1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Curses and blasphemy

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by pygmy_goat_, Aug 22, 2015.

1. pygmy_goat_

pygmy_goat_ Member

It's what came out of my mouth when I did this.

Just spend a lot of time making these carbs perfect. I've done my carbs before but I suspected there were some things I could improve. They were pretty clean, but I made them cleaner, fixed a couple of rust issues and re-set the float heights, which were not very good. Then, I decided I would take some pictures...

aaaaaand dropped them on the concrete. #1 engine side got dented in a little bit---but it wasn't broken. The breaking was accomplished by my trying to bend it back into roundness.

Can I get some thoughts on how to proceed? Don't worry, I've already done the palm-into-forehead operation. Yes, I am an idiot. For at least two reasons.

Take a look at the photos; here are my thoughts. Epoxy? Silver solder? New carb body? What seems like the best operation to all you folks? Otherwise, I think the carb is in good shape, and I'd hate to start over with another one...but I will if I have to.

:(

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Strip the carb body (soldering will take enough heat the the throttle shaft seals will get damaged). Drill a small hole at the end of the crack to keep it from spreading, then solder it and the crack (be sure to use flux and solder that is meant for aluminum). Save your pennies for a spare rack, and inspect the crack annualy.

This link will help you pick a solder and understand the process for making the repair. https://app.aws.org/wj/2004/02/046/

OR. you could just drill the hole, clean the throat really well, and seal it up with a fuel-resistant epoxy. It won't look as good, and may not last as long, but it will be easier to do. Keep th epoxy on the outside of the carb throat in case it flakes off. Any flakes will be trapped between the body and the intake boot.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2015
  3. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

go get some "seals-all" at the auto parts store. wipe some on the outside, nice and thin. let it dry and put it back on the bike, then forget it happened and have a beer.

4. wizard

wizard Active Member

5. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

Or do the epoxy fix as a temporary repair. Then a "new" carb body (or maybe a full rack if the price is good, everybody needs spares) and make it a winter project to replace... gotta do something when the white stuff flies!

Luis likes this.
  6. pygmy_goat_

pygmy_goat_ Member

Hey guys,

Thanks for the responses. I spent way too long researching epoxies and stuff, and I know I can get the Al solder kit and do it that way, but even that has its own problems. I guess what I'll do is use JB Weld marine ("fuel resistant"), keep an eye on it, and also have a beer. How's that for a composite of everyone's advice?

I'll put up a pic when I'm done.

Cheers and thanks.

7. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

i've tried to use that aluminum rod a few times and had zero success. sometimes the part just melted and other times it looked really good, then fell apart. i guess i ain't a welder :(

8. k-moe

It's not you, it's the material. That brazing rod (it's really a solder) is pretty much crap, but with enough practice a person can do a decent job at making cosmetic repairs.

9. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

10. pygmy_goat_

pygmy_goat_ Member

Here's what I did. Dressed as carefully as I could. Could not get it completely round, but it's pretty close. I didn't want to crack it again.
    [​IMG]

Drilled it out so that the epoxy had somewhere to go:
    [​IMG]

Filled:
    [​IMG]

Filed and sanded smooth, finishing with 1000-grit:
    [​IMG]

Here's hoping it lasts a good, long time. Onward!

Thanks, all.

Stumplifter likes this.
  11. k-moe

I hope it lasts a long time too. I didn't see a through-hole at the end of the crack. Did you not drill one to keep the crack from propagating?

12. pygmy_goat_

pygmy_goat_ Member

No I didn't go all the way through, almost. Went from the top until I saw intact metal. Didn't want to leave a slug of epoxy that could fall through.

Of course now I am reconsidering. The crack is due to stress from the impact and bending, not from normal use, so I wouldn't really expect it to move. On the other hand, the drill hole would probably stop it...

13. quebecois59

quebecois59 Well-Known Member

If you ever need to buy a spare rack I have one I don't need anymore. I bought it as is on ebay when I owned a 1983 Maxim 750, which I sold last year. It has no floats, no bowls, no needle neither main jets.

Attached Files:

14. pygmy_goat_

pygmy_goat_ Member

Thanks! I'm sure you already know, but I just looked up the carbs, and I guess it also uses the HSC33 carbs. I might be interested! Send me a PM...I don't have a job right now so funds are tight, but maybe when I get re-employed...

15. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

you do nice work, butterfingers :)

Stumplifter and BigT like this.
  16. k-moe

If you got down to uncracked metal it should be OK. The remainder of where it has cracked all the way through might spread, but the epoxy should reduce the likelihood of that happening.

17. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

Not dropping it again would also help that...:D

Stumplifter and Luis like this.
  18. pygmy_goat_

pygmy_goat_ Member

Right?!

:#

Thanks for all the help friends!