1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

What did you do to your Yamaha today?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Cutlass84, Jun 4, 2007.

1. wink1018

wink1018 Active Member

tonight, after work, I decided to work on the carbs (tried to get rid of a lean stumble just off-idle). I played around with using different pilot air jets. After each jet change, I had to colortune each cylinder. So far I think I've been able to minimize but not get rid of the stumble.

Here's what I had done:

1981 650 maxim had 112 main fuel jet and 41 pilot fuel jet. Needle turned out 5 turns to get nice color on colortune plug. Found out it had 50 for a main air jet and 225's for pilot air jet. No wonder I had to turn the pilot needle out so far. Plus, it makes sense why I had a lean stumble just off idle until the motor got to 3500 rpms.

I pulled out the 225 pilot air jets and installed some 195's I had from another set of carbs. I color tuned my idle. At this time I feel that the motor is slightly rich just off idle.

Back to the garage, I pull out the 195's and install a set of 205's. Colortune my idle again. Took it out for a ride and didn't notice the stumbles a much. I think I could fine tune the off idle mix a bit more, but I'll have to pick up some more pilot air jets.

I think I'll be happy with today's results.

final results: 112 main fuel jets, 40 pilot fuel jets, average pilot needle is about 3.25 turns, 205 pilot air jets, and 50 main air jets. All with a proper color tune and another carb sync.

we'll see if my fuel mileage goes up or down from here. I know it runs more smooth in the transitions now.

2. cbrozefsky

cbrozefsky New Member

Over the weekend, on my '81 xj650H

Put new valve shims in, closed it back up with a new gasket. Rebuilt master cylinder, installed the stainless steel line and popped the piston out of the caliper with brake fluid. Gotta replace it since there is a pit below the seal line. Cleaned out the caliper, and took some paint off due to the brake fluid splashing a little.

In the process of trying to bleed the brakes for the first time ever, I mismounted the lever and horked the return spring so badly it was jammed up against the rubber boot around the plunger. A little tear that I'll have to patch up.

Just put in a parts order for new caliper piston and some shifter cover gaskets so I can stop the leak around my shifter.

Also did some work on the 2011 VStrom, but y'all don't care about that. Having that bike gave me the courage to dig into the XJ650. Slowly building up to the carb clean and tune.

3. cdilmore

cdilmore Member

Replaced my clutch cable, and used Forum instructions to adjust top/bottom, lube cable, lube lever. And I gotta say: she feels like a new bike!

4. dmlyster

dmlyster Member

pulled carb, ordered parts, panic set in and cannot ride. Maybe I'll go fishing first to calm my nerves.

5. SimonRef

SimonRef Member

Oil and Filter change,K+N stock Air Filter.

6. ElkHavenSeca

ElkHavenSeca Active Member

Rode it about 100 miles through the mountains on a windy 2 lane road !

7. motors-guitars

motors-guitars Member

adjusted my handle bars... feels like a new bike, so much more comfortable. and i changed the final drive oil. wow 30 years of the same oil smells horrible. its a good feeling all my fluids are new.

8. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

I rode 168 miles today; leg 2 of a weeklong trip, and the shortest day by far. Day # 1 was 394 miles. I'll be taking short day-trips through the Ozarks until Thursday.

9. ElkHavenSeca

Sweet k moe !!

10. ecologito

ecologito Well-Known Member

That is awesome K-moe, I went for a ride too :p my first 1/2 mile and that was enough excitement :)

11. XJOE550

XJOE550 Active Member

Started work on my the 82 XJ550RJ. Removed and disassembled the caliper. Had a hard time getting the piston out. Air wasn't doing it. So went to my friendly ACE hardware where I was able to purchase a bolt to plug up where the banjo bolt normally fits along with a grease fitting to replace the bleeder nut. A few pumps with my handy grease gun and the piston is out. The M/C and caliper rebuild kits are on the way. Also ordered today the front pads and rear shoes along with fork seals and Euro bar with new had grips. This will be enough to get the bike road worthy. In a couple of months I will go ahead and get the braided SS brake lines. Can't wait until I'm riding her. Oh, also bought a can of compressed air. Trying to get a couple of dents out of the tank. Seems to be working but will most likely take about 3 or four cans.

12. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

It wasn't today, but I finished my trip.....423 miles in 8 hours. I might have to do an Iron Butt run next year.

13. SimonRef

SimonRef Member

Went for MOT,UK roadworthy Test.Bike Passed straight through no problems,so all that fettling in the garage was worthwhile then. :D

14. razz1969

razz1969 Active Member

Carbon fiber vinyl wrap.

Attached Files:

15. kleraudio

kleraudio Member

Put a new valve gasket and replaced all the pressure washers on the 12 screws. Tomorrow I check valve clearance.

16. MidniteMax

MidniteMax Member

Tried to perform my valve clearance check and install new gasket and cam end plugs...but I have a 3 year old who wanted to assist. So, I covered up the big boy toy for today and went outside to play with him with his little boy toys. Sandboxes are still too much fun!

I'll finish what I have to do later tonight. It can wait.

17. ElkHavenSeca

Rode it !!!

18. kleraudio

kleraudio Member

Checked my valve clearances and installed my valve cover with new gasket and pressure washers. Discovered a badly leaking petcock...

19. BluesBass

BluesBass Member

Well not all today, but recent work on the Yamahas:

Sold the XS400 to two friends. I was relieved to learn the smaller guy was the one actually buying the 400, the other was sized more for a 750 or 900....

Got the Silver 650 running with the MAC exhaust. She starts and idles great, I'm pleased and now just trying to locate a new owner for her.

Got the Virago 1100 nearly completed. Worked out a few wiring bugs. I had to replace the front right turn signal and I finally got the rats nest of wiring in the headlight bucket organized and settled. Also managed to get the horns working, though pathetically - I will have to replace them. Luckily I have two spare sets.

Got the Virago 700 nearly complete. Scavenged parts from it for the 1100, but I'll find replacements later as funds permit.

Parked the Midnight 650 Maxim for the time due to a leg-soaking oil leak. Planning on a top-end tear down and resurfacing the head and jugs before reassembly.

Put new Michelin Commander II tires on the Midnight and the 550 and truly impressed with the difference - these will go on every bike I own in the future. The best way to describe the difference is 'confidence'. Turns and cracks in the road no longer feel hairy, they just feel smooth and controlled.

Still a lot to do, but I'm trying to give the bikes some fair attention.

20. kleraudio

kleraudio Member

Ordered an on/off petcock and replacement shims :) This weekend will be fun again! If I could only get it to start when I pushed the button and not have to crank on the throttle!