1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Wanted Fuel tank, '82 XJ650RJ Seca

Discussion in 'For Sale, Trade/Swap, Wanted' started by gpzmotoman, Oct 1, 2014.

1. gpzmotoman

gpzmotoman New Member

Hi. "Newbie" here. Am in great need of a fuel tank for an '82 XJ650RJ Seca. It's the silver one with glue-on badges and blue/white decals. Having a devil of a time repairing present one due to the characteristics of the metallic paint, badges and decals. Would love to find a pristine used one. Even if you don't have one I'd really appreciate any leads you can offer. TIA, Fred in Portland, OR

2. ecologito

ecologito Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum. If you are looking for a pristine gas tank you are going to have to pay a pretty penny if you are able to find one. Because the xj650 seca was only sold in 1982 in the US parts unique to this model can be hard to find, some almost impossible.

You will have a better chance looking for a tank in good shape, you can always buy the paint, decals and badges for it.

I do have a spare tank with a dent but is solid.

Best wishes.

3. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Yeah, seconding that. Took me a year and a half to find a decent one that didn't cost too much..... $150.00 and I was lucky ----

4. gpzmotoman

gpzmotoman New Member

Thx "ecologito" and "hogfiddles". Yes, I am finding out how difficult it is but gotta keep trying.
    "hog": where did you finally find one? Was it a private party with just one or a boneyard that might have another? $150 is RELATIVELY cheap!
    "eco": A dent would be a worse problem. It all started with 3 deep scratches. Paint with metallic particles is not easy to fix. Fixing the paint with badges and decals on, that's the B^*#@*H. Can feel it in my bones - if I try to get the badges off I'll make things worse. Why couldn't they have screwed them on like other models???
    Anybody else out there with a lead?

5. hogfiddles

I found mine from a private person in Canada........ It took a long period of waiting/watching/asking.....

dave f

6. B Dawg

B Dawg New Member

I recently bought a 1983 XJ 900 and after a nasty monsoon here last week I cant get spark and to top it off when I went to my local junkyard they informed me that the ignition box (CDI??) is going to be dam near impossible to locate. I also have a rust problem with my fuel tank but some well placed JB weld seems to have stopped the bleeding for now. Are parts really going to be difficult to find for this bike?

7. hogfiddles

The 900 was available in the US for only a few months, but was available to the rest of the world for awhile.

Parts are available, but limited to that model and to the 750rl (Canada only). Parts are not the cheapest out there, so expect to drop some $ to get them. A GOOD tank will run you close to 3 bills or more....

I do have a few extra 900 parts, so if you're close to NY, I MIGHT be able to help you---- I'm rebuilding several of them, so I need to be careful of which parts I can let go though.....

Dave

8. gpzmotoman

gpzmotoman New Member

B Dawg: I lusted mightily for the XJ900 when it first appeared here. If I remember correctly, in my search for an XJ650RJ tank, I saw a couple of 900 tanks on eBay. Don't remember condition since I was ticked off that there were more tanks available for a different one year US model than mine. As for your tank leak there are at least 2 inner coating products out there. If you go that route, follow directions TO THE LETTER.
    Can anyone out there tell B Dawg if a more common model's ign. box is interchangeable?
    Fred

9. B Dawg

B Dawg New Member

Thanks for the comments, suggestions, and general knowledge! I knew it was an uphill battle but it still is nice to have found this page and all of you who have way more of an idea than I do! I was told the black box is no longer manufactured and that each year is unique to that bike so I will have to keep searching... If I would have known the rareness of the model I would have thought twice before buying it but at $600 and the way it ran... I couldn't help myself! I will continue to read the posts and hopefully I will come up with some stuff that will be of assistance to one of you some day, Peace and thanks again! Oh, I could really use a new Gauge box, bought a after market speedo just so I knew how fast I wasn't going! ;)

10. hogfiddles

The only tanks that are the same are xj900rk, the xj750rl (Canada), and the xj750e-II ( Great Britain ).

If you got a 900rk for $600, that's a great steal!! Don't be unhappy, you got a good deal. Now it's just a search to get the right parts.

Last, if you are I. The USA, could you PLEASE contact me? I am the registrar for XJ900rk Seca Database (USA-Delivered) and would like to get yours registered.... Currently there are about 70 logged... PM me for details---- no cost whatsoever.
    Dave Fox

Dave Fox

Last edited: Oct 6, 2014
  11. ecologito

Just because you asked, not my box nor do I know the seller:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1983-YAMAHA...Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a8b21b724&vxp=mtr

12. gpzmotoman

gpzmotoman New Member

So, back to the search for an '82 XJ650RJ tank (not XJ900 :^) ). Well my friends, the nightmare continues. Got reply but . . . $549.95 (probably + shipping) for a tank with rusted scratches, no emblems, no cap and no petcock. Am considering a finder's fee for a successful lead. Please, quickly before I choose between overdose or gunshot to the head. BTW: saw craigs ad for '82 XJ550 Seca - tank in foto looked a lot like the 650 Seca. Anybody know if it's a swap????

13. ecologito

nope, the 550 and the 650 secas are different.

14. gpzmotoman

gpzmotoman New Member

Grrrr. That pushes me closer to the edge. BUT THX "ecologito" for the info and since you have both those models you've got to know what you're talkin' about.
    Obviously, y'all, I'm counting on you.

15. hogfiddles

BDawg.... I edited my post above .... Please scroll back up and read it

16. ecologito

Best wishes, like I said for you to find a tank in pristine condition it is going to be nearly impossible or you will have to pay a pretty penny for it (prettier than your entire bike).

I am about to ship a gas tank that has one dent but is rock solid (the one I offered on the first post of this thread), and maybe another one heading my way. If you are interested let me know and will let you know when it gets here.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2014
  17. gpzmotoman

gpzmotoman New Member

You bet I'm interested.

18. gang3

gang3 Member

I Noticed you live in Portland I have a extra tank I live in Milwaukie Just south of Portland, The tank is not pristine by any measure I got it cheap started repairing it then took a break ,Its Extra tank I thought I would just have it around. But if you need it , That would be a good use in my opinion. But it needs work. Mostly a liner kit and a paint job. No badges but the areas where they hook on have been smoothly patched. No Cap. Like I said it needs work. But if you are crafty its not a too hard of a fix. Or you could take it to a body shop, Or buy the parts and I Could do it. What ever thought i would offer to a
    local xj `er just send me a message if you are interested.

19. Quixote

Quixote Active Member

If you decide to repair your old tank, there are lots of creative options that will cost less than a pristine new tank. I used vinyl wrap on mine and I like the results, others have gotten great results with good quality spray paints and clear coats. Another good option that others have recommended in the past is to take it to a technical college in your area - students will often do the work for cheap as part of their training. A bike that needs repair is just an opportunity to learn a new skill!

Those stick on badges come off easy with a little heat from a hair dryer or heat gun. If they don't peal off easily even when you heat them up, use a piece of strong cotton thread to 'saw' them off. They are stuck on with double sided tape. Generally you can get them off easily and use new tape to put them back on when you are done. I think you can even get brand new ones from Chacal if yours are looking tired.

20. ecologito

Are you still looking for a tank? I have an extra one coming my way that could spare if you are still looking