1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by Stumplifter, Jul 6, 2014.

1. Stumplifter

Stumplifter Well-Known Member

Bright copper kettles and warm woolen mittens. . .

Yes that is a quote from the Sound of Music - My Favorite Things.
    According to the lyrics, when you have things go bad and you feel sad, you think of your favorite things, and then life isn't so bad . . . .

Did my colortune yesterday and re synched. It was a quick two beer project. But since I had two beers I did not go for a test ride. Got up early this morning, bike fired up nicely, idled like a purring kitten and I was off to test that 'power band'.

Stopped for gas, cruised by the local bakery to see if they were open. Rocket Baby has the absolute best bread in town! They weren't open yet so I started to head east to the lakefront to have a Sunday morning cruise. Two blocks into heading east and an ambulance approaches; I slow down and pull to the side; pulled in the clutch lever and POP!

Cable snapped right at the barrel on the hand lever. Oddly enough about two months ago I reset free play and did (what I thought was) a thorough inspection and lube. Did not see any fraying. I guess 33 year old cables don't have to look bad . . .

PM'd Len, getting throttle and choke cables also.

Bad part is:
    Putting home in first gear (luckily traffic was light and I wasn't too far from home.
    Having to transfer $$$ into Paypal (that will be the longest wait ever!)
    Putting off doing the follow up colortune. (If I am not mistaken, the colortune should be done again after a second ride to verify settings).

Not being able to ride makes me blue. :cry:

2. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

on the bright side, you didn't drop it or lurch into traffic.
    this is when you do those things you've been putting off.
    drain the float bowls, catch the gas, see if any junk comes out.
    get some "mop-n-glo" floor wax and a damp rag, wipe it on the black part of your wheels, good for a year
    take off the tank, lift the seat and dust that stuff off. give it a wipe down with lemon pledge.
    that should keep you busy till your cable comes

3. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Order two cables. Zip tie the spare next to the active cable. Seal the ends of the spare with friction tape or shrink-wrap so it doesn't get contaminated during storage. Enjoy the beauty of swapping to your spare cable in less than 5 minutes.

4. Kickaha

Kickaha Active Member Premium Member

You need to learn how to change gear without using the clutch,there was no need to stay in first

5. patmac6075

patmac6075 Active Member

I feel for you brother....
    Last Fall I was riding home from a friends lake house...was a half hour back or an hour home...I choose home...got pretty good at using the throttle to shift. I seem to remember upshifting was pretty painless, but downshifting took some skill. Red lights were a pain in the a$$...seemed like everybody was looking at me as I popped it into first, and my bike bucked like a bronco...
    All's well that end's well
    Welcome to the Clutchless Club!

6. Stumplifter

Stumplifter Well-Known Member

What is the clutch less shift technique?

I figure I buy one cable today and will be good for another 33 years . . . :?

7. tskaz

tskaz Active Member

You have to match engine RPMs to tranny speed.

Usually done on an upshift as you roll off the throttle, quickly grabbing a gear, then back on the throttle.

Downshifting is a little trickier, you have to go up in engine speed as you step down a gear, has to be done quickly, and you want to blip the throttle, not roll it on steadily, because you are going up in engine rpm (=up in HP) and changing to a lower gear so there is less room for error than when upshifting without a clutch.

It's not recommended to use it all the time, but it does get you by in a pinch, be it on a bike or in a car. (it's happened to me often enough in cars that I've gotten pretty good at it over the last 30 years)

8. RonWagner

RonWagner Member

It is rather easy and non-damaging to the transmission once you learn the technique. Back when I drove truck I never used the clutch except for starting out and some gears with a long throw. The same went for my dirt bikes. I always use the clutch on my XJ's. It seems the transmissions are tight and it would be wise to use the clutch. Maybe on my next outing I will try some clutchless shifts.