1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Cheap replacement for relays? or a source to buy new one?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by xj650la, Oct 28, 2013.

1. xj650la

xj650la Member

Hi all,
    I'm having starting circuit issues with my 82 Maxim XJ6560J. In the process of trying to figure that out, I found that the relay with the yellow paint is bad by testing it. I energized the the two prongs that have the coil between them and the other two prong still showed OL on my test meter. Does anyone know if I can figure out exactly what type of relay it is so that I could find one that's compatible in a junk yard? It seems like a great thing to know how to do anyway. But if not, can someone point me to a source to buy a new one?
    thanks a lot,
    Scott

2. schmuckaholic

schmuckaholic Well-Known Member

Talk to Chacal. He can set you up.

3. BluesBass

BluesBass Member

That is your headlamp relay. If I am not mistaken, even energized it will not close the secondary circuit until a threshold voltage is reached. This is because the headlamp does not come on when you turn the bike on and will only come on once a threshold voltage has been generated by the alternator - this helps save power until the engine is running and charging (in other words, it won't siphon power for the headlamp while you are drawing high current for the starter).

Once your bike produces the correct threshold voltage, there is a holding coil that will keep the secondary circuit closed, so if the bike dies while you are riding the headlamp stays on for safety. While moving you don't lose your main source of light and become invisible to motorists after dark.

Chacal does have the replacements, in OEM and aftermarket - I know because I just ordered two. The OEM ones are expensive, and the aftermarket ones have a slight electrical / functional difference in them but will still do the job.

Before you order from Len, look at the rest of the starting circuit. If you are getting a no-crank or intermittent cranking, check the safety switches (clutch engagement safety switch at the clutch lever, kickstand safety switch, contacts in the kill switch at the throttle grip) as well as the starter relay. An easy way to test the starter relay is to jump it with a screwdriver with an insulated handle - basically bypass the relay. This is best done after confirming the rest of the circuit is intact. You may also have a loose or corroded connection somewhere, so inspect your wiring harness completely. Lightly sand all corroded connectors and reassemble with dielectric grease.

Of the 7 bikes I own or have owned in the last year or so (all Yamaha) only one has a bad headlamp relay. Two had bad starters and one had a bad starter solenoid - all bikes are around 30 years old.