1. Some members were not receiving emails sent from XJbikes.com. For example: "Forgot your password?" function to reset your password would not send email to some members. I believe this has been resolved now. Please use "Contact Us" form (see page footer link) if you still have email issues. SnoSheriff

    Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Handlebar exchange from 650 to 1100

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by HalfCentury, Dec 3, 2012.

  1. HalfCentury

    HalfCentury Member

    Messages:
    681
    Likes Received:
    22
    Trophy Points:
    18
    Location:
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Hey guys

    Long time no see. I have been remiss being here.

    Just acquired a 1982 Maxim 1100 in great shape. The only thing that is a disappointment so far are the handlebars. How difficult is it to put 650 handlebars on to the 1100?

    Is there such a thing as readily obtainable hard luggage for the 1100?
     
  2. MiGhost

    MiGhost Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    1,576
    Likes Received:
    160
    Trophy Points:
    63
    Location:
    Lower 48 in general. Otherwise Central Mitten.
    For the handle bars.
    unbolt the mount stubs, and replace with risers from a virago. This will allow the round bar handle bar to be used.

    Readily obtainable hard luggage. Yeah right!
    I have only seen 1 complete set available in 2 years. No I am not intersted in selling it.

    Watch for the hard luggage for the early 80's XS1100. Maybe check out the XS11.com forum.

    Ghost
     
  3. Ted

    Ted Member

    Messages:
    432
    Likes Received:
    16
    Trophy Points:
    18
    Location:
    Sioux Falls, SD
  4. mlew

    mlew Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    3,090
    Likes Received:
    242
    Trophy Points:
    63
    Location:
    Apex, NC
    Factory,direct fit hard bags are really hard to find. You can slightly modify a set of XS11 bags to fit.
    The front bar will have to be bent a little and the exhaust lowered. We did also have to clearence the grab bar for the front bar to fit into.
     

    Attached Files:

  5. maximike

    maximike Member

    Messages:
    536
    Likes Received:
    1
    Trophy Points:
    16
    Location:
    Portland, OR, USA
    Wow! I like that a lot. Reminds me of some kind of renegade cop bike, lol. Do the bags just come out of there? Kind of a combined bag/crash bar deal. Will that work on a 750? Or something similar...
     
  6. mlew

    mlew Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    3,090
    Likes Received:
    242
    Trophy Points:
    63
    Location:
    Apex, NC
    Bags are bolted in place and not meant to be easily removed. The XS and XJ11 are so similar the bag swap was easy. I don't think they would be a easy fit on a 750 because it is a much smaller bike. With some work they might fit.
    The bags on there even have a built in trailer hitch.
     
  7. maximike

    maximike Member

    Messages:
    536
    Likes Received:
    1
    Trophy Points:
    16
    Location:
    Portland, OR, USA
    Yeah, I don't know where I would even get them, just daydreaming. I know the exhaust on mine would be in the way, for pretty much any hard luggage. But I sure like the look of having them "framed in" like that. Beats ammo cans, that's for sure.

    Edit: sorry for the thread hijack, haha. It occurred to me after my cop comment that what I really need are bags off an XJ750P. Police that is.
     
  8. MiGhost

    MiGhost Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    1,576
    Likes Received:
    160
    Trophy Points:
    63
    Location:
    Lower 48 in general. Otherwise Central Mitten.
    The bags on the 750P are very similar to the Bates hard bags of the 70's. If you are lucky enough to locate the mounting brackets for an XS. It should not be much of a problem adapting them to fit the XJ. To give you a rough idea for prices. $75-$100 per bag plus another $75-100 for a mounting kit.

    Ghost
     
  9. HalfCentury

    HalfCentury Member

    Messages:
    681
    Likes Received:
    22
    Trophy Points:
    18
    Location:
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Thanks, mlew. That is exactly what I was looking to see about the luggage. What did you use to lower the exhaust?
     
  10. HalfCentury

    HalfCentury Member

    Messages:
    681
    Likes Received:
    22
    Trophy Points:
    18
    Location:
    Virginia Beach, VA

Share This Page