1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Advice on Bolt Extraction

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by jake, Jun 17, 2016.

1. jake

jake New Member

The bolts that hold the instrument panel cluster to the headlight lamp bracket broke off in the lamp bracket.

I have tried penetration oil and using a extraction tool to no avail. In fact the tip of one of the extraction tools broke off in one side I was working on.

My neighbor who works on bikes said that chrome bracket is really tough. I can't get these things to budge. Neither one is broke off high enough to get anything on them.

Is it time to drill them out and re-thread them or is there something else I could do to safely get these animals out?

2. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

It would help to know which XJ you are working on. Engine size, Maxim or Seca.

3. Xjrider92117

Xjrider92117 Active Member

Pics always help to.

4. jake

jake New Member

Sorry about that. 1983 XJ750 Maxim.

Attached Files:

5. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

Yep, that happens and then those are a beast to get out! If you can find someone in your area that has an EDM machine (aka "stud burner"), that's the way to go, although it might not be cheap to do just one part.

6. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

^ what he said. Unfortuantely there isn't a chemical method that will work, because the bracket is steel too.

I would find a replacemment bracket on Ebay, then soak that one in a 50/50 mix of ATF and acetone for a few weeks before trying to extract the bolts. If you can save it you'll recoup the cost of the replacement bracket.

A good TIG welder might be amble to weld a nut on and get them out. The one the is broken off below the surface will be tricky though.

7. jake

jake New Member

Thanks. Sounds like I might miss my summer to ride trying to get this done. I will ask around about the stud burner.
    Fortunately there is one on EBay. Then I can try the mixture k-moe suggested.
    Thanks for helping me see what I'm up against guys

8. waldreps

waldreps Active Member

I had the exact same thing happen to me. I had to buy a replacement since I couldn't ever get the broken bolt out.

9. jayrodoh

jayrodoh YimYam Premium Member

Looks like it might be the same one as the 650. If so, I have a decent one with good threads if you need it. PM if interested.

10. jake

jake New Member

Thanks jayrodoh. I snagged the one on eBay yesterday cause it was the only one on there just like mine. Didn't think to ask here. Thanks again.