1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Fuel tank

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by VTGanja420, Jul 13, 2016.

1. dkavanagh

dkavanagh Well-Known Member Premium Member

Or, hogfiddles, you could just buy it off him!

VTGanja420 and hogfiddles like this.
  2. DrewUth

DrewUth Active Member

Smoke less of that VTGanja420 and you might be able to get it running...

Big swede likes this.
  3. VTGanja420

VTGanja420 Member

because theres literally 1 good used tank on ebay for 200$ and the only other tanks i can get are from here for 600+, with that kinda money i can put a down payment on something nice in the 4k range and only have to deal with routine maintenance until something goes and get the part quick and easy, do the work and ride with a bit of peace of mind for once. it sucks being a first time ( legally) rider on a bike that you constantly wonder if its gunna leave ya stranded on the side of the road again. as it is ive torn my carb apart and cleaned, when i mean clean, i mean i could eat off it any day of the week clean 4x before the recent snafu, rebuilt it, un seated, reseated, un seated, reseated to death the carbs. ive never had anything work on something so hard that feels like its working against me in my life. totally was not prepaired to have to pamper this toy like a child xD. and i found out i gotta remove the exhaust to change the oil (also a first for me) which took a routine 30 min job to a 2 hour process of coming up with new creative seca related curse words xD.

-edit- thats the middle gear plug under my exhaust, not the main plug! bullet dodged!

Last edited: Jul 22, 2016
  4. VTGanja420

VTGanja420 Member

i code in 3 languages for fun, ganja is not the problem. ive also had work go into space on the ISS smoking 4-6 grams a day, please stfu about my lifestyle and stick to the topics at hand and leave your archaic 'reefer madness' propaganda speaches at home. kthnxbye ^.-

5. VTGanja420

VTGanja420 Member

seriously 2 days before my tank started to leak again i was on cloud nine with er. ran strong, amaizing responce ( never rode a shaft bike b4 this one) and even with stock pipes is sounds mean. just jaded at how quick some lil problem leads to near catastrophic engine failure with older stuff @,@

6. TheCrazyGnat

TheCrazyGnat Well-Known Member

Hey, for what its worth, it sounds like you are really close here! I know it sucks to be doing all this wrenching when all you want to do is ride, but on the other side of things, once you're done, you will KNOW exactly where things stand with your carbs, tank, etc. Buying a newish bike might get you on the road now, but who know if you will be doing something similar in a few months with the new one? My neighbor just "upgraded" from a really nice older bike he had to a newer one, only had it for a few months and now there is something wrong with the gears and it will be over 1k just for a shop to look at it (requires splitting the cases)! Have you thought about maybe looking for a tank other than the 750 Seca one? Whatever you choose to do, good luck!

k-moe likes this.
  7. waldreps

waldreps Active Member

I'm pretty sure DrewUth was joking. No need to be so defensive. Everybody here is pretty cool and willing help anybody.

DrewUth and Lightcs1776 like this.
  8. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

That is not the case unless you have an aftermarket 4-1 exhaust on her.
    The oil drain plug is right next to the oil filter housing, and both can be removed without needing to remove anythng else.

I recomissioned my Seca just a little over 4 years ago; went though all the trouble and frustration that you are. This is the first year that I have not taken her on a multi-day. multi-state trip, and that's only because the house needed to be re-painted and have some exterior trim repaired, so my solo-traveling budget is nil this year. Keep at' er.

edit ( just saw your edit about the middle gear plug. no need to ever touch that).

Last edited: Jul 22, 2016
  9. VTGanja420

VTGanja420 Member

yep, i found er lol and got baptized in gas and oil @.@ its still got a doggy low rp sputter 2-3k rpm (i replaced all the plugs today aswell). and it feel like its a lil low on oil, all the guide i see say 2500ml ish ( 2 2/3Q) but it sounds like its runnin a lil pingy maybe (not sure if i can post a vid here or if i gotta upload it to my youtube channel and post a link here) but ill work on getting some more info out of er after its cool. took it for a spin now that its runnin well enough to do so.

10. VTGanja420

VTGanja420 Member

oh!! and JBWeld watersomethingorother *the white compound*(ill look when i hit the garage) is holding on my tank, looks like shit, but aesthetics come later :p

TheCrazyGnat likes this.
  11. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

The correct oil level is seen with the sight glass, and cast into the clutch cover is the volume (2500 cc for the sump, plus some for the filter). being low on oil will not cause pinging. Improper fuel mixture, or low octane fuel causes pinging (you don't need to worry about octane; low-test pump gas is what's called for).

You say that you got baptixed in gas and oil. Did that happen when you drained the sump, or was the gas a seperate thing?

12. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Let's see ----carbs.........

650- cleaned the carbs once, 15 years ago, still running strong
    900 - cleaned the carbs once 5 years ago, still running strong
    700 - cleaned the carbs once 6 years ago, still running strong

I can keep listing.......

Point is - clean the carbs the right way, and they'll be no trouble.

Bring it over here, I'll take it off your hands for free.

Dave

ecologito, rocs82650 and k-moe like this.
  13. rocs82650

rocs82650 Well-Known Member

WARNING!: If you do you might regret it cause hf might post a video of it purring like a kitten and riding it even better.Think about it; or not.

Gary H.

VTGanja420 and hogfiddles like this.
  14. Guestdawg

Guestdawg Member

I got this 650 tank off someone who started on it I picked up cheap bc the outside is rough the inside isn't bad tho no pin holes and little bit of rust that shouldnt be bad to clean up I was gonna use it on my bike bc honestly the inside is in better shape than what I got on now I'm switching to the 750 so this tank means nthn to me and it sounds like you could use a tank if you want it pm me and we can work something out 1469324788060-1032758549.jpg 1469324923352-1811437358.jpg 1469325784741330662338.jpg

VTGanja420 likes this.
  15. rocs82650

@dawg: He has a 750 Seca. It'll be a beast if he gets it dialed in.

Gary H.

VTGanja420 likes this.
  16. Guestdawg

Guestdawg Member

17. Guestdawg

Guestdawg Member

Idk how that just happened phone glitched up on me but yeah I didn't see he had a seca not my brightest moment there lol

VTGanja420 likes this.
  18. rocs82650

Fist bump; you were trying to help him.That's what this forum is all about unless the op feels otherwise.

Gary H.

Guestdawg likes this.
  19. VTGanja420

VTGanja420 Member

k another update, the waterweld is holding and took primer fine! i added an inline filter to stave all gas related problems from my scope of searching. @k-moe it was a mix of both gas and oil ( just did it again today, another 9$ in synthetic oils down the proverbial drain x.x) but i seems to have found the problems with both being in the case. (took a few pics after i tore it down again today to make sure the ethanol gas didnt eat my needles, which ill post up after my explanation) it turns out that i had a broken float arm and it was patched with what lookst o be the watery 2 part dual tube JBWeld! picking up a cylinder of argon tomorrow to Tig it back into place * it looks like it fits beautifully part to part and looks like the weld will take nicely* and one of my pins ( i may have said something about this in one of my first posts) was lost somehow *literally noone went in the garage the day it was apart, seriously poofed @,@* one of my float pins, so my dad fashioned one outta one of his pin gauges (.99 is too tight and restricted some float movement vs the other 3, we went to .94 to match the others) and just brought that to factory spec again. ill post the pics of the carb shit i found after rebuilding it once and cleaning it twice b4 the oil/gas problem and ill post my vid in a new post for the carbs to cut this threads scope back to the original :). here they be [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    as you can see, it reeked havok on em @,@ and put me down 1 1/2 cans of carb cleaner again xD ( also note these are b4 i cleaned the oil sludge and residual shit from everything :p)

20. VTGanja420

VTGanja420 Member

for the reccord, the non turbo 650/750 tanks are interchangeable -its on the xj section about the tanks, only reason i know xD- but it dont look bad atall!! you should have seen the pos i got for 65$ off ebay @,@. if my tank give me more problems in the future ill def hit you up on that, keep it stored well! its a nice part :)