1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Potential Brake Conversion

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by SteelMan, Jun 20, 2014.

1. SteelMan

SteelMan Member

I've been looking into the possibility of upgrading my 1983 yamaha seca 750. After reading another thread I was looking into getting some adapting brackets from here and I was wondering what brakes I should convert to. In another thread on here it was said that the R1 blue conversions are popular, which would be these ones?

If I were to do this I would also get a new handle bar mounted master cylinder, but use the exhisting brake line splitters and replace the brake lines.

Also would the stopping power I gain from these be significantly better? Also my calipers are a little beat up so I figured this was a good option compared to getting new ones. Opinions on this would be greatly appreciated. Also I am new to this so if I am missing anything obvious please call me on it.

Thanks everyone!

Mike

2. fatnfast

fatnfast Member

Mike,

The calipers you link to look like the radial mounted type. These : http://www.ebay.com/itm/99-to-04-R6-06- ... _25wt_1238

are what a lot of Yam LC owners would use over here. The stopping power would be greatly improved. You would need to figure in a suitable master cylinder. That should be easy to do as the Yam LC bars are really just a black painted version of the XJ550 with the same bends etc (is your 750 the same?).

Its well work dropping NK Racing an email. Nigel is very knowledgeable about these conversions.

Hope this helps,
    Phil

3. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

The factory Seca 750 bars are very different, but suitable bars are an easy swap to make.

4. SteelMan

SteelMan Member

Phil it does help very much! Guess I just need to find out how much those adapter brackets cost now. I dropped them a email earlier this morning and I am eagerly awaiting a reply. I would be very happy if I got this conversion done :)

K-moe I really like the way the bars sit right now, would it be easier just to find a master cylinder that would fit my bars?

Thanks,
    Mike

5. SteelMan

SteelMan Member

Ouch! Brake brackets would set me back 150 big ones.

6. zap2504

zap2504 Member

The OEM brake splitter for the 750 Seca is exclusive to that model as it has a hard line from the master to the splitter. You can replace the splitter with one that has all 10mm banjo fittings but can't use the OEM with a banjo MC unless you get an adapter hose from Len.

7. SteelMan

SteelMan Member

This is a lot to think about with this conversion. At that price it might be better investment wise in the bike to just replace my MC and brake lines then call it a day. What sparked this is I believe my MC is having issues.

8. SteelMan

SteelMan Member

After considering the price just to get the calipers and the brackets, unless there is a cheaper way to upgrade to better calipers I think I am going to avoid doing it, unless I end up keeping this bike for a long time. Where I am stuck now is I want to get a new master cylinder as the one behind the front fairing is not releasing pressure properly, and its in a poor location anyways.

I'm thinking one of these, then running a brake line back to the line splitter. There I believe I will either need some way to adapt, or I will need to re-tap the opening for a banjo bolt.

I just thought though, I could get a double banjo bolt for the splitter, put the line from the new MC to that, and just plug where the stock MC hooks up?

Thoughts?