1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

XJ 750 project

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by a340driver, Jan 19, 2013.

?

Restore it?

Poll closed Jan 22, 2013.
  1. Modify it

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Chop it

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. a340driver

a340driver Member

OK, I'm looking at my 2nd XJ bike ... should I do something really wild with it, restore it to stock, chop it, ... I also have a parts bike, and an extra engine.
    Maybe twin the engines for a monster bike ??? The bike is actually in pretty good shape, but has sat in a warehouse for 20 years.

2. Orange-n-Black

Orange-n-Black Well-Known Member

Twinning the engines would be difficult since they are shaft drive(chain drive would be the best candidates), not to mention trying to sync 4 carbs on each engine unless you made a EFI mod.
    Mod it the way you want, but I would recommend getting it running and safe to ride before you decide to mod it. Have fun and post pics as you go.

3. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Connecting the final drives would be a problem, but that's not where twinned engines are normally connected anyway. All the ones I've seen have been connected at the primary drive. He'd have to make a case so the primary drives would be connected to a separate gearbox. Syncing the carbs is just a matter of adding another step to the regular carb syncing routine: synch each rack, then synch one whole rack to the other. It is doable, but it's definitely not going to be an easy undertaking. You're talking about modifying, or making, a frame; building a case to connect the two engines; making a new wiring harness so both engines have a common set of controls; modifying the suspension to allow for the extra weight; and paying for a divorce lawyer.

4. a340driver

a340driver Member

Yes ... thanks ... I didn't figure the divorce lawyer into the budget !!

5. Orange-n-Black

Orange-n-Black Well-Known Member

Then she'll take the bike in the settlement and let her new guy ride it. LOL

6. Krafty

Krafty Member

I like the idea of getting everything up to par, legit and useable, then you can go crazy if ya want.

7. rocs82650

rocs82650 Well-Known Member

a340,

You said this would be your second XJ. Looks like (in your signature) you have both the 750 Seca and Maxim. Get a 900. :lol:

Gary

8. swe-eet

swe-eet Member

Like they said do what u like but please dont cut up a good bike unless its damaged. Bob bike are nice but useless if you take your lawyer for a ride.