1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Cam chain, is it time?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by KrS14, Mar 31, 2014.

1. KrS14

KrS14 Active Member

Pulled the auto adjuster yesterday, it's all moving fine. I'll see if I can get through the season and maybe change the cam chain out next winter.

2. wizard

wizard Active Member

Maybe change the auto for a manual adjuster, you can give them a bit more of a shove.

3. 750E-II_29Rbloke

750E-II_29Rbloke Active Member

Common mod on early '80s Hondas that one. IIRC the auto-tensioner could be changed to manual by "gutting" it, drilling & tapping a thread and fitting a suitable bolt/locknut in place of the spring/plunger. Might be workable to quieten the chain for the season...

4. KrS14

KrS14 Active Member

Learned a hard lesson on gasket making today. Had the girl all back together hoping some high tack would be ok for the gasket. No go oil leak. So I took it all apart and made a new gasket from a couple layers of coke box cardboard.

The lesson learned, is don't forget the area where the bolts go through. Didn't think of it at the time, but the space with no gasket under bolts tend to make the unit break when you tighten it up :(

*sigh* another order to Len submitted, and a 3 week wait for parts :(

5. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

For as critical the job is, having a QUALITY Chain-breaking Tool, is a big plus.

It might be a good idea to have our family get one and send it along to each member who needs to do the task.