1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

1981 xj 750

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by maddmick, Nov 23, 2015.

1. maddmick

maddmick New Member

howdy people, new member and first post,
    first up thank you for the site, I have already got a heap of info from here, so again thanks.
    right I have just inherited an old 81 xj 750. someone has had a go at makin it into a bobber, its very rough and dammed ugly lol.
    but it is a great project for me and my son, and its also been his first taste of a bit of power,
    needles to say we've got it running ok and he's done a fair few laps of the yard and driveway.
    anyway, my questions, there are two outlets on the tank fuel tap. what is the little one for and where should it go ?? is there only one feed down to the four carbs ?
    next question,, on the rubber manifolds between the carbs and heads I have ports that have been blanked off on numbers 1 3 and 4, on number two there is a vacuum hose. what should this be connected to . it has a bolt jammed in it at present.
    the wiring is an absolute rats nest , so I would like to cut it all out and start again, any tips on this would be hugely appreciated.
    being a kwacka and Harley kind of guy all my life, I got to say, im enjoying playing with the little Yamaha.
    oh. where the hell do I find the engine capacity on the engine, (eg 749 cc) just to make sure its a 750..
    ok thanks in advance guys, I look forward to reading the replys, cheers mick

2. wizard

wizard Active Member

The hose from vac port 2 goes to the small spigot on the gas tap, sounds like the vac tap has stopped working & someone has done a 'mod' on it. You can check it by connecting a tube to the small spigot & lightly sucking, if it is working gas will flow.

3. maddmick

maddmick New Member

ok ok. I did wonder it it went there, but I couldn't figure out what it would achieve?

4. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

sounds like you have a manual petcock instead of vacuum controled one. you can go to auto parts stors for a cap to replace the hose and bolt.

what settings are shown on the petcock?
    oem petcock should say prime, reserve, and on

get a manual haynes is known to have a few errors in it, you could start a new thread and ask about known errors
    haynes free download
    http://www.manualslib.com/manual/837861/Yamaha-Xj750.html

I would suggest reading the first post in this forum about brakes

a few links for you to consider reading
    first out best supporting vendor
    XJ4Ever - Supporting Vendor at the bottom of this link are some links you should look at

his alt web site

www.xj4ever.com
    check out his how to links

good reading here
    The Information Overload Hour

welcome you will have quite a support group here to help you.

this link will help decode vin
    TECH TOPIC: Model ID and VIN's
    engine size should be stamped on front of cylinders between center two cylinders.
    there should be an inlet connection in rear of carbs between #3 and #4

Last edited: Nov 23, 2015
  5. XJ550H

Last edited: Nov 23, 2015
  6. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Save yourself a lot of time and headaches: buy a used wiring harness on Ebay, or post up in the wanted section.

maddmick and XJ550H like this.
  7. SQLGuy

SQLGuy Well-Known Member

The standard petcock on these (and most similar) bikes is that the On and Res fuel positions allow fuel flow only when vacuum (from the engine intake) is applied to the small port. The idea there is that, in case of a crash, fuel gets shut off when the engine stops... and fuel is also shut off automatically when the bike is parked. This helps prevent carburetor overflow if the float needles aren't sealing well.

maddmick likes this.
  8. XJ550H

unless you plan on doing a minimal wiring harness. even then better to get the ebay harness and remove what you do not want.

maddmick likes this.
  9. SQLGuy

SQLGuy Well-Known Member

BTW, the displacement is on the bottom front of the block.

maddmick likes this.
  10. rocs82650

rocs82650 Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard.

Gary H.

11. Stumplifter

Stumplifter Well-Known Member

Sounds like you know what you are up against (darn PO's!).
    Keep asking questions here, and tell your son how lucky he is to have an Ol' Man like you, buys a project bike and all that . . . good on ya.

maddmick likes this.
  12. wizard

wizard Active Member

sounds like you have a manual petcock instead of vacuum controled one (quote from XJ550H)
    Original post says the tap has 2 spigots, one large one small, sounds like a vac' job to me.

13. maddmick

maddmick New Member

ok, after reading the how to decode your bike information overload, my brain has now completely switched off,
    tho I do know my engine and frame match, however can somebody please decode the numbers for me, they are
    5NI 000740. THANK YOU , MICK

14. XJ550H

MODEL NAME: XJ750
    STREET NAME: 1981 XJ750
    MODEL ID CODE: 5N1
    FRAME ID: 5N1
    SERIAL NUMBER STARTS AT: 000101
    NOTE: styling and features the same as North American XJ750 Seca model, has dual front disc brakes and an oil cooler.

maddmick likes this.
  15. maddmick

maddmick New Member

Howdy guys. Well today i tidyed up the wiring. I set up the headlight. Tail light and stop light off the brake lever and pedal. .
    However the bike is no longer charging. ???????.
    Can anybody send me a simple charge diagram. I have no power coming out of the three main wires from the alt (i guess as the disappear into the engine case).
    Am i just missing a wire to excite the system.
    Other than that she is puring like a kitten. And i actually rode it for a few ks today.
    It even sounds like it goes quite hard . Untill you look at the speedo that is. Lol.
    Ok thanks in advance.
    P/s i do have the minimum wiring diagram for the xj. But im not sure what or where all the components are on the bike to tackle it. And i dont see a provision for blinkers or a tacho. Cheers. Mick

16. maddmick

maddmick New Member

1448535947825.jpg Oh. And just incase you havnt had a chuckle today. Let me present
    "black betty"...........

17. XJ550H

min wiring
    m1csRY7.jpg

haynes free download
    http://www.manualslib.com/manual/837861/Yamaha-Xj750.html

XJ750 UK WIRING DIAGRAM
    http://members.tripod.com/dave_jack/wiringdiag/d9a.jpg
    and
    http://members.tripod.com/dave_jack/wiringdiag/d9b.jpg

Componets Key Guide for all of the above WIRING DIAGRAM
    http://members.tripod.com/dave_jack/wiringdiag/d8.jpg

check your brushes on the alternator there is a wear line on them 11mm is to short 17mm is new
    from info overload
    Checking alternator stators: the resistance across each pair (w1 to w2, w1 to w3, and w2 to w3) of the three white wires (w1, w2, and w3) at the alternator stator lead harness connector, on those three wires LEADING TO THE STATOR, should be as follows:

0.46 ohms +/- 10% for all XJ650, all XJ700, all XJ750, and XJ900RK, RL, N/FN, and F models.

Checking alternator rotors: the resistance across the two lead wires (usually red and green) at the alternator rotor lead harness connector, on those two wire LEADING TO THE ROTOR, should be as follows. Note that worn or damaged alternator brushes can affect these readings, as can "dirty" copper commutator strips on the rotor face (where the brushes contact the rotor):
    4.0 ohms +/- 10% for all XJ650, all XJ700, all XJ750, XJ900RK, RL, N/FN, and F models, and XJ1100 models.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2015
  18. XJ550H

so Mad Maxish, is that electrical tape for the left grip?
    I like the spear heads too, she's a beauty nice red accents

alt diagram.PNG 18 is alt 19 is voltage reg

Last edited: Nov 26, 2015
  19. SQLGuy

SQLGuy Well-Known Member

Power from the three white wires will be AC. Are you checking for AC? Besides the brushes, a common problem with these bikes is bad connections at the plug where the alternator plugs into the rectifier. The connections oxidize, then get hot, an eventually melt the plug and wires a bit.

20. maddmick

maddmick New Member

Ok. I will dig out the multi meter and have a play. Yes the red accents are nice arnt they not. Yes tape for the left hand grip. And a dodgy home made seat.
    The previous owner spared no expense.
    We will get to the paint and cosmetics later. For now i just want it running and charging right. As i said. She is ugly.