1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Another TCI thread...

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by a100man, Sep 16, 2014.

1. a100man

a100man Well-Known Member

HI All

I'm in the process of adapting the wiring on teh XJ550 to fit the Radian TID14-48 TCI. Now interestingly they both have 6 and 4 terminal connectors
    but their posistions are swapped (TID14-48 has six pins on teh right).

The pick-up connector (from Radian engine) fits neatly into to the four terminal connector on the left so the coil drives must be on the right, right ?

If so is the convention with these things that it is inputs on the left and outputs on the right irrespective of the number of terminals ?

Cheers

James

2. a100man

OK, I've cross referenced a number of wiring diagrams (although a UK XJ550 diagram is nowhere to be found :? ) and I think that my guess is correct.

In this case I will need to plug the XJ550 four pin coil feeds into the six pin connection of the YX600 (Radian)TCI - shifting the four way connector to the left also aligns the colours nicely the remaining terminal (Black laced white in Radian diag) can be shorted to GND as I have no sidestand switch - not fitted on UK.

Fingers crossed we get a spark !

Cheers

j

3. fatnfast

fatnfast Member

Why are you using a YX600 TCI? Just curious.

4. a100man

To go with the YX600 engine.. :wink:

Long version is that I bought it on ebay as an XJ600 engine, but it turns out it slightly different, luckily I picked up teh ignitor for about a tenner (although it's not tested yet..). Being the early 600 style it has the separate alternator etc.. making it more like the 550.

Next problem will be fitting the (32mm) carbs I reckon.

5. fatnfast

fatnfast Member

ohhh, that will go well! If you get stuck with the wiring I have the UK model wiring diagram. Picked up a genuine yam workshop manual of fleabay for a fiver :)