1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Looking for new rear shocks (XJ750RH)

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by wrenchmonkey, Nov 3, 2015.

1. wrenchmonkey

wrenchmonkey Member

I'm taking my bike apart this winter so I can paint the frame and swing arm. I'm also thinking about replacing the rear shocks with new units. Please let me know what you think I should consider.

2. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Progressive make a nice set for the 750 Seca.

3. wrenchmonkey

wrenchmonkey Member

I'm thinking progressive would be the way to go too. I just don't know what model. I think the 412 would be a good choice.

4. Bushy

Bushy Active Member

5. Ross1bd

Ross1bd Member

I just put Hagon's on one of my 900's- https://www.davequinnmotorcycles.com/cgi-bin/webc.cgi/Hagon.html Wasn't going to spend BIG bucks, they were approx. $ 220.00
    These guys came highly recommended. He suggested going with a heavier spring (no extra cost) but offered to replace it n/c if I didn't like it and it wasn't scratched. Dollar is strong vs. the pound.
    As a suggestion, since I was rebuilding the front forks and headset, I put Race Tech linear springs in, (Also put new rotors on the front.) Rides like a new machine. Far better than the one with 60% fewer miles, so maybe even better than new. Between the springs and fully rebuilt brakes, stops on a dime.

6. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

if you take the springs off your shocks, work them in and out and don't hear any bubbles, move the adjusters and notice a change and there's no oil leaking, maybe just keep the ones you have.
    unless you're going racing there's not a lot of differance riding down the road

k-moe likes this.
  7. Bushy

Bushy Active Member

Well i beg to differ, I did what you suggested Polock .. no bubbles noises, no leaks, adjusters changed but i wasn't happy with the ride feel so i got the Ikons (made in Aus' ) as well as new progressive fork springs. They were the biggest expense in my rebuild and will last a long time. The ride is much smoother and it handles better.
    But yes if what you've already got works as it should and you're happy with it then don't bother spending the money.

8. eurosnap53

eurosnap53 Member

yay, fresh shocks!

9. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

When I had the originals on I used the #1 setting(least rebound damping ?) And spring on softest preload.
    So I find the progressives harsh. I think I might be a candy ass
    But the originals had bubbles so there is no going back. I do think the progressives are loosening up as the miles go by.

10. wrenchmonkey

wrenchmonkey Member

The shocks are working "fine", but they are getting rusty. That is the main reason I'm thinking of replacing them before next riding season.

11. wrenchmonkey

wrenchmonkey Member

Thanks for all the good info guys.