1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

650seca clanking driveshaft/ won't go

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by smeagol21b, Jul 20, 2016.

1. smeagol21b

smeagol21b Active Member

I understand what you're saying, at the same time a right is a right....and having a license doesn't guarantee they know what they aredoing ,they simply passed the test.....I personally see it as more of an illusion of knowledge/security....it's a feel good tactic much the TSA or printed security bands on medicine,s signing for credit card purchases and the like....credit card information is actually publicly available if you know where it look....in that sense I see licenses much the same way.... But that's just me though lol

2. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

So then you'd better make darn sure that you never drive any sort of motorized vehicle to get to work. Otherwise, you're trying to play both sides of the coin

That's all I'm saying, cuz it's not a debate that I'm going to worry about.

3. Big swede

Big swede Active Member

My Mother has a motorcycle licens, she's never ever been on a motorcycle.....so it's definatly not a guarantee....

smeagol21b likes this.
  4. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

SIgh........

You do know that that site (and all sites that profess to think the state has no right to license drivers) quotes snippets of case law out of context, and never mentions the actual findings of the court, and never cites a final ruling by an appellate court. Nobody has a consitutional right to operate a motor vehicle on public roads. The government can lawfully and constitutionally impose restrictions where there is a compelling state interest. Public safety is a compelling state interest. Licensing drivers to ensure a minimum standard of ability and knowledge is a compelling state interest. There are literally dozens of federal appellate court rulings on the matter.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2016
    Stumplifter and TheCrazyGnat like this.
  5. smeagol21b

smeagol21b Active Member

You're exactly right! That where licensing laws are actually valid it's kind of a catch 22.... So legally I could ride my bike for personal use but if I'd use it for work they could nail me....and there are plenty of won cases with this....but just to be clear I have my driver's license and will be getting my motorcycle license...just stating that it is actually legal to operate without one....

6. TheCrazyGnat

TheCrazyGnat Well-Known Member

It is absolutely legal to operate a motorcycle without a license... on private property, but, as others have said here, it's not going to fly on a public street. If you could somehow figure a way to stay on private property (with the permission of the property owners, of course) you could go pretty much anywhere in the US without a licence, car or otherwise. Hmmm, that would be an interesting stunt to pull: see how far you could get that way.

Anyway, I would definitely recommend taking the MSF course, if you can. It is free in our state, and you get your license at the end of it, assuming you pass. I have heard that it is a little easier than the PENNDOT one, and I would take any alternative to sitting around at the DMV anyway. Plus, you could get a break on your insurance too. My wife passed the test with literally no prior motorcycle riding experience. From the time she passed her permit to being fully licensed was two weeks, ha ha. She could have hopped right on a 'busa if she felt so inclined (and had married someone with greater financial means). There were several locations around me that you could take the course, and a lot of Harley dealerships offer them as well.

7. smeagol21b

smeagol21b Active Member

8. TheCrazyGnat

TheCrazyGnat Well-Known Member

Note that at the bottom of the page it says that some of the items might be paraphrased. A cursory examination of the actual cases finds that the editor(s) of this piece equate a parade permit with "license" , which is close enough if they weren't implying that it applied to a driver's license. I just looked at a random few of those cited, and they were all similarly misrepresented. I'm all for trying to keep the government honest, and knowing your rights, but you need to vet your sources. There are plenty of instances where the government hides, or actively discourages its citizens from exercising their rights (jury nullification, anyone?), it just doesn't seem like this is one of them.

k-moe likes this.
  9. hogfiddles

I FIRMLY believe that people are interpreting it wrong.

Just like the "right to free speech" issue. Sure we have the right, but there are inherent and/or consequences depending on just how/when where one decides to excercise that right.

The right to do something does mean you don't have to follow certain rules or certain aspects.

k-moe and DrewUth like this.
  10. DrewUth

DrewUth Active Member

I agree- the "right to travel" surely applies to any means of non-motorized travel. But when you add a motor vehicle into the mix, you must be licensed to operate on public roadways/land/etc. You can ride your horse, bicycle or dogsled anywhere you want free of charge though. Heck, you might even be able to get away with anything under 50cc's too- like a go-ped.

11. cgutz

cgutz Well-Known Member

1985...I'm ready to buy a motorcycle...I borrow a friend's bike, and practice for about 15 minutes. I go to take the motorcycle driving test. I pass it and get my license. Licensing lady said "You passed...barely..." Drove my new XJ550 off the lot 30 minutes later. Gotta love South Dakota - least regulated state in the USA.

FYI - at that time I asked the sheriff's office how I get a motorcycle learners permit. They didn't have one back then. There were no classes in this area. I asked him how I was supposed to learn to drive a motorcycle. He said, "Good question, I guess you drive carefully and don't get caught." Too funny.

DrewUth and TheCrazyGnat like this.
  12. hogfiddles

Another right that a lot of people seem to know very little about is the "right to remain silent"

Alan63 and smeagol21b like this.
  13. Big swede

Big swede Active Member

Is that a right.....where is the world going?

14. hogfiddles

something about a hand-basket comes to mind----

Lightcs1776 and Stumplifter like this.
  15. rocs82650

rocs82650 Well-Known Member

@OP: +1 for taking MSC and getting your license. Motorcycles don't turn corners; they roll corners.

Gary H.

Stumplifter likes this.
  16. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

If you have to ask..............then you don't want to know.

rocs82650 and Big swede like this.
  17. waldreps

waldreps Active Member

The biggest thing to get used to when turning a motorcycle at slow speeds is turning your head and looking where you want to go...at least it was for me. Don't look at the front tire or the ground in front of the tire. Here's a good link.

I agree with taking the MSF course. I learned a lot and got a lot more comfortable on the bike.

18. rocs82650

Decent vid. Wish he talked about pushing to roll the turn. A lot of new riders try to muscle their bikes to turn. I can roll a corner with a little nuhg on the bars and I'm by far no expert rider. I've spun my bike in a empty parking lot to see how low and tight a circle I could get. Scrapped the foot peg, she kicked out, got my attention and I haven't tried it since.

Gary H.

smeagol21b likes this.
  19. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

At slow speeds you don't usually initatate the turn by counter-steering, which is probably why pushing wasn't mentioned in the video.

smeagol21b likes this.
  20. rocs82650

True...he's in 1st feathering the clutch.My post is more in reference to at speed turning. I won't edit so the correction can be seen. Thanks.

Gary H.