1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Long road ahead

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by Lokitruck, Mar 25, 2015.

1. Daithi

Daithi Member

Sure I have 49,000 miles on my Kawa ZRX and its like brand new in every way. I know lots of guys, and I mean lots, with 60-100,000 miles on their bikes, all running perfectly with just regular servicing. There are a few guys in the Classic Japanese owners club over here that have more than 100k miles on their bikes, and its not considered any kind of a big deal. One guy had 212k miles on his bike when I met him about a year ago.

2. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Uh, the quote was regarding a bike......I understand cars and truck getting that kind of mileage. but, um, 500,000 mi on a bike-----

3. Daithi

Daithi Member

Why ever not ??? An FJ1200 for example , with its car like engine ( Low revving, understressed, simple design ) can easily do 200k miles for example, without any trouble at all. Its all down to the owner and servicing. I admit that 500k is exceptional, especially for a air cooled motor, but it had one good owner from new, and was never ridden hard and had its oil changed regularly. I know at least five guys personally here in Ireland with more than 100k miles on their bikes, and they think nothing of it al all. One guy well over 200k miles and not missing a beat. Highest I have heard over here was around 300k, so 500k , though amazing , is entirely possible. If an ancient car can go over one million miles, then a well designed bike engine can do 500k. Saw it with my own eyes, so I know its correct.

4. Ross1bd

Ross1bd Member

"Honestly my dad is turning 60 this year and i think he just wants to see if he still has it in him if you guys know what i mean."

Tell me. What do you mean?!! Oh, turning "60" eh? Over the hill and coasting?

I'm kidding, but only a little.
    Watch those ageist comments. I'm sure that I'm not the oldest rooster in this coop, anyway. Pretty sure that we have more miles, more beers, more.. well, let's not go there, but I'm sure that we've had more and are still going strong.

5. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

I dunno about more beers... I am Canadian, and have been drinking the stuff since I was five. No kidding, it's one of my earliest memories. I also got Segram's Five Star whiskey with sugar as a cough medicine. Not sure if it helped the cough, but I slept like the dead! Try getting away with that kind of parenting nowadays!

6. GEHIV

GEHIV Member

I rode the Blue Ridge multiple times with the Seca. No issues with carbs at higher elevations. 500 miles is cake, I had multiple 1500 mile trips. Enjoy time with Dad, mine is almost 70 and it's not as easy to get him to go riding as it used to be.