1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

xj550 - time to bling her up a little

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by fatnfast, Jul 16, 2014.

1. fatnfast

fatnfast Member

Just had all four carb tops rechromed, footrest hangers polished, footpeg metal work chromed and petrol cap cover chromed. :D
    All done by the same guy who polished up my original xj550 around 30 years ago. His 'mates rates' have gone up a little, it cost me $50 8O
    I also added a rear grab rail that came from Germany that I think looks nice.
    The original wheels had flacky black paint, so ebay provided a pair of really nice original wheels for less than $100. The rear even came with a new Bridgestone BT45.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next up is a new 2-4 seat that I have spotted, a nice new chrome exhaust and some engine bars. :D
    The plan is to make her just like my original xj. Nostalgia is a powerful thing!

[​IMG]

2. BleedingOxide

BleedingOxide Member

$50 chroming.. and $100 for a set of wheels.
    .. I need you to buy some stuff on my behalf :D ..

Beautiful looking bike

3. fatnfast

fatnfast Member

Thanks, she's getting there. I was lucky with the wheels. The rear was on ebay locally, but the guy wouldn't post it which meant zero bids. Got that for UK pounds 40. The front wheel is the same as those used on the XV750 Custom style Yam. These tend to have an easier life and nobody is restoring them, so managed to get it for 30 pounds delivered!

4. a100man

a100man Well-Known Member

Hey guess what - I'm trying to put together a 550 like I had 30 years ago. Mine old one was red though I this is black - well sort of - rusty black if you know what I mean..

I think I saw that grab rail in Germany - the guy breaking a bike right - even asked about it !

Good luck

J

5. fatnfast

fatnfast Member

Cheers J. Yes, thats was the grab rail! It wasnt cheap, 40 euros I think. I have another full grab rail from the XJ400 as well, so if you ever need one let me know.
    Germany is a good source of spares, the 550 seems far more popular.
    France ebay is also good, theres a clean but dented tank on there for around 25pounds.

6. a100man

Thanks for the tip - will take a look at ebay.fr. Could be quite a while before get to taking pillions though.. most of mine is still in boxes, as I bought it..

Cheers

James

7. fatnfast

fatnfast Member

Good luck with it James.
    If you need a copy of the workshop manual or UK parts list on CD let me know and Ill run a couple of copys off.
    Phil

8. a100man

Yes please. I had a few hours this afternoon to try and piece some more of it together and came across two issues:-

A) rear wheel spindle appears too long such that split pin hole doesn't line up with castles on the nut !! everything else fitted quite snugly so I don't think I left anything out..

B) Not sure if I'm using the right spacer on the front wheel. It was in a box of stuff and it kind of looks right but again the spindle appears too long.

Clymer only shows the US single disc set-ups..

I'll post teh pics on XJChat for general comment..

Cheers

james

9. fatnfast

fatnfast Member

pm me your email and ill see if I can send them as a pdf. In case that doesnt work, let me have your address and ill copy them to cd. :D

Over the years Yamaha do change parts very slightly (different suppliers etc) but still use the same number. The front axle on my LC has two washers to overcome the same problem you have and all the parts were new from Yamaha.