1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Fairing removal - point me in the right direction

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by beazy22, May 24, 2013.

1. beazy22

beazy22 Member

Hey all. New around here, been poking around on the site for a while. I have an '82 XJ 750 with a Vetter fairing on it. I'd like to remove the fairing and put on a round headlight instead. I'm not sure what I need to do this though. Can anyone point me in the right direction on where to buy a headlight that will plug in? Also, what mounts will I need? I've searched around and googled and have been unable to come up with much. Also, under the fairing there seems to be a lot of misc wires. Where will these go once I remove the fairing? Thanks for any help you guys can give.

2. beazy22

beazy22 Member

what i meant was, i don't need help removing the fairing, i need help figuring out which parts i need for getting a headlight on the front again. it doesn't look like i'll be able to use the headlight in the fairing.

also, is there a "how-to" on replacing the rear brake? I am freaked out after reading all the delamination stories, but I couldn't find anything on what parts to buy and how to swap them out

i have an '82 maxim xj750

thanks all!

3. skills4lou

skills4lou Member

Hi, and welcome to the forum!

The rear brakes are easy to check, and replace if necessary. Probably best to buy a manual though, you'll need it for lots of other projects/repairs.

As for the fairing, I have a Vetter I'm trying to mount. If you're interested I'd like to buy the mounting hardware off your bike if possible.
    Thanks!

4. beazy22

beazy22 Member

Thanks for the welcome. I'll check into getting a manual. Are the parts something a local auto-store would have in stock or do most people have to get them online?

I'll have no use for the mounting hardware and I'd gladly let it go for nothing (except shipping costs), unfortunately I don't know when I'll be taking it off. I still have to find a headlight/mount that will work. I'd like an aftermarket round one but I don't know which ones will bolt on.

5. skills4lou

skills4lou Member

Most likely you'll need to find parts online for the brakes. User "Chacal" on here has treated me very well. Parts may not be as cheap as you can find on fleabay, but they will fit right and perform as intended. The cheap parts tend to have issues, and I find it's less expensive in the long run to buy good parts.

As for the headlight, can you take some pics of what's there? I'm going to guess you'll need to fab up a mount, as these bike never had a round headlight.

6. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Some of the xj750's had the round headlight along with the rounded gauge pods.....other's had the squared-off headlight along with an auxiliary light below it, and the larger square-ish atari-type gauge pod.

You'll need the headlight mounting bracket, the headlight bucket, the lightbulb,and trim rings. Now, if you have the rectangular bulb, you'll also probably need the smaller bracket for the auxiliary light that goes under the larger rectangular headlight. You'll also need the two turnsignals.

The wiring is already there. The end of the pigtail for the Windjammer is already connected to everything, otherwise.once the fairing is off, all you have to do is to install the bracket, then install the headlight bucket. Now, work harness back into the bucket and pay attention to what you disconnect so that you can reconnect it correctly inside the bucket.

As you get to the connections that go to the fairing pigtail, unhook methodically, and re-hook up to the appropriate lights. Once you have that done, you'll need the short wire-harness part that goes from the harness to the headlight. Hook that to the bulb, close everything up. Now, stand back and look at your first restoration step. Pat yourself on the back, and say to yourself, "I CAN do it". Now you're one of us.........and you'll be hooked.

Dave F

7. skills4lou

skills4lou Member

Ah, I somehow had it in my mind that this was a Seca 750! Disregard my earlier comment on the headlight swap.

8. beazy22

beazy22 Member

My xj has the "atari" speedo, I think that one had the square headlight stock. I'll look into Chacal and see what he offers for stock replacements, unless I can get the round light to fit there with the wiring/mounts.

Thanks Hog/Skills for your comments and assistance.

9. robertk445

robertk445 New Member

Hey Beazy I am new here so hope I am posting correctly. I think I understand that you are removing your fairing. If I am correct, do you want to sell it?
    I just bought and 82 xj 750 crimson red and would like to find a Sport Fairing for it. Can anyone point me to one? I realize they are a little hard to find but I would love some help!! Also has anybody seen the glass over the headlight for these fairings, I found one that was in pretty rough shape with no glass, not sure if it is worth buying? I would imagine that the rubber seal is imposssible to come by. Please share some advice. Thanks

10. MiGhost

MiGhost Well-Known Member

Lower 48 in general. Otherwise Central Mitten.
    beazy
    Once you have the fairing removed. Here is what you will need.

Headlight mounting bracket: For the 82 750 maxim this would be the bracket that has the lower mounting point of the bracket attached to the right side of the lower tree. These are plentiful as most of the 82's get the round lights modification done to them.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/1982-Yamaha-xj- ... 8c&vxp=mtr
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/82-xj750-xj-750 ... 8a&vxp=mtr

Headlight: The 82 750 maxim used the rectanular headlight with a black plastic cover for the mounting. These are harder to come by as the plastic housing tends to break easily.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/1982-Yamaha-xj- ... Light-And- Bucket-/161037513069?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item257e95716d&vxp=mtr

The 82 750J also used an aux driving light mounted below the headlight.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/1982-Yamaha-xj- ... ac&vxp=mtr
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/1982-Yamaha-Max ... 55&vxp=mtr

Turn signals: The 82 750J used rectanular turn signals mounted to the stubs on the ends of the fronk fork badge/emblem. But you can use any light of preference as long as they fit the mounting stubs.

As noted: Make careful notes as to wiring connections. Most will be simple dedicated/color coded connectors, but there are a few loose wire connections.

Ghost