1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Drunken greasemonkey strikes again!!(Starting issues)

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Roger3955, Jun 21, 2014.

1. Roger3955

Roger3955 New Member

As embarassing as it is to admit, I need help, so I'll tell the tale.

I have a two 82 maxim 650's and I love to tinker. One runs perfect and the other I picked up recently and am trying to get it going. I learn as I go and really know little about the electrical side of things. So I'll check the dead bike, then check on my good one to see what's "supposed to" happen.
    So having an example to compare things side by side was working well. But I spent the evening playing in the garage and drinking and should have probably stopped both. :oops: Long story short, Now my good bike wont start and I can't remember what I did, or figure out any logical reason for it's troubles.

So I'm hoping if I relate the parts I remember someone out there can piece it together to tell me what I may have screwed up!
    I took the side cover off my bike and turned it only bout 1/2 a turn to see what that felt like(Because the other bike wouldn't budge and I wanted to feel how much pressure it "should" take to turn it). Once I got the other bike broke loose I moved on to plugs. It wasn't getting spark at all with 4 new plugs and I did try it on my bike too to see if I was doing it right(pulled a cap off and put a good plug in and crank with it resting on the motor) At that point my bike was still doing fine.
    Since I was getting no spark at all on the other I started trying to figure out how to test the coils. Didn't pull anything out, just trying to figure out whilch wires to check. (Too much vodka at this point to make much sense of it.) I don't think I messed with any of the wiring on my good bike, but I did pull the seat and tank off so I must have been comparing.

So let's just get the not so helpful reprimands and insults out of the way....Yes, I'm a stupid girl. Yes, I am aware that I should not drink and tear bikes apart alone. Now, Please help me!

Now my bike won't even try to start. Ive tested the battery, it's good. Tried bypassing the solenoid with a screwdriver.nothing. Doesn't spark or turn the motor or anything. Tested the solenoid for power and it's getting it. Checked the starter by clipping a positive lead to the wire that goes in and a negative lead to the battery's negative. No volts with key on and 14 when you hit the start button. That's what's supposed to happen, right? I've checked and rechecked for any connections I may have unplugged and I can't see any reason for it. kickstand up, in nuetral, both switches on, just clicks at the solenoid when you push the start button. Nothing else.
    Please help!

2. rocs82650

rocs82650 Well-Known Member

I was thinking another member would have replied by now. Imo you being a woman has nothing to do with this post. We're all members with a common denominator; xj bikes. You should go back over everything you think you may have done before the vodka took over and started working on the bikes. There is a format we use to begin a resto. Manually turn the engine a couple complete rotations then do a compression test. Get the valves in spec and re-do the compression test. Hope this helps.

Gary

3. peganit2

peganit2 Member

Not sure if you tried hooking a battery directly to the starter's positive post and a chassis ground. (curcumventing all other curcuits) If that doesn't crank it over, the starter needs some attention.

It may be just a coincidence that it happened while you where tinkering with it, and feeling good.

Sounds like you have a good head on your shoulders other than.... 8)

4. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

"Tried bypassing the solenoid with a screwdriver.nothing."
    that's pretty much impossible.
    the battery's hooked up, the starter's hooked up, the kill switch is on, or off.
    i prefer rum myself

5. peganit2

peganit2 Member

Yes, Captain!

6. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

it's not a camp fire till you can see it from space, lol

7. Roger3955

Roger3955 New Member

Thank you all for the posts. I just got back from a nice ride and thought I'd let ya'll know it was the starter. Had Starter problems before. and had to devise my own way to fix it. The plastic piece that insulates the positive as it goes through the casing was broken. Today I pulled it and swapped it with the starter from the dead bike. Fifteen minutes and ready to go again.:)
    Back home now and tearing into the dead one to see if I can figure out why. It's a lot oily-er in there than I remember. Is that bad? Any advice for rebuilding starters??

8. Xjrider92117

Xjrider92117 Active Member

9. rocs82650

rocs82650 Well-Known Member

There's a excellent write-up for rebuilding starters in FAQ. Rum is also a excellent choice.

Gary

10. tskaz

tskaz Active Member

Thanks, all, for the kind words.

I'll have to get with Schmuck and have him edit a note about the bolt needing to be insulated. You're not the first person to have this problem.

If you would like The more detailed version, head on over to XJbikes.com and download the pdf.

11. Dedbolt

Dedbolt New Member

Roger, glad to hear you got it going! I've been known to have some beers or vodka working on my trucks and bikes as well :D . Rum is good also. Heck, I think there's a law stating that you have to have a few beers while doing any "mechanicking" lol

12. peganit2

peganit2 Member

And if it isn't, it damn well should be!

13. peganit2

peganit2 Member

rider that starter is, um, well preserved.

14. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Roger,

did you check to see if the KILL switch is set to ON?

Did you have it in NEUTRAL?

Is it on the center stand or side stand?

Did you check the sidestand safety switch?

Try those, and let us know.

We'll help you figure it out.

Dave Fox

15. peganit2

peganit2 Member

Roger already figured it out hog. It was the insulator on the positive terminal of the starter. Cracked.

16. bmarzka

bmarzka Active Member

A woman that works on bikes AND drinks vodka. I gotta meet you. Hell, I might adopt you.
    I checked out your gallery. Your little helper is cute. It's always best to start them young.

17. peganit2

peganit2 Member

And She knows what she's doing!

18. welditup

welditup New Member

If there any electrical Schematics on 83' 750 Maxims on here?