1. Some members were not receiving emails sent from XJbikes.com. For example: "Forgot your password?" function to reset your password would not send email to some members. I believe this has been resolved now. Please use "Contact Us" form (see page footer link) if you still have email issues. SnoSheriff

    Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Clutch Basket Ahhhh!

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by swifterthanu, May 1, 2014.

  1. swifterthanu

    swifterthanu New Member

    Messages:
    10
    Likes Received:
    1
    Trophy Points:
    3
    Location:
    Grande Cache, AB
    Hey all,
    New to the forums, recently bought a bunch of parts from chacal, planning to completely rebuild the clutch and get a bunch of other stuff done on my bike as well.
    Pulled my clutch apart today and after I got the clutch boss out to replace the primary drive plate, I noticed hairline cracking on my clutch basket. And not just a couple here and there, there is cracking all over the back of this basket. What do you guys think? Is it reusable? What would have caused this? When I was riding last season the clutch operated normally without any chattering or abnormalities besides it slipping in the higher rpms.
    Thanks for any advice given

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]
     
  2. Polock

    Polock Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    9,751
    Likes Received:
    2,101
    Trophy Points:
    113
    Location:
    Beaver Falls, PA
    are you sure those are really cracks? they look like casting marks to me
     
  3. swifterthanu

    swifterthanu New Member

    Messages:
    10
    Likes Received:
    1
    Trophy Points:
    3
    Location:
    Grande Cache, AB
    I'm pretty sure they are cracks, When I run my fingernail over them it catches in the cracks. After a second look though I suppose they aren't that bad. There is no cracking in the dogs, it's just near those posts that mount the basket to the primary driven gear. I was just wondering if anyone knew wheather I could ride it with it like this or not... I think I might but if this is a serious issue then I won't.
     
  4. bigfitz52

    bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

    Messages:
    21,283
    Likes Received:
    420
    Trophy Points:
    83
    Location:
    Rural SE Michigan 60 miles N of Motown
    Your fingernail would catch on those little lines that run around on castings too. Flush with brake cleaner and find a magnifying glass. If they truly are cracks, you might consider replacing the basket.
     
  5. Polock

    Polock Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    9,751
    Likes Received:
    2,101
    Trophy Points:
    113
    Location:
    Beaver Falls, PA
    here's what to do. get a thin colored liquid, like food coloring/ rubbing alcohol
    (50/50 mix) just a few drops or some Kroil. and something in a spray can that comes out powder, we used to use Desonex foot spray, anything that is a powder and dries on contact.
    now spray your part down real good with brake cleaner and let it dry real good, this gets the oil out of the crack if it's there.
    now put your colored liquid on the crack, scrub it in, wipe it off and spray your powder on it.
    if it's a crack it should show right up as the powder leaches the colored liquid out of the crack.
    or buy this
    http://www.magnaflux.com/Products/Liqui ... (Spotcheck)/SpotcheckKits/SK416Kit/tabid/84/Default.aspx
     

Share This Page