1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Got another yamaha

Discussion in 'Other Motorcycles' started by ElkHavenSeca, Feb 28, 2016.

1. ElkHavenSeca

ElkHavenSeca Active Member

Well after 35 years of being faithful to the seca i bought new, i broke down and bought a 2007 FJR 1300 and i love it. 00G0G_e0vF3NBxNdC_600x450.jpg

Attached Files:

Alan63 likes this.
  2. quebecois59

quebecois59 Well-Known Member

Wow, wow, wow, this is some bike !

3. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

How is the seat? I tried one on and found it to make me slide forward, but I was just sitting on it in the showroom.

4. ElkHavenSeca

I love how it sucks you right up to the tank. It feels like you and the bike are 1. I love the seca and rode it too yesterday and i have 2 more needing restoration. I just want to ride longer range and i have rode a hundred different bikes trying to find the right one. Almost bought the 2014 ninja 1000 with hard bags. Guess i will always like a yamaha , this one is so adjustable from suspension, bars , seat , windshield its a perfect fit

5. k-moe

Cool. It's interesting how different people think of the same bike. I found the seating position on the FJR to be less comfortable than the Seca. I really wanted to like it, but I just can't lean forward for long distances anymore. I did like the legroom though. I guess I already found the right bike (though the Super Tenere' keeps giving me that come-hither look).

6. ElkHavenSeca

I hope that bike suits you. Most of the dual sports seem to tall and dirt bike like. I rode the fz 09 , the fjo9 , they felt tall to me. i rode my new FJR most of the day, and finished with my seca. To be honest i thought the seca felt great , shifted smoother and better . It felt comfortable and familiar. i just blew it off because of my long term relationship as being biased. The fjr after 100 miles gave me no fatigue in the butt or back. my knees also had no pain unlike the seca as it gives me all of the above, After riding 20 bikes the FJR seemed to fit more of my wants than any other and the fact that it is a descendant of the XJ750 was even better. It actually carves up the twisting country roads here almost as well as the seca at slower speeds. My opinion may change after a season of riding , but for now i cannot stop looking at it beside my seca and feeling excited about the season coming. I may try the heli bar risers to change the height a bit ,after i put some miles on it adjusting the stock bars to all positions first. I did move the seat to the tallest setting so as to unfold legs a bit . I am 6'2 ,

7. Ross1bd

Ross1bd Member

Beautiful! Really like the color. Glad to hear how comfortable a ride it is. I'm looking forward to an EPIC ride, summer 2017.
    Last fall I purchased a '93 FJ 1200/ABS. Am in the process of doing front forks (springs, valves. bushings and seals), SS brake lines with replacement calipers (Blue Dots) on the front, headlight and coil relays, new RPM rear shock, carb rebuild and tires. Whew!! Almost the cost of the bike (FJ's have Randy at RPM, almost as great as Len at XJ4ever). Pre-rebuild it was a monster, will be interesting after this stuff is installed and tweaked.
    All that being said, I'm still skeptical about a chain on a touring motorcycle. Will keep looking on Craigslist and FJRowners.com, missed a great deal in January(2006- asked $3500).
    I'm keeping my XJ900's for around town, but the 750 SECA is going. No interest, any more. The nines dealt it a death blow.
    Thanks for the subjective impressions, I'm tired of the reviews by young riders. Your FJR looks like it's moving fast when it's parked.
    Going to try some test riding when the weather gets nicer.

8. ElkHavenSeca

I still love the twisting country 2 lanes in the mountains of northern wa state on my Seca 750. I will never part with any of them. The young kids just want the bent over fast bikes, i have done all of that. What i want is a bike i can have some fun on in the mountains here and still ride all day. All i can say is i rolled on the throttle hard yesterday in third gear brought it up to 120 MPH in seconds in fifth gear and it was not only comfortable but stable too. The kids can give poor reviews all they want More FJR's for us.

k-moe likes this.
  9. k-moe

I like the dual-sport machines for the most-part. Dirt roads are plentiful here, and the extra ground clearance would be welcome. The only thing about the Tenere' O don't really like is the weight and it being a tad too top-heavy for me to feel confident going slow in the dirt. The only thing I don't care for on the FJ09 is that it's not a shaftie. Of course both of those options requre that I have money to spend, which to my mind is a bit unfair. I'll happily continue to tour and explore on the Seca in the meantime. It's really the most comfortable fit I've ever had in a motorcycle.

10. ElkHavenSeca

I love the 2 lane twisting country roads here on my seca. I will never loose the love of that. I got a great deal on the FJR which made it possible. That tenre ? you like is really expensive and too pretty for me to dump at slow speed in heavy gravel.lolYes i thought it would always be just me and my Seca's but at less than 5000 for a low mile pretty 2007 FJR i just had to try a Sport Touring bike for the season

k-moe likes this.
  11. Ross1bd

Ross1bd Member

Whatever makes us grin with that Cheshire cat sparkle in the eye smile from one side of my face to the other!!!
    That "Oh my god", ROAR!! kind of smile. Some days it happens at 25mph, going down a back country road.
    Some days it's seeing how tight a grip I can grab when I lean forward and ROTATE my right wrist. 60 to 120 in howevermany feet/signposts/roadmarkers.
    My motorcycles have given me a boon, and I truly, truly appreciate every minute of it!!

ElkHavenSeca likes this.
  12. jayrodoh

jayrodoh YimYam Premium Member

Beautiful! Both of em, is that a recent pic of the Seca? It's in nice shape.

13. ElkHavenSeca

Yes that is last summers Seca Pic !!

jayrodoh likes this.
  14. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Ross, your inbox is full.... I sent you an email instead---

Dave Fox

ElkHavenSeca likes this.
  15. ElkHavenSeca

Love them both

Attached Files:

quebecois59 likes this.
  16. hogfiddles

Awwwwe, isn't that pic cute? The bikes are making Googly-eyes at each other.

17. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

and we all know that leads to another bike in the family:rolleyes: . Have you had the talk with them both??;)

18. ElkHavenSeca

Yes we had the talk but with 3 Yamaha's and a kawi in the garage we cannot seem to decide on what the next child should be. Any ideas?

19. hogfiddles

Twins?

20. k-moe

Maybe Twingles?