1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

New 4 into 1 Exhaust System - Exhaust Gaskets

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by CafeBlack, Dec 10, 2015.

1. CafeBlack

CafeBlack Member

Just acquired a new 4 into 1 exhaust system and have fitted it in mock up form to my XJ900 Cafe project (see attached pic).

Fits nicely thank you with a megaphone exhaust that mounts just fine with one of the added mounting attachments in the kit.

But...with an exhaust gasket fitted in each exhaust port the mounting flange on each header pipe, when bolted in place, still leave some unthreaded part of the exhaust stud exposed; i.e. the retaining bolt on the flange even when screwed all the way down to the end of the thread still leave some play in the flange.

So...could anyone suggest the most suitable solution. I figure there are two ways to go:

1/ Use 2 exhaust gaskets in each port to push out the header pipe and attached flange. Never tried that before. Guess it'd be OK but not sure.

2/ Find suitable number of washers or M6 spacers to build up the space between the nut and base of the flange.

Or a combination of both.

Ant takers? IMG_9107.JPG

2. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

I'd do the washers/spacers. Leave the head/gasket/pipe interface as designed. All you need is a way to clamp it together. Don't over tighten it.

3. quebecois59

quebecois59 Well-Known Member

These discs look awesome!

4. CafeBlack

CafeBlack Member

Yep. Keep the gaskets as nature and Yamaha intended and don't double them up. Check.

Have sourced 10mm spacers to go over the exhaust studs. Just waiting for them to arrive.

Discs are from eBay and at a very reasonable price especially if you buy 3. Cost around AUD$210 including shipping...from Hong Kong to Australia.

Thanks for the feedback. Just needed a second opinion.

5. Ross1bd

Ross1bd Member

Xj4ever recommended doubling up on the gaskets for the four into one exhaust on one of my nines.
    Worked well.

6. CafeBlack

CafeBlack Member

OK. Interesting.

Thanks!