1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Saddlebags and trunk

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by piccaroon, Jul 9, 2014.

1. piccaroon

piccaroon New Member

Does anyone have saddlebags on their XJ's? I have a plastic trunk that broke apart Sunday after I hit a deep pot-hole at speed. I'm thinking a new and bigger trunk and also saddlebags to keep jackets and rain gear stowed away.
    I measured the area for saddlebags and realized there isn't much room for a decent sized bag. Now what?

2. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Get yourself a waterproof roll bag.

3. midnightmoose

midnightmoose Member

Many members have bags on their bikes, some even with a full fairing in front.
    I got these to mount on my Midnight Maxim when it's finished:
    [​IMG]

I also use a tank bag for personal items and such. It also doubles as something to lay on while riding long stretches.

4. bmarzka

bmarzka Active Member

What bike do you have? I have bags on my 700. They were the smallest ones I could find. There's not much room between the shocks and turn signals. Plus the exhaust is upswept. I suppose I could use larger bags if I relocated the signals and put on straight aftermarket pipes. But I don't feel the need since I just use it to tootle around.
    Beside, I trying to convince my wife I need a second bike for touring. An FJ1200 perhaps?

5. GEHIV

GEHIV Member

Tough to find them for the XJ's, I got a set on my bike with photo's in my gallery.

6. k-moe

The turn signals have to be relocated in order to mount saddlebags. Yamaha had brackets that came with the tour pack for that purpose, but brackets are pretty easy to make if you can't find the OEM set.

You might also look at a loop style saddlebag if you want to carry a bit more gear and keep the weight low. http://giantloopmoto.com/products/great-basin-saddlebag/

This is the bag that I use to supplement my top case when I'm traveling.
    http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/58419/i/nelson-rigg-adventure-dry-bag

It is perfectly watertight, and carrys all that I need for a week. If I'm gone longer I just plan on doing laundry.

If you are set on having hard bags then you'll need to either score the tour pack for a 750 (It should fit the 650 frame if that is what you have (I have half of one after searching for three years)), or modify the brackets from a newer bike.
    Link to one idea: http://xjbikes.com/Forums/viewtopic/t=37129/postdays=0/postorder=asc/highlight=hard%20cases/start=0.html

The only other option is to go full DYI and make your own mounting system along with modifying a waterproof case from Seahorse or Pelican (or go old-school and use ammo cans).

Search results here, because there is no best thread on ADVRider for this topic: https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=DYI+side+cases+site:advrider.com&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

The only company that I know of that is currently making a rack for mounting bags to an XJ is Hepco and Becker, and you will not like the price for it.

http://www.moto24.co.uk/hepco-becker-complete-rack-yamaha-xj-750-seca.html

7. piccaroon

piccaroon New Member

8. BluesBass

BluesBass Member

I have a full Vetter tour package that was on my XJ650 Maxim: Vetter Windjammer IV with lowers and windshield, Vetter saddle bags, Vetter trunk, saddle bag mounts and trunk cargo tray.
    [​IMG]

I took it all off and have no intention of putting it back on. It does require you to relocate the turn signals in the rear and remove the front ones (which get replaced by the integrated signals in the fairing). I made extensions for the rear turn signal wiring to prevent having to modify the bike's wiring harness.

The fairing mount had to be modified to fit my XJ650, and I ended up having to modify the frame slightly on my 650 but everything fits securely. The rear luggage rack and saddle bag mounts also required some modifications but overall weren't that difficult to mount.

I successfully rode two-up with about 100lbs of gear in/on the luggage including camping gear (sleeping bags, tent, fishing gear, etc) without any problems. The added weight did change the handling of the bike some, but overall the bike was still absolutely rideable. The fairing shifted the COG forward and up, so turns at lower speeds made the bike feel less sporty.

I see you are in NJ, so if you are interested in the kit I have PM me.

9. piccaroon

piccaroon New Member

Bike looks good. I have the XJ 750 Maxim and there's only about 12"'s to work with. I'm in the market for a new trunk but I guess I'll pass on saddlebags.

10. k-moe

Have another look at the 650 posted above. It has exactly the same frame as your 750 (assuming that you didn't bob it). You may be asking yourself, "how do the saddlebags fit when the turn signals are in the way?" The answer is that the signals have to be relocated, which is a fairly easy task. Yamaha provided brackets and wiring for that purpose with the factory tour pack. Brackets do come up on E-Bay from time to time, but it is not difficult to make similar brackets at home. It is also possible to adapt brackets from another motorcycle. Many bikes of the era had a similar method of attaching their touring luggage (so did the aftermarket providers, as shown above), and also required bracketry in order to relocate the turn signals.

There is a rear turnsignal relocation bracket on E-Bay now (not mine)http://www.ebay.com/itm/81-YAMAHA-XJ750-XJ-750-SECA-REAR-TURN-SIGNAL-BRACKET-4343-/351087837107?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item51be773fb3&vxp=mtr
    It came off of a Seca, but is no different than the bracket for the Maxim.

11. TIMEtoRIDE

TIMEtoRIDE Active Member

12. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Except the turn signal bracket for the Seca is completely different. The Seca bracket is what is on eBay. The relocating bracket for the black Yamaha saddlebags is different. Each saddlebag is on a quick release mount, and the turnsignal mount is a small bracket, one for each side and is mind of like an abstract dog bone shape. If you need to see the difference, I'll send you a close up.

The set that blues has is vetter stuff and will easily fit the 750. I've also seen his stuff and it's a real nice set of luggage.

Dave f

13. adrian1

adrian1 Active Member

14. TIMEtoRIDE

TIMEtoRIDE Active Member

15. Studeman

Studeman Member

I have the Factory Yamaha "Tour Deluxe Package" on my '83. Just finished installing them after having removed them 2 years ago to paint them. They had some cracks and scratches, and the burgundy paint I did in 1993 was starting to lose the clear coat. I figured after riding her for 27 years... it was time for a different color...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

But, to answer your question a bit more- There are many saddlebags available online. The fiberglass ones are of better quality, but the ABS can be strengthened with ABS cement and Fiberglass cloth in the mounting areas. I did this when I added bags to my VTX 1300R. These are just "temporary" until I find or make a set I like.
    These are just imported "Cheapies" I bought on Amazon for $127 for all 3 bags.

[​IMG]

16. Metal_Bob

Metal_Bob Active Member

My "vetter-ize" 750 Maxim with the trunk mounted on that older style back rest assembly that I found separately.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. quebecois59

quebecois59 Well-Known Member

I had similar fairing, saddle bags and trunk on my '79 Goldwing. They look bigger on your Maxim, though.

18. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Would have been the same equipment. It looks bigger on the maxim because the maxim is smaller bike.

19. quebecois59

quebecois59 Well-Known Member

This is exactly my point!

20. Metal_Bob

Metal_Bob Active Member

Well I have a 94 Goldwing now, so I'm not sure what I'm going to do with the Vetter package once I put the Maxim back together... I really do like the storage and fairing!