1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

FZ6 brakes on a XJ550?

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by rbrinkman, Mar 20, 2013.

1. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

matching for tube diameters only means that the fork tubes will fit in opposite bikes.

THAT does not take into account whether the wheel axle is behind, in-line, or in front of, the center line of the forks. That will alter whatever the steering geometry is, if it's different, or if the fork length is different........

I don't think it will fit on the 750 seca, as I believe the 750 has larger diameter tubes............but then again, I didn't go check the chart--just going by what I remember seeing.

But then again, if you change the triple clamp (as long as you get the right bearings to match the spindle diameter, and the land diameter) you'd probably be good to go...... though you still have to consider the steering geometry (trail?)

dave f

2. rbrinkman

rbrinkman New Member

Hi all, thanks for your replies!
    I never changed the brakes in the end, a friend of mine refurbished the calipers instead.

Cheers,
    Rogier.

3. fatnfast

fatnfast Member

I must admit my calipers are good enough for the xj550 after a rebuild. If you have second thoughts then NK Racing in the UK can help.

Linky: http://www.nkracing.co.uk/n3.html

The adaptor brackets for the Yam RD350LC will fit straight on and you could use the awesome bluespot calipers.

4. SteelMan

SteelMan Member

FatnFast do you happen to know what adapters would work with a XJ750? I have been following this thread out of curiosity because I have a swap I want to do on my Xj750 seca. Would love to get some better calipers on my bike.

5. fatnfast

fatnfast Member

If your calipers are identical to the xj550 ones then NK Racing can provide you with a pair of adaptors. You just need to ask for a pair of brackets for a Yamaha rd350lc. Have a look at his site and decide what calipers you want to use. Yam R1 bluespots are a common choice over here.
    Both the xj550 and rd350lc share the same standard Yam calipers and discs :) .
    I know the XJ750 also uses these calipers dependant on year/model.

6. SteelMan

SteelMan Member

I believe they are, I started a new thread for my questions so I didn't completely hi jack this one. :)

Thanks man!