1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

vandalized my bike

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by joshs700n, Jun 22, 2015.

1. joshs700n

joshs700n Member

someone ripped my left sparkplug wire and cap right out of the coil on my xj700n i took the cover off and i dont know how to put a new wire in is there anyway to put a new wire in or do i need a new coil

2. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

You cn replace the wire if you are willing to do a little surgery. The wires are mounded into the coils during manufacturing. You will need to use a Dremel or other rotary tool to cut back the coil housing around the wire post. You can then screw in a new wire and cover it with epoxy to secure it to the coil.

Here is a post from Rick describing the process a little better.

3. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

the sheer idiocy and disregard that some some people exhibit still astounds me........ and I fail to see just what they could possibly be able to use a ripped-out sparkplug cable for-----they sure aren't going to quickly fix their bike with it!!!!! DER---

If you can't find a replacement, or be able to repair it, let me know......I might have an extra coil around----

Dave

4. k-moe

The "person" was (likely high, and) probably trying to get the sparkplug out so it could be broken and used to break a car window.

5. joshs700n

joshs700n Member

alright im being pretty vague i know exactly who it is my next door neighbor.. him and his wife were in the road washing the car and after i passed i went into first gear and hit it for a second to 6-7k rpm. as i pulled up i see him walking over he told me if i did it again that there will be a problem so yesterday i did it again and smoked my rear tire too. this morning my car tires were cut as my wire was yanked out

6. joshs700n

joshs700n Member

so why is it the inner plug caps are longer than the outer? can i use a long one on the outer spark plug or do i need a short one?

7. hogfiddles

That also goes for people who have no regard for their neighbors

Granted, it it bothered then that much, they could have simply said, "Hey, we really don't like when you do that right next to us.... Would you mind holding off on making the extra noise if we're outside? thanks, appreciate it".

And YOU could have simply said, "Sure, no prob... Didnt realize I was offending you." Then comply.

But, they took the nasty/threatening way of saying that. Oh well, some people are like that.

YOU, however, took the "I ain't takin' no $h!T from nobody!!!!" way of replying. Oh, well- you got what was coming to ya.

Unless you have video to prove they did it you're stuck with an case of bad timing. Wow, YOU made someone really mad. They made a nasty comment. YOU intentionally pi$$ed them off. And then, to top it off... Wow, dumb-luck timing---- somebody vandalized your bike. Sucks. Oh, well. Guess you gotta fix it.

Nope, don't have any coils or covers around.

Good luck finding your parts. Maybe you'll think twice abound being obnoxious toward your neighbors while you're trying to fix your bike.

Do you feel there's no more sympathy here? Good... At least you are feeling that much-- now start trying to feel how your own neighbors feel.

8. hogfiddles

So they can reach farther out

9. Beekman

Beekman XJ Grasshopper

Wow, Im actually in awe someone would do that. You piss me off by being loud so im going to one-up (more like three-up) you by cutting your tires? Since when did being annoyed become cause for intentional property damage, especially when it becomes a safety concern like when you cut someones tires... I guess at least he didnt shoot at you

tinnian likes this.
  10. BaldWonder

BaldWonder Innocent Bystander

I'm trying to wrap my head around the idea of a personality type that finds noise to be an issue but apparent trespassing and outright vandalism is just fine. My preconceived notions of a vandal is that of a person more likely to join in the noise-making than complain about it. My world is shattering around me.

tinnian likes this.
  11. k-moe

Let me tell you the story about a former neighbor of mine who would regualrty show up at the back door in his underwear and threaten to, "Blow that damned car up with a bazooka if the alarm ever goes off again!" Nevermind that the alarm had gone off because somebody had attempted to break into the car on three seperate occasions over the course of two weeks. There are all sorts of people in the world, and when they are neignbors you have to make some effort to keep the peace. Polite discussion usually does the trick. After a long talk (starting with an apology about the noise) I found that he was a vet, and suffered from PTSD. He apologised for overreacting and we came to a mutual understanding. Things were much calmer in the neighborhood after that.

12. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

this probably won't end well no matter what.
    But here's how you win, go get a blender at the second hand store, get some rubber gloves, find a patch of poison ivy, put it in the blender with enough water to make it runny. now think windshield or door handles, drivers seat is real good but the best is his dog if he has one.
    then move, quickly

jmilliken, nickbrit16 and BaldWonder like this.
  13. BaldWonder

BaldWonder Innocent Bystander

Here at XJBikes we have all the answers.

14. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

Ummm, you probably don't live in one of our famous big-city-slash-slums (and I'm NOT talking about just the poor areas, either, them "priveileged" folks are even worse)?

Welcome to the reservation........

15. Beekman

Beekman XJ Grasshopper

Nope, I don't, and never will. My closest neighbour is a kilometer away and I plan to keep it that way.

Maybe things are different in small town Canada, I'm probably just naïve ;)

16. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

The name of your town should be changed to Nirvana.......

Beekman likes this.
  17. hogfiddles

Well..... People who have been to the CNYCC know how few houses are are here, too.....

jmilliken likes this.
  18. Ross1bd

Ross1bd Member

Sorry folks, CNY could as easily be Central Carolina. Thoughtless actions fueled by anger can happen anywhere.
    Whether your neighbor lives 20 feet or a km. away. Of course, I have a 150 lb. Great Pyrenees (imagine a cross between a Polar Bear and a big dog) who likes people until they get too close to family or the car (his mobile crate). I'm trying to teach him to feel that way about the SECA, may have to rig a sidecar to get there, though.

Getting back on message, the Dyno coils I received from Len have my 750 running the best than it has in the five years that I've owned it.
    I bought the coils with the wires installed. Talk about Plug and Play (once I figured out that I'd accidentally grounded the starter wire under the bolt for the coils.)
    NO WAY I could have done that sweet a job. Plus, he made the deal too good to pass up.
    Anyway, that's my thought on a sorry situation.

19. hogfiddles

I've seen Ross's dog.... Yep-that's a goooood description.... It's BIG

DAVE F

20. Ribo

Ribo Prefectionist

Austin Texas USA ( a long way from the UK )
    Pretty f***ing childish behavior all round to be frank. If it were me I would go over there with a 6 pack and say "f*** this shit man - I'm sorry for what I did, I don't expect you to own it but let's just put it behind us eh? What do you say?". I've seen shit like this escalate way too fast man - it's not worth it.

Also man, the way I see it is when you're riding a bike you're representing everyone else that rides. Other people that don't ride motorcycles see us all the same. If you piss some guy off on your bike the chances are it's going to change his view of all bikers - so next time he has a chance to move over or help another biker pull out what do you think he's going to do?

I've seen others bikers run off the road by road-raged idiots because of something some other idiot on a bike did to them.