1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Is it the Pods?

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by jpcville, May 9, 2014.

1. jpcville

jpcville New Member

I bought a 1981 Seca 750 in the Fall, rebuilt the carbs but couldn't get it put back together with the air box. My friend suggested putting ppd filters on instead which we did. Then I took it to the local shop to get properly synced. The bike starts fine, idles fine but can be a struggle starting off in first gear (especially on a hill). It also really lugs in the lower rpm's but opens up in the higher rpm's. Will rejecting the carbs help the low end issues?

Putting the air box back is not an option. I would have my local shop install the new jet kit and do the tuning. It would probably cost $400 to $500 for the kit and labor.

Thoughts or advice

Thx

JP

2. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

Don't pay somebody a lot of money to get your bike tuned to run Pods.

Search the forums.
    Read the remarks.

The consensus is that it is quite a daunting task to achieve a state of fine tuning when Pods are use to replace the airbox.

3. midnightmoose

midnightmoose Member

You don't need a shop to change the jets for you...Just a screwdriver!!
    As Rick said, do research. The topic has been beat to death around here.
    Several members have had success with them.
    Some have modified the way the pods were attached to the carbs, using the original boots as velocity stacks.
    Whichever way you go, do it yourself so you'll know exactly what you did.
    And it's a great bonding experience with your bike.
    Paying a shop to do it would be like this guy 👇
    [​IMG]

4. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Oh golly.

Were you planning to pay the shop to check and adjust the valves too?

They won't be able to properly set up the carbs (or even have a hope of coming anywhere near close) until the valves are in spec. If they don't know that then they don't know what they're doing (common when it comes to '80s Yamahas.)

Finding another airbox on eBay for $20 and shoehorning it back in there is going to be your most economical solution. PAYING somebody to fight the "pod battle" for you is going to get expensive and unless they truly know their stuff, they'll fail.

What about the complete rebuild on the thirty year old brakes? Once you get it running it needs to stop; and the original braking system seals and rubber components had a recommended lifespan of FOUR years.

5. jpcville

jpcville New Member

Thanks for the feedback.

How do I re-install the air box? Can I re-install it without removing the engine?

Thx

JP

6. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

I believe if you drop the exhaust system and remove the forward engine mounts the motor will pivot forward enough to squeeze it back in (with the carbs and starter removed of course.)

Somebody with a 750 that's done it will need to chime in.