1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Engine on bench locked up - huh ?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by a100man, May 11, 2014.

1. a100man

a100man Well-Known Member

Ok so admittedly it's been a few weeks since i took a look at the radian (600) engine that will hoepfully fit into the XJ550 I have. The last time I looked at it i checked the clearances
    and lifted some of the shims to take a look at their sizes. As i say about 6 weeks ago.

Tonight I decide it's time to pull the head as the machiine had previously been in a 'not too dry barn and I wanted to check the bores etc.. BUT I have been turning it by hand quite easily up til now and recently chucked a few drops of oil down each bore for good measure.

So I follow the procedure in Clymer and remove the tensioner and the go to move no 1to TDC but it won't budge ? Tried it backwards too but nothing in either direction ?? Refitted tensioner (just in case) but still nothing will move

Spark plugs are in and no-one to my knowledge has messed with it since it last turned..
    also nothing obvious jamming the cams which are all that's exposed..

Anyone any ideas or suggestions?

2. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

My first guess would be that the Timing Chain is stacked down at the Crank Sprocket.

Pull-up the Timing Chain removing all slack and see what happens.

3. a100man

Thanks rick.

Slept on it last night and also thought of tight chain. Removed tensioner again and pulled up hard on the chain and got some slack and noticed the tensioner pad popped back into it's tunnel. Removed the top guide and peered (as best as I can with middle-aged eyes) down to
    the crank sprocket. All looks fairly OK - engine still not moving though. Think about removing cam caps anyway..

Cheers

James

4. wizard

wizard Active Member

I'd be more bothered that it would turn easily with the plugs in.

5. a100man

I hear what you're saying - taking the head off was going to be all part of the investigation process..

.. never seems to quite work out like it does in the manual though.. :roll:

6. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

If you still have the Cams in place ("think about removing the cam caps"), ...
    you need to remove BOTH Cams before jacking-over the Crank by hand.

With the Chain removed from the Cams, ... the Valves won't open and close.

You can crash a Piston Crown into an Open Valve moving the Pistons without the Valves closing as they should.

7. a100man

Sure, they'll be no further turning over attempts until both cams are out.

Might just pop the clutch cover off to make sure all's well in there.
    gearbox sprocket shaft turns freely but I'm guessing it was parked up in neutral - engine is all new to me and an attractive upgrade proposition since
    I think it uses the same type of ignition circuit as the 550 (unlike later FJ600s).

Cheers

James

8. a100man

Damn and blast it !!

Got the head off - corrosion seized on 1 maybe 2 pots - bugger. Not quite as 'dry stored' as the P O lead me to believe..

Hopefully only top end affected. Plusgas now sittong in the affected bores. Might bang with a bit of wood in the morning.. 10:30 pm here now. Good night..

JS

9. a100man

Update:-

Unlocked it after a 24 hrs soaking and some rocking on the timing nut. Cleaned up most of the bad bore with scotchbtite pad but some of the harder stuff will need a bit of wet/dry I think. Not lifted the barrels (making the wooden piston holders) yet but I'm guessing a new set of rings will be needed on 'bad' bore.

Pricey though ain't they ? 1 set is almost as much as I paid for the engine 8O !

Also noticed that both the middle cam bearings showed some more wear that the outers (some light scoring) - is this common ? I will polish the with some fine wet/dry and hope for the best I think - bike doesn''t justify huge sums throwing at it.

Cheers

James

10. spinalator

spinalator Member

Good luck, seized engines are truly a bugger!

11. a100man

HI all

Another update..Got the barrels off midweek onlyu to discover that the sitting water had made a 'rough patch ' abou the size of 1/2 one of my weedy little fingers. I 'honed' it with some 320 wet and dry paper but that didn't really deal with it. I'm temtpted to run it as is.

What you reckon ? My bro who races minis tells me that unles it's a race engine just bolt it back up !

PS tried to fift te barrels on my 40 dollar spare engine only to discove rit had some water danger too PLUS a broken con-rod !! This is clearly going to be be one of those projects..