1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

xj frames

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by shadow, Feb 16, 2012.

1. shadow

shadow New Member

hi.i got a complete xj750 but the frame is knackered.will the engine fit any other frames in the xj series?

2. day7a1

day7a1 Member

Define "knackered". The engine will fit other frames...but the other parts of the complete bike won't. IIRC, it's not a perfect fit though. You can find similar projects via the "search" function. "Engine swap"

3. ManBot13

ManBot13 Well-Known Member

Also, if a "knackered" frame can be repaired, and you're interested in doing a complete swap anyway, just take it down to the frame, take the frame to a qualified welder, and have it repaired.

They're steel tube and not very complicated, so repairing should be an option unless it's SEVERLY damaged (in that case you'd be replacing more than the frame).

If it's been chopped up, you could always get peices off of another, perhaps untitled, frame, have them cut and welded onto your own (again, pay someone who's qualified to do the work).

Usually "engine swap" is only the engine, so when it comes to tank, plastics, welded tabs, etc, NOTHING will completely line up between models.

4. shadow

shadow New Member

cheers guys.cost of fabrication and welding of frame has been quoted at over£200. cheaper option is a replacement frame.found a 650 frame for half that.wanted to make sure engine would fit.ta

5. TIMEtoRIDE

TIMEtoRIDE Active Member

I'm guessing England, or close, and I'm guessing the 650 is the "Seca" style, and if so, it drops in with little fuss.

Can you post-up actual VIN #'s for a more complete exam ??

Welcome to the site !!