1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Newbie from New Hampshire

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by NHTodd, Jun 22, 2014.

1. NHTodd

NHTodd New Member

Hello all I'm Todd from Hudson New Hampshire. OK I joined the forum because hopefully soon I'll be the proud owner of a 83 XJ900RK. Stumbled on to this gem from one of my buddies from work. His dad had it covered in the garage for the last twenty years or so. She's in pristine condition with 6743 original miles on her from when he bought it new just needs some minor restoration new tires carbs cleaned battery the regular stuff and of course the dreaded tank fix as I've learned seems to be the norm with these bikes. Now what both him and I are trying to figure out is an agreeable price as both of us dunno what it would be worth. I'm thinking somewhere bout a grand beings I've got to put about 4 to 5 hundred into her to make it road worthy and back to her former glory. Any help here would be greatly appreciated. Tryin to stay on the cheap side as I don't have a whole bunch of money but don't want to insult him.
    Todd

2. Stumplifter

Stumplifter Well-Known Member

Hi Todd,
    Welcome to the camp.
    Sounds like a good opportunity.
    You must also rebuild front and rear brake systems.
    Check engine compression, that may be the biggest indicator of what price would be fair. Look in the air box and mufflers to see if any critters took up residence.
    I would venture to guess you may need to invest twice as much as you predicted to make the bike reliable and safe. Not a bad investment at all.

There are people here that are much more skilled than me that can guide you in pricing and restoration tips.

Post a pic or two so we can drool over your 'garage find'.

3. NHTodd

NHTodd New Member

Thanks Stump. Yeah I figured I'd have to redo the brakes as well. As far as critters no worries there as he regularly takes it out and washes it. He parked when his son was born (the one I work with). Will definitely post pics when I get some.

4. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

You're a half-hour away from World Headquarters.

9 Stafford Lane
    Billerica MA 01821

5. bmarzka

bmarzka Active Member

Todd, hop on your Schwinn if you have to and go see this man. He is one of the XJ Gods. When Rick speaks, you listen.

Good to hear from you, Rick.

6. NHTodd

NHTodd New Member

Wow didn't know you were outta Billerica used to live in Tewksbury and went to Billerica all the time very cool. Once I figure out how much to pay for the Seca and get it up and running I'll gladly bring it by.

7. NHTodd

NHTodd New Member

Here's a pic taken two weeks ago