take it apart and put her back together again in my sleep. I've never split the cases on an XJ before, but I think I could do it if I had to.

13. a340driver

a340driver Member

OK, I have to ask .. who is the lovely lady in your Avatar shot JeffK

14. maybe4

maybe4 Member

I was wondering that myself....someone on here has a better half (I think) in the buff on his XJ - classy and from behind - tried talking mine into it - no go lol

15. LVSteve2011

LVSteve2011 Member

I have begun the task of dis-assembling my 750 Maxim, though I started yesterday, I really got things off it today. Not a single stubborn bolt or nut has vexed me. Finding lots of evidence of the former residents (spiders) and lots of Acorn remains. I'll try to load some pics. Got an error message so I can't upload any pics.

16. LVSteve2011

LVSteve2011 Member

Does any body know how the metal plating people set the prices for plating parts?

17. wizard

wizard Active Member

Are you talking chrome ? if so I pay $30 / small item, like a shock spring, or meter case.

18. MercuryMan

MercuryMan Active Member

LVSteve your in Vegas right? There has got to be multiple options for Electric-plating in your area. You're best bet is to find a location that does volume because they will be getting the best price on their products.

Second option find some guys who are just starting up because they are looking for customers and are also probably still really digging the process and the result and will just want your parts to test their skills. And it's not like painting if you have the equipment it requires very little skill.

Wizards price sounds right. I had a Hurst shift stick knob done a few years back for $20. I'm sure prices have gone up with the spike in commodities over the past 3 years.

19. LVSteve2011

LVSteve2011 Member

Thanks Merc, Wizard, Yah I have a lot of parts I want to get re-plated; head light bracket, the whole exhaust, front fender, nuts, bolts, various other brackets. I have budgeted $500 for plating alone. Then there is powder coating and polishing of "ALUMINUM" parts.

20. LVSteve2011

LVSteve2011 Member

Here is the latest update on my project; have removed the wiring harness, battery box, starter, exhaust system, and the carbs. I must be really lucky, I removed the carb to head boots without snapping a single bolt head off. Here is a pic of the intake ports for cylinders 1&2.

Attached Files: