1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

brake and clutch issues... Almost done with build

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by 83midnightmaxim, Jun 5, 2014.

1. 83midnightmaxim

83midnightmaxim Member

well guys rebuilt the starter and got bike running again but i now have two problems. The first is i think my discs are on the wrong side of the wheel as they make a grinding noise upon rolling. Looking at the bike while on it the disc labeled R is on the right side of the wheel and the left is on the left side labeled L. Not sure if left and right are supposed to be determined by looking at bike from front view or while on bike any help on this would be great. Second issue regards the clutch which i have adjusted numerous times and the bike wont shift into neutral at all. Taking a test drive it required almost full clutch release to move and even then almost stalled and bogged down severely. It also seems like the shifter is stuck as it will only move up and down into maybe 1 gear. Any ideas on these two issues would be greatly appreciated guys and I wanted to say thanks a million for all the help during my build over the last month or so I wouldnt have been able to do it without you guys! Will post pics soon if requested as well : )

2. tskaz

tskaz Active Member

The bike is just like a human body. Facing front (sitting on bike) left is left and right is right. In short, yes, they're on the wrong sides.

More background on the clutch:
    Replace cable?
    Replace any of the plates?
    Pull it off and make sure the plates are not warped?

3. 83midnightmaxim

83midnightmaxim Member

cable is an oem brand new no frails in it at all its lubed up as well properly. As for clutch plates i havent checked but I know before i started taking the bike apart and changing gaskets it was working fine. I did take the shifter cover off to change the three stripped bolts on the case inside there but put the gasket back on and put the cover back on. I just filled it up with oil id hate to drain it all out again but im guessing thats what it will come to i bet dang... But would it possibly be something i messed with inside the shifter cover causing this? Or just something simple on cable again would you assume? thanks

4. rocs82650

rocs82650 Well-Known Member

Sounds like the clutch is not getting full throw out. Do not drain the oil. Remove the cable from the perch and swing arm. Remove the swing arm from the spline. Rotate the spline cw as far as it will go. Replace swing arm (align the mark on the clutch cover with indent mark on swing arm). Connect cable in swing arm. Locate cable adjustment in perch. Hope this helps.

Gary

5. 83midnightmaxim

83midnightmaxim Member

Oh okay ill try that when i get off of work here later i wonder what made it come to this though i never touched the adjustments lol oh well ill try it though hopefully it will work i did try to take the swingarm ou after removing the c clip it only moved like a quarter of an inch in either direction and wouldnt click into the next position so i just put c clip back on i will try again though how much effort is needed to take spline out and rotate it clockwise? I couldnt pull it out by hand after removing the c clip is why im asking or turn it either direction for that matter.

6. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

With the little activating lever off, you should be able to rotate the throwout shaft by hand about a half a turn each way. Rotate it clockwise (when viewed from above) until it stops. At that point the throwout "pullrod" will be pulled up against the back of the pressure plate, which is the "starting point" for the little lever to pull from.

7. 83midnightmaxim

83midnightmaxim Member

Okay hmm if i remember though it wouldnt turn that far unless it barely moves mine only moved about a quarter or less of a turn either way if i remember correctly after removing the cable, c clip and sqingarm piece that fits over the shaft that holds the cable in place.

8. rocs82650

rocs82650 Well-Known Member

I don't know why. Hmmm, you might try removing the cover and re-positioning the throw out rod on the shaft (keep the alignment marks close to each other).

Gary

9. 83midnightmaxim

83midnightmaxim Member

Okay ill have to drain the oil and get another gasket i guess also correct?

10. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

NO.

If the bike is on the sidestand you can remove the clutch cover and only lose a few drops of oil, if that. Not recommended to do any serious work while on the sidestand but you can do a quick clutch cover remove/replace.

That being said, you shouldn't need to remove the cover to reposition anything. As above; remove the little lever and spring, turn the shaft CW until it stops, and re-install the lever at it's "starting position." Maybe back it up one spline tooth.

You do need to drain the oil if removing the shifter cover (left side.)

11. 83midnightmaxim

83midnightmaxim Member

Oh okay thanks alot ill try that again when i get home there isnt any reason the spline shaft shouldnt turn after removing the spring and all correct? Does it have to be in any certain gear or the ignition on to do? Thanks

12. tskaz

tskaz Active Member

Nope. Engine off, bike in neutral.

If you can't turn the shaft at all then you may need to put it on the sidestand and remove the cover, but after removing the lever and spring you should be able to turn it clockwise.

13. 83midnightmaxim

83midnightmaxim Member

Okay thanks only problem is i cant put bike in neutral is one of yhe clutch problems along with power loss as ive described above.