1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

1983 XJ750K Dyna Coil Install

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by MN-Maxims, Aug 16, 2015.

1. MN-Maxims

MN-Maxims St. Paul Minnesota

Today I'm working on replacing the factory coils to the 3 ohm Green Dyna Coils with the mounting kit sold by xj4ever. Total time to install was less than two hours.
    As always the quality of the mounting kit was right on complete with relay relocation tab.
    Installing the new coils is a tight fit but went very smoothly.
    Next on the list is to replace rear brake shoes and brake lines up front. More pictures to come

Attached Files:

rocs82650 likes this.
  2. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

took me more than two hours to make those little brackets. nice job

3. MN-Maxims

I was reading Len's description of his mount kit installation instructions and decided that for the price of the mounting kit upgrade was the way to go. Once I cut the mounting tab for the relay off the frame and bolted the Adaptors to the new coils and the relay relocation bracket on the left coil. The relay sits at an angle just above the horns.
    It all just went together like a factory installation. I will say the spark is nice and blue and the primary wires already installed on the coils so it was just plug and play. I just reused my original caps and pushed them on the plugs.

4. MN-Maxims

Was working no the bike today. I started thinking about the resistance on the primary side. The old coils spec 2.7 ohms the new ones spec at 3.0 ohms. The TCI doesn't have to take as much load with 0.3 ohms less so it is easier on the TCI in theory ?
    In any case it starts easy and runs just fine.
    Working on the brake lines it turns out the lower lines were flip flopped in the packages. Once those were sorted out the upper line to the MC was replaced out with the proper one. So brakes are ready for new fluid and bleeding. Rear brakes replaced.
    New fuse box installed, wires re-routed, need to check seat clearance. New tires and balanced with the Harbor Freight Balancer.
    Should be ready for a test ride tomorrow.

5. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

in theory, yes but +/- 10% maybe yes maybe no. Then you could also say less power is going in so less power comes out.
    best not to think about it at all :)

6. Ross1bd

Ross1bd Member

After putting the Dyna coils in the 750 SECA starts beautifully (when cold) and runs like a smooth dream.
    Their fee to install the spark plug wires was totally worth it! What a beautiful job.
    This machine has starter clutch problems. The new coils did make that problem somewhat better.
    I still need to pop the cases and replace the clutch , but it is easier to get going (once warm), than it used to be.
    Len is the man, installation kit couldn't have been easier, (course I screwed it up and pinched a starter wire- can't work on machines after dusk), but that was my doing.