1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

When it starts to become a passion... The Black Cat.

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by elGato, Nov 16, 2013.

1. elGato

elGato Member

So the other day, I was looking at my bike in the garage, and it wouldn't start start because of various issues. With ambitious trips planned next year, I was thinking about selling and getting a newer bike. But I jumped the solenoid and got her to start and took her out in chilly 45 degree weather.

These bikes have power and handle, they're comfortable and stealthy.

I realized the bike is perfect for me. I looked at the work I had already done, and realized that brings a wonderful feeling. I worked hard in high school to get this bike, and learned lessons from working on it and meeting the approval of my father. It makes me appreciate riding and decided that selling would be a big mistake.

I really want to bring this bike around. I really like cafe racer's, but I need a bike that can tour. That's my favorite kind of riding, and I want to be proud of the work I have done and feel good riding it. So this is my build thread!

(and I know, not the most exciting...)

Here's one of the only original Photo's of the bike:
    [​IMG]
    I purchased her in 2011 when I was 17. Now I've graduated high school and have a job as an IT support tech. I'm attending college as a Networking Communications Technology major.

Since then, here's the work I have already done:
    Replaced Clutch, friction plates, plain plates, springs and bolts
    Replaced drum brake shoes
    New Rotors (old were warped)
    Caliper Rebuild
    Stainless Steel Brake Lines
    Banjo Bolts and Crush Washers all around
    Valves Checked and new shims where appropriate
    Valve Cove Gasket and Doughnuts
    Rebuilt Fuse Box - In line
    Rehabbed Speedo and new Cable
    Took black paint of Exhaust

And here's a few pictures of what it looks like today:
    [​IMG]
    Some Brown Spots around the petcock from leakage, already bought parts for a rebuild.

[​IMG]
    Exhaust getting a bit rusty...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Currently I have ordered parts to address the starter issues. When the bike is hot, the starter clutch slips. I'm not sure if the dreaded starter clutch is going bad or it's a bad starter/solenoid. I have correct oil etc. The solenoid actually went totally bad, so I am replacing that as well as the starter.

I also have gotten rebuild parts for the Petcock and new rear shock absorbers. The old ones are rusty and squeaky, near the end of the season, they seems to be preforming poorly.

I am looking for is help/advice/criticism about this bike to make it dependable for the long haul. (usually trips between 1,000 and 2,000 miles) I also want to clean it up quite a bit!

I'd love to get engine parts 'mirror' like and add flares of red.

Hopefully you didn't get too bored reading that...
    Let me know what you think. I can respond with more info if needed. More pictures as work is completed.

Thanks Guys,
    elGato

2. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

you sir are a candidate for a second bike and this is the time of year to look for one.
    believe me in 30 years there have been improvements, wouldn't have to be new. just something made in this century.
    then after you have two you'll see a bargain that you just can't pass up, then.......

3. elGato

elGato Member

Ahhh, you're killing me. :p

4. Quixote

Quixote Active Member

You are wise beyond your years, elGato. Too many people go for the newest and most powerful, and miss out on the satisfaction of riding a bike that suits them and that they can get to know inside out. (Which is not to say that a second bike would be a mistake - having two takes the pressure off of having one to ride while you work on the other :) )

5. BluesBass

BluesBass Member

I can certainly confirm the statement that ONE becomes TWO and then just keeps exploding..

If you don't believe me, look at my signature. I'm still planning on adding to that if at all possible.

Also, nice looking bike. These really are great bikes, and I will NEVER let mine go. You couldn't pay me enough to sell my beloved 650 Maxim.

6. Keith30

Keith30 Member

Your bike is in similar shape as mine. I plan to buy a newer bike next year. Probably a Vulcan 900 cruiser. But I won't sell my bike because..well it's not really worth much money and I'd rather have two bikes anyway. I've regretted selling cars that I've owned and sold for cheap. Might as well keep it and buy a newer bike!

7. sanglasmick

sanglasmick Member

When I was 18 I took out my first bank loan to buy a rough XJ650. Enthusiasm for riding was way more than for maintenance. And I seized it at about 95MPH! Rear wheel locked solid! Scary! My oil strainer had blocked.

When I was 18 (back in 1981) I should have bought a cheap engine, there were plenty around then, but I sold the whole bike for scrap. All I was left with was the bank loan and the longing.I am now 50 and have bought another XJ this year because I enjoyed the old one so much.

I have had too many bikes to mention from R80RT BMW to CBR750 Hurrucane, to GL1000 Goldwing, but nothing makes me smile more than the XJ.

There will always be more beautiful bikes, (just like girls!) but its your relationship with them that makes them, and you a bit special.

Buy another bike, keep the one you love!

8. elGato

elGato Member

Haha, these are all valid points! Unfortunately I should probably save money as a rainy day fund, because my daily driver could pop at any moment...
    And I don't have the garage space, but in a few years I'll definitely be set!

I would die to have a turbo model xj. Gotta get my skills fine tuned though.

9. elGato

elGato Member

Could't imagine that, scary ride!

10. elGato

elGato Member

Hi, Progress Update!
    I rebuilt this dirty old petcock a few days ago!

[​IMG]

After taken apart and cleaned
    [​IMG]

Wet sanded mating surfaces
    [​IMG]

Finished product, added inline fuel filter
    [​IMG]

11. elGato

elGato Member

Also, replaced the starter solenoid, fixing the issue with not turning the starter.

When installed the starter, I broke a bolt, and luckily was able to extract it. With new bolts on the way, we can see if this helps resolve the dreaded starter clutch issue!

12. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

13. elGato

elGato Member

Yes! I did replaced the innards.

I'm not exactly sure about what airbox clamp you are talking about.
    Could you point it out?

And the carbs do need some cleaning up...

14. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Where the rubber boot from the airbox goes on the carb, I don't see a clamp between the ridges in the rubber. Unless it's just a fuzzy pic but it doesn't look like there's a clamp there...

[​IMG]

15. elGato

elGato Member

Yep!
    That is there, it's just filthy like everything else.

Also, had a minor setback replacing the starter, I broke the short bolt. I was able to extract it, so two new bolts are ordered an on the way!

16. elGato

elGato Member

Made good progress today.

After setbacks from breaking the short bolt in the starter motor, I have the new starter in. It works well, and makes a lot less of that "bag of rocks" noise. However, this does not seem to be the total fix for the starter clutch. Once the bike was warmed up and then shut off for 30 minutes, it still slipped. :p

Although, it's not as bad as before. Maybe another oil change and a new battery will help?

17. elGato

elGato Member

Also-

I had to idle up the idle adjustment screw after running it today. I think this may be related to the rebuilt petcock. Perhaps it is letting more fuel flow now?

I remember idling down at the beginning of last summer.

18. elGato

elGato Member

Got some restoration progress done today. I wanted to see how well aluminum shines up, so I tested this out on the trim pieces under the passenger seat. My sissy bar covers most of it, so it was a fitting start.

Big thanks to BigFitz for his write up on this!
    Found here: http://www.xjbikes.com/Forums/viewtopic ... t=clr.html

Before:
    [​IMG]

Close up damage:
    [​IMG]

Close up damage II:
    [​IMG]

After hours of hard work:
    [​IMG]

Still need to paint the black stripe in once it is not so cold outside:
    [​IMG]

And Finally:
    [​IMG]

What do you think? Comments or Criticism.

-Gato

19. wizard

wizard Active Member

If I was going to be a bitch, I would say you could have come down to maybe 1500 / 2000 grit before polishing, nice job.