1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Be The Bunny! Safe riding and motorcycle survival thread

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by bigfitz52, Jul 25, 2008.

1. tskaz

tskaz Active Member

BUMP

It's springtime so the talk of safety comes up again

2. whiterabbitwonder

whiterabbitwonder Member

Re: Be The Bunny! Safe riding and motorcycle survival threa

I've spent the last few weeks reading these forums... There is just a lot of great knowledge and experience on here for new and seasoned riders. Mechanically and otherwise.
    So THANK YOU!

Speaking of how experience teaches us some hard lessons...

Last weekend I did the 5 hour run from Victoria BC (on Vancouver Island in Canada) up to Tofino (Long Beach). The last section from Port Alberni west must be the most gnarly section of roaD I've ridden anywhere.
    -pot holes, hairpins at the tops of hills with cliff on one side and rock face on the other.

And memorials all along it for the folks who didn't respect it and drive too fast, cut corners etc.

Naturally it is these gnarly curves that make it especially fun and tempting on a bike.

I saw my life flash before me. I'd say I'm pretty decent with my cornering and generally safe riding. But there was one particular corner (actually a lot of them) where it said max 30km/h when they *should* have said 20km/h. So this right turn corner was at the top of a hill, with rock face on the right, and cliff on the left, I came in just under 30km/h and find light gravel (from the cliff above), and dampness (again from dripping cliff above). I was in one of those deadly between a rock and a hard place situations. Banking in may skid me out on gravel/damp, and uprighting and braking hard will still put me in the apposing traffic's lane (which I couldn't even see because of the hard turn). In that split second, I chose to brake rather than skid. Which made me cross that yellow line.

IF there had been a vehicle going any speed in that lane, I would have been toast either by impact, or sailing over the cliff.

It is a peculiar feeling when you cross the line on your internal judgement gyroscope. Everything looks different now.

I am thankful for that "experience". It replays in my mind all the time. "What would I have done differently?" I keep asking. Well, respect for what I knew was a brutal road, respect for my bike, respect for speed going into a blind corner/situation, respect for the 'unknown'.

Be safe!

~david

3. Stumplifter

Stumplifter Well-Known Member

I have been corresponding with a fellow motorcycle rider, he sent me this - I thought it rather appropriate for this subject:

4. maverickbr77

maverickbr77 Member

Keep track of your group. I posted a few days ago that I was at a crash scene the other day. Turns out the guy that died in the accident was riding with 5 other bikes and it took them 3 hours to return to where he had his crash to look for him, they just caught the last of the accident cleanup. While they couldn't have saved the guy this time if the crash had been less severe they may have.

5. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Shameless bumperoonie; lots of new riders on board all of a sudden.

NEW GUYS: Go back and start at page 1 and read the whole thread. LOTS of good stuff from a whole lot of very experienced riders.

Stay alert out there people; stay alert. Go into "Fighter Pilot" mode; full situational awareness.

6. mtnbikecrazy55

mtnbikecrazy55 Active Member

Bumpidty Spring Bump

7. timotheos

timotheos Member

Thanks for all the good advice. Got my first bike in October, rode it once around town. Going to sign up for one of the training courses at the beginning of June.

I appreciate this site more and more.

8. Myro

Myro Member

if your kickstand safty is removed dont drive off with your kick stand down it doesnt end well *rubs knee* not well at all

9. adrian1

adrian1 Active Member

Thinking of re-installing our safety switch are we? :)

10. johnnyx

johnnyx Member

Not sure if this was mentioned yet-but one of my riding rules is never ride if you are tired or fatigued-its just a bad as driving after drinking-when your tired your reaction time is slower and you dont think as clearly as you should-i never ride when tired its just not good-i also dont drive after even one drink-also i always slow down at intersections and drive as though the cagers are out to get me all the time-also anyone can drive fast but not everyone can drive safe-stay safe everyone and we will all get to ride longer.

11. osprey1000

osprey1000 Member

So I just read all 18 pages so far and I saw no mention of one other major thing that is a hazard to us on our rides. Let's talk metal grate or "singing" bridges. I know some places they are a lot more prevalent than others but a quick story.

When I bought my XJ last year I had ridden before on the dirt and because I saw the street as a big jump I took the MSF Course. Which even though it can be expensive I would tell anyone getting a bike that it is worth every penny... anyway, The day I passed the MSF I drove over to my local DMV and got my licence. The VERY NEXT day I wanted to ride to work. On my ride in one of the roads that I take everyday was closed for a bridge that needed work. This took me on a detour that took me onto 1) roads I did not know. and 2) roads that possessed major hazards to a bike.

One of those roads was just tarred and graveled, a popular road treatment here in upstate NY where they put down tar on the road and then put down about 4 inches of loose gravel over it and wait a few weeks for the cars to mix the two before clearing the loose stuff off. So I was travelling down a road that was covered with about 4 inches of the loose stuff. Then on the same road was a lovely metal grate bridge going over our Erie canal. This was was a single lane bridge about 1000ft long that was metal grate. This led to 2 problems.

1) getting a bike over metal grate. This is a challenge and should be avoided if possible. If not though. Remember to slow down. The stuff will throw you faster than a major league fastball and even at slow speed can make you really nervous.

2) Single Lane Bridges... I was about 3/4 of the way over when I noticed that oncoming traffic had not noticed I was on the bridge and was coming straight for me. Needless to say the only thing to do at that point was try and get to one side to let them pass. I was certainly not in a position on that kind of a bridge to stop and force them to back up off the bridge.

Moral of the story, know your roads. If you use your bike to commute, have several other routes planned out in case your local government decides that road work is necessary and closes your primary route. As well as that know how your roads are maintained. If there is a time of the year that the roads are under constant maintenance you may want to question taking your ride that relies on you maintaining balance.

Also I cannot stress enough the gear. Many have said it, I will too. I have been riding on the street for all of 6 months and alot of that was winter when I was not riding. Absolutely NOTHING when put up next to the likes of fitz who has doing this as long as my parents have been on the planet but I have seen too many people who have not worn their gear. Just remember that statistics don't lie. Most of us will have some sort of accident in our first year. How bad that accident is depends on what you are wearing.

Personally I am a civil war re-enactor. After the 150th manassas re-enactment where it was 127 degrees in the shade and we were in an open field with 4 layers of wool on and 50+ pounds of gear, motorcycle gear is nothing. Man up and wear it. Companies would not produce it if it did not offer protection, It is not that fashionable.

Ok rant over.

-Stephen

12. JPaganel

JPaganel Well-Known Member

There was one of those right by my house.

They exploded it and built a new concrete one in it's place. Concrete has grooves in it. Better, but still annoying...

13. adrian1

adrian1 Active Member

I was on a charity ride with 3000 others on the weekend. Sadly 3 riders never came home. The lady that died at Wyndham was tail end charley of a small group on their way to the rally. The group didn't miss her until they arrived some 50 kms later. The police found her body the next morning. A timely reminder if you are second last keep an eye on your buddy behind you...as for the other incident, i passed the scene shortly after the poor devil had run off the road to avoid foxes....a sobering reminder to be alert at all times.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-11-04/t ... ts/5067128

14. ahernandez74

ahernandez74 New Member

Such good points made. Especially with the seasons and autumn leaves all over the road. It's definitely smart to ride with some gear. It'll go a long way in preventing roadrash. Very interesting part about the civil war reenactor. :p

Also, whn its chilly, don't ride at full throttle yet, your tires can get cold and slip out. Also, ride defensively. I had my friend let me drive his Ferrari a while ago. He said that I drove it like a scarity cat afraid that everyone was gonna hit me. That's the truth, ride like that.
    If you need a cheap cool jacket, check this one out http://www.motorcyclehouse.ca/vikingcyc ... or-men.htm

15. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Hey I didn't have my first accident until my second year, and then it wasn't my bike and boy was I in trouble.

In regard to metal grate bridges: they still worry me and I've been over a whole lot of them over the years; including being forced to use the metal-deck side of the Mackinac bridge, in the rain, two up on a fully packed bike with a good 25mph gale blowing through the straits. Not an experience I'd care to repeat.

The only thing more fun is perpetually wet, dirty, greasy metal auto ferry (boat) ramps. Sometimes they're diamond plate. Can I get a "woo-hoo?"

Since we're talking metal grate bridges; save me reading back through 18 pages of my own thread-- have we talked about railroad tracks? Especially multiple tracks, with poorly maintained roadway between them crossing the road at an oblique angle? In the wet?

What I'm getting at is that you need to try to cross rails at as close to 90 degrees as possible. Often that means swinging to one side of your lane (or the whole road) so that you can cut back to the other side and "square up" your crossing of the rails as much as possible. The worse condition the crossing is in the more important it is.

Oh, and I'm an "all the gear, all the time" kinda guy too. It keeps me from commuting sometimes; when it's 98 degrees out, I take the VW. Stop and go traffic in an armored jacket and helmet when it's pushing 100 in the shade can be more than just uncomfortable. But that's a whole other discussion and it falls under "know your limits." Ever puke inside a full-face helmet?

16. 750E-II_29Rbloke

750E-II_29Rbloke Active Member

Was that the "skipping down the road on your butt" incident off the Trumpet? 8O

And I'm sure it's been mentioned but just in case, the first rain on the roads after a long dry spell always makes things extra perilous. Partly because of the buildup of rubber/traffic gunk/diesel that gets lifted by the water & partly because you've just had a long time to forget how slippery wet roads are at the best of times.

17. midnightmoose

midnightmoose Member

Being that the riding season is among us again, I thought I'd bump this thread for new riders/members and throw a few reminders out there:

Watch for buildup of stones/cinders on roads,especially in corners.
    Cagers are less likely to notice motorcycles this time of year because they aren't "looking" for them.
    Make yourself as visible as possible. I ride with my high beam on during the day and I wear a Hi-Viz yellow helmet.
    Cooler road temperatures mean less grip from the tires, especially before getting them warmed up.
    And most importantly...ATGATT!!

Here's wishing everyone a safe riding season!!!

18. Gunbunny

Gunbunny Member

Looking back on the last 18 pages, It looks like everyone got pretty much 99% of the bases covered.

However, here's something that appeals to people in my age group:

I started riding at 18, and am currently 22. My first road bike was/is my 1200 Sportster. Big mistake. Even though I've ridden mopeds, dirtbikes, minibikes, etc. for a majority of my life, I still started out on a bike that was just too big for me (of which I can ride safely now, but starting out was a hassle & outwardly dangerous).

A friend of mine who shall remain nameless got a Yamaha R6 upon getting his motorcycle license (daddy was rich & bought it for him). He dumped the bike the first day on the road, totaled the bike, & even worse, got hurt pretty badly. He had to have a fast bike though just to be cool, just like I had to have my Harley which was WAY too heavy & torquey for a beginner in the first place.

So, to all guys/gals that are about my age, don't feel like you have to get the biggest or baddest bike as your first. Nobody thinks it's uncool to start off on a smaller, less powerful bike. Anyone that thinks it's dumb to start off on a small bike is merely an asswipe who gets off on seeing people get hurt.

Same with wearing headgear. Wear the damn helmet. Nobody will think you're cool when you crack your noggin open and are lying in a hospital bed as a vegetable. Or, if you're lucky, you'll just die on scene if it's bad enough. Wear your helmet because shit happens, no matter how good you are.

Drive defensively EVERYWHERE. I can't tell you how many near-misses I've found myself in the middle of because some tw@t can't put down the cup of coffee & cell phone for 30 consecutive seconds. Keep your head on a friggin' SWIVEL!

Stunts on public roads aren't cool either, wheelies & shit don't impress me. When I see every prick on a sportbike or enduro pulling wheelies left & right, I envision a massive accident happening, especially in the middle of traffic. I think someone who can ride safely is a hell of a lot cooler than the jackoff that plays dumb games & wins even dumber prizes. Nothing saying that you can't yank the throttle wide open once in awhile for a good time, but do it SAFELY.

So again, I've been riding on the road about 4yrs. now. These are all things I've had to learn the hard way. I'm in no way, shape, or form an expert rider, but again, learn from my mistakes if not anyone else's if you're about my age & looking into getting a bike.

First & last concerns are safety, bar none. Not just for yourself, but for everyone around you too.

19. Stumplifter

Stumplifter Well-Known Member

Bump.

Had a close call Sunday morning.
    I wear a 'construction' hi-viz vest over my leather jacket and my black helmet has a 7" wide red triangle on the front and a 3" diameter yellow sticker on the back. Plenty of contrasting colors to get attention.

Someone started to pull in front of me from a side street. I locked up the brakes and he must have heard the squeal. Fortunately he did stop - if not I would have most likely contacted him - all be it at a relatively slow speed.

Point being even though he was the inattentive one; in retrospect I could have done more to have lessened the pucker factor of that event.

Situational awareness and swivel head is huge! I also (believe it was from here) have gotten into the habit of watching the front tires/ rims of automobiles to get a 'jump' on their intent, as was the case this past Sunday - trying to make eye contact with the tinted windows these days is pert near impossible.

And no - I don't tell my wife when these things happen . . . 8O

20. tskaz

tskaz Active Member

I ride like every car wants to run me over dead...even the parked ones.

I don't think to myself "Is that @55hole going to pull out in front of me?"
    Instead I think "That @55hole IS going to pull out in front of me."

Don't ride to close to the back of a semi (Lorry to you Brits) either.
    1) The driver doesn't know you're there.
    2) The driver going the other way is in a hurry and wants to pass the car in front of him at your earliest inconvenience. Had it happen twice so far, even though I'm always at least 150' behind rigs.

Took the gravel shoulder both times...thank God for all those years of riding extremely fast on dirt/sand/clay.